1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Most Disappointing Game you ever played?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by cmberry20, 29 Apr 2008.

1. cmberry20

cmberry20 Mad Scientist

How about the other COD or Medal of Honor games - did you like those?

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

The original Call Of Duty, was and to an extent still is awesome. UO the same. MoH was great for it's time. Everything from CoD 2 onwards was terrible.

3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Well, i have to say i did enjoy the single player, and it was nice to be playing something other than WW2.

Sam

4. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

to be honest everything i have bought in the Last 2 years has dissapointed me nothing can quite replace the hold that WoW had over me for 6 months

some notable poor attempts:
    hellgate london (poor!!!)
    Oblivion graphically very nice but a bad desicion making everyone the same level
    stranglehold (although actuallly very fun in short bursts)
    Stalker, not an open game as advertised
    quake wars, what like 12 maps come on!!!
    theres other s that dont spring to mind

notably decent but not quite:
    supreme commander (still dont feel computers are powerfull enough for it)
    crysis (waiting for rv770 before making a judgement)
    WiC looking forward to playing this
    PES2008 (actually spend most of my time on this for the last 2 months)
    C&C3 completed and enjoyed this much but not as much as RA2

5. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

i think what disappointed me about COD4 most was how short the single player was. and how typically boring it was too. it was just an amalgamation of all the classic "pretty good but thoroughly mediochre" fps there have been in the past 5 years with some nice graphics, poorer storyline and then a dash of wetness about it.

the reason COD1 and UO were so good is because historic shooters are always better, there is something very gag-worthy about playing as a pumped up redneck yank who's excited because "i ain't seen these guns back home".....

6. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Whitelist Bit-Tech in your adblock!

COD2 was exactly like COD, but with shinier guns, stupider enemies and less atmosphere.

My candidate for most disappointing, though, is Legacy of Kain: Defiance. The only good thing about it was the storyline, and even that was a bit lame and slow compared to Soul Reaver 2.

I agree with assertions made against counterstrike. Never managed to make it enjoyable, by the time I got it everybody was absurdly good and/or botted to the point of invincibility. And the maps weren't the original ones, they were all stupid floatey custom-made ones with horrendous sound effects and lurid textures. Pure *****.

7. SimoomiZ

SimoomiZ Member

I actually moderately liked Doom3 it was just varied enough towards the end, but if you think that became a stale routine-samey game, Resurrection of evil(expansion) was totally stale, only paid a £5 for it so no hurt feelings tho . Another big let down was Condemned(pc) bought after your (bit) recommendation, the combat is so repetitive with limited moves.

This for me is the big problem with all the FPShooter games however, Hl2,bioshock. The movement possibilities just aren't challenging enough to offer any replay value, even HL2, although having a great story, Gordon never even has challenging duck /jump/sprint combinations to get anywhere, hell 2d Donkey kong and Manic miner required more timing than the modern games, indeed PC games were harder to complete in 1984:eeek: progress:wallbash:. This trend to dumb down is leaving the competitive FPS scene crying out for a hard to master movement wise, complex fps UT and CS are the nearest at the mo I guess.

8. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

star con 3 was a dissapointment for me. after the greatness of the second one.

9. SubtleOne

SubtleOne New Member

CIV 4 - Well, the highest rated game I jst wasn't wowed by, despite the ultra high grades, was Civ4, and I was a big Civ guy. It just didn't grab me frankly. On the other hand, the disappointment led me to Galactic Civilizations II (and the amazing expansion packs), a Civ in space, which has brought me many sleepless nights.

Doom3 - I had played and loved Quake 4 SP, so expected to have a good time with this. Unfortunately the game was so damn dark, and yes I increased the brightness, it was a major pain.

Prey - I also had high hopes for this based on the hype, but it failed to grab me. The ideas were interesting, but I wasn't enthralled.

Neverwinter Nights 2 - Man was this a letdown. I think it stems from the battles being so easy it was no fun for the most part, plus the graphics were considerably weaker than Oblivion which came out same time, if slightly before. The 3D was weird too, and had issues with viewing angles that were a nuisance too. Needless to say, I didn't bother with the sequels.

10. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Frontlines - Fuel of War.

It well and truely SUCKED. I tried to figure atleast something positive in the game, but NO, it both sucks and blows at the same time.

EDIT:
    I checked the last page and I must say I didn't like F.E.A.R or Crysis either. FEAR was hyped for the graphics at the time, but the thing was that I couldn't see any goddamn graphics because the goddamnt game takes place in goddamn dark tunnels. Crysis? Oh what hype? Yeah the graphics are mmkay and physics may or may not be ok as well, but so what? I didn't find the game entetertaining or addicting at all. I tried a couple of hours and only found out that it's just another tunnel-running game in camouflage. Just go invisible, creep closer, shoot everyone in the head and do the same thing over and over again. Maybe I missed something, dunno.

Last edited: 14 May 2008
  11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Damn you!

*goes off and plays GalCivII for 4 days straight*

12. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

nonono! civ 3 yes, poor because spearmen could whup tanks, but civ 4 is awesome!

13. SubtleOne

SubtleOne New Member

Mod it.

14. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Having to mod a game to make it good makes it disappointing IMO.

15. banshee256

banshee256 New Member

X3 - Far, far too steep learning curve.
    EVE Online - No manual controls, combat seems very un-intuitive and boring, takes ages and ages to get the right skills.
    Deus Ex 2: Invisible War - Buggy, watered down and just plain rubbish.
    Oblivion - Nice graphics... And that's all there is in that game. No decent story, no gameplay, no fun.
    Any sequel or spin-off to the original X-COM. They all tried to fix what wasn't broken: the gameplay. And, as a result, it completely vanished from the games.
    Age of Empires 3. Railroads? Tradestations? What happened to swords, knights and trebuchets?

And I know it isn't out yet, but I fully expect to be utterly disappointed with Fallout 3.

16. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

DarkStar One

17. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

couldn't agree more. that whole card system was utter shite, who really cares about a reinforcement of 4-6 troops? i don't bother attacking unless i have at least 30

18. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

+1, demo was quite promising, worked well, had nice gameplay. Actual game was buggy as hell and was just a repeat of the demo over and over.

19. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Bioshock - I had always said this at the start when it was so hyped up that apart from graphics it offers nothing new. The story was interesting...for about a couple of hours but then you simply dont care anymore.

Deus Ex - Started it and ended it within the first 5 minutes. I have no idea what the hype about this game was but either when you turn a game on it grabs you by the nuts and says "your in for a hellava ride" or it doesnt. This was the latter.

Frontlines Fuel of War - I bought it and sold it the same day. I made a loss of £4 on it but it was worth getting it off my hands. Big waste of time and was like taking a step back in game development - not forward.

Command and conquer 3: just feels like the others. It was fun for about an hour and then you realise theres no more units to build because you get them all in the first 5 minutes and its just all upgrades. Severely lacked depth in any form and horribly bugged online play.

Halo 3 - what the hell was the hype about? it offers nothing groundbreaking except more of the same. Yes its good a buddy can play with you and online play and all but its all nothing new, nothing attention grabbing.

COD4 - I didnt like it. There i said it. Well it was good, it was ok, a solid 7.5/10 perhaps but what is the hype about? You die far too easily, you have no vehicles and the charectors run like they have soiled themselves. Graphics are good yes but they dont seem "fluent" enough in their animation - soldiers dont run like they need the potty, you die far too easy without knowing who the hell shot you and its all reaction based. I got pretty good at it but at that point i shrugged my shoulders and thought - Meh what does it matter? when i reformat my computer il lose it all. YES you lose your profile and need to start again if you reformat - the stats/weapons arnt saved on any online servers but your own harddrive and profiles folder - very stupid.

20. Idioteque

Idioteque Telephasic Mongoose

This severely ticked me off... albeit I didn't actually get to a high rank before reformatting... but losing all progress if you change anything in the profiles folder? bloody annoying. How simple would it be to have an online backup on their servers?