1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress The Mineral Oil PC - 3/24/2011 - More leaks :(

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by legoman666, 29 Jan 2009.

1. bfelda

bfelda ____

That lighting really adds that Abyss look. This is just awesome! Too bad you didn't have the CCFL's at the lan.

2. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

Thanks ;)

My thoughts exactly :( It would have really helped it to stand out.

I considered white but ended up going with red to match the feet (which I've been too lazy to power up. To do so, I need to resolder a wire and then bring a 3.3v line up from the mobo power connector which is more trouble than it's really worth. Maybe I'll do it the next time I drain the tank.) I should have gone with blue green and stuck a speaker inside the case and looped the soundtrack from Chemical Zone from Sonic :p

They do indeed look awesome :thumb: They really show the movement of the oil.

I really hope that this oil is just seeping out finally and not from a new leak...

[​IMG]

Fack.

3. legoman666

Fack. It appears that I have a new leak(s). I haven't pinpointed all of the locations yet, but it looks like the damned seals on the bulkhead fittings are going to pot already. On top of that, the tank itself is leaking in the back. There may be more locations. I swear, I have the worst luck with liquid cooling. I've lost 3-4 video cards to the water cooling gods and now this is the second leak in my oil cooled machine. I want to literally throw the thing out the f*cking window.

[​IMG]
    This is the bottom threading of one of the bulkhead fittings that transfer the oil from the tank to the rads. The seal is degrading rapidly or expanding or something. Either way, it looks like oil is leaking through 2 of the 3 fittings. Fack.

[​IMG]
    Even more serious is this leak. I got $10 on this leak being due to the acrylic expanding. I f*cking knew I should have sealed the joints with silicone. fack fack.

[​IMG]
    And so out all of the oil comes. I'll deal with this crap some other time when I'm not so angry.

And it was all going so well.....

:(

4. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

HI BILLY MAYS HERE WITH MIGHTY PUTTY! YOU CAN USE IT TO REPAIR YOUR SCREWED UP WATERCOOLING IN YOUR COMPUTER!!!

:D

sorry about the leaks man.....

5. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Dude that really sucks man, I hope you can get it all fixed.

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Permatex time on the bulkhead seals. (Wait... it's oil resistant, but is it mineral oil resistant?)
    I don't remember. Did you use acrylic glue on the tank, or just silicone? This could be fixed with some strips of plexi and a healthy dose of IPS #16 gel glue.
    What I see in the second pic- visible cut marks on the plexi edge. That tells me you didn't get any seal there. I also see a gap between the edge and the silicone. tl;dr= there's nothing in the seam to hold it together, (but you knew that.)
    Overkill is a good thing in plumbing and aquariums. We can rebuild him. *Six Million Dollar Man theme starts.* :D

No silicone this time. -Proper fusing glue.

7. ringo

ringo What's a Dremel?

Good Case, and very cool whith the oil cooling.

8. bagman

bagman Minimodder

that reallyu unluky but don't through your case out of the window because it is really quite good honest

9. Buddharoxor

Buddharoxor Fubar'd at birth

Good luck throwing it out the window. I hope you have a strong back. :)

Time to get a tube of silicon and start fixing it all.

10. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

ditto on the fack remark!

looking good hope all goes well

11. CumminSport

CumminSport My dremel is turbo diesel powered!

Wow awesome design. I am planning something very similar. I plan to screw all the acrylic together. A LONG time ago i worked for Fairport Marine Co. in Fairport, Ohio... We built C&C and Tartan Yachts. We used a glue/sealant called Silaprene to glue and seal the hull and deck together! Worked wicked! I am planning to use that at ALL joints!

Also, as for your seals, you need to make sure they are NOT natural rubbers. Your going to need seals made for oils. RTV is your friend. haha. I was thinking about directly taping the material then threading in NPT fittings with rtv or pipe dope on them.

I haven't gotten to read all of your thread, have you had any evaporation issues?

Where in Ohio are you located. I live in a suburb of Cleveland and work with robotics all day.. fun fun!

Keep up the good work. :rock:

12. legoman666

Thanks! Good luck with your project. Be sure that your sealant is mineral oil resistant. I was able to find a lot of information by simply using Google. You're right about my seals, I was talking to a co-worker today and she immediately knew what was wrong. I mentioned that my fittings were all leaking around the included rubber O-rings. She's like, "Let me guess, they're swelling." Yup. Apparently we have a material at work that can be custom cut to fit that should play nice with the oil.

How thick are your walls going to be such that you'll be able to screw the sheets together? You better post a project log here!

As for evaporation, no, none whatsoever. This oil does not seem to evaporate at all.

I'm in Cincinnati, Ohio. Born and raised ;)

Where were you a month ago, lol.

It shouldn't be impossible, just a major pain in the ass. I have to completely drain the tank, remove the computer from the case and make 100% sure that the oil is gone before I try to seal the joints with silicone.

I just used acrylic glue, no sealant. I really don't want to add more plexi to the corners, I think it would mar the simplicity of the design. As for the gap, you're right. The sheets of plexi were only about 99.99% square. I really put a lot of glue into the joints where there were small gaps, but apparently I didn't get enough in this particular corner.

Thanks ;)

Haha, I still haven't ruled it out completely.

Ya fool, you know how buff I am....

Cheers!

Thanks for keeping faith everyone. Hopefully I'll get started on repairing the leaks this weekend. Draining every last bit of the oil and cleaning out the tank will be difficult. Until next time...

13. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

bah, after what you have been through im sure that you can handle that no probs :thumb:
    just take your time and be methodical, it should be ok.

but if you are goint to throw it out of the window, let me know so i can come and catch it...( i might break my back, but its probably worth the risk)

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Add material where it can't bee seen.;)

@Cumminsport - Welcome to Bit-Tech. Plexiglas can be fused into a single part, don't bother with screws! :D

15. CumminSport

CumminSport My dremel is turbo diesel powered!

I did find the glue here... http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Lexan_Polycarbonate_Glue

I still worry about leaks, since LegoMan glued his together.

LegoMan - Those feet you were doing are AWESOME!

I was thinking of sandblasting a design in the glass too... Whatever you dont mask off takes the blasting and then if you light it from the bottom the blasted area glows...

16. cptcrunch

cptcrunch What's a Dremel?

nice mod, hopefully you will find the leaks without too much trouble

17. legoman666

I finally went to take a closer look at the leaks yesterday. While inspecting, I noticed that all of the caps on the motherboard are starting to pop off. They have a plastic base (my theory anyway) that seems to be swelling with oil and causing one side of the caps to come loose from the motherboard. The weird thing is that only seems to be happening to the motherboard; the video card, sound card, and power supply are all fine. I guess it's brand specific.

18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

Oh that sounds wonderful! Has it affected the stability yet?

19. Buddharoxor

Buddharoxor Fubar'd at birth

Uh oh....

20. pulse

pulse How do I overclock my modem?

Well, it's not all lost.. Soldering new caps is easy and they're cheap. You'd probably be able to fix it in a day..

I think using silicone is a bad idea. I read from some diy aquarium tutorial (sry forgot the link but it was on first page of a google search) that silicone won't adhere to acrylic well and will leak again soon (oil swelling too), and what's worse it blocks the leak so you won't be able to fix it with glue later.

IMO Cheapskate is right about adding material. Perhaps acrylic shavings mixed with the solvent? Or stripping the metal frame and adding acrylic sheets to the outside of the case and then reassembling the frame?

If there were material warping/cut marks in joints during construction it's bad..
    Hang in there.