1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The mountain biking thread!

Discussion in 'General' started by JuMpErFLY, 26 May 2006.

1. orb

orb satisfying.

I always wanted a DHi when i started downhilling, how do they ride?

2. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I have an '05 K2 Attack 2.0 that I bought a year or so ago, and it has spent way too long in the closet.

I'm going to run out and grab some tires over the weekend, then I'll see if I can take some pics in the mountains. (I live down the street from an open space division in the Sandia Mountains, here in New Mexico, yet have only taken the trails 2 or 3 times!)

My difficulty in mountainbiking comes when riding popular trails, and I'm way out of shape (I'm on a geek forum posting about bikes, after all :p ) so I have to keep losing momentum so I can allow others to pass.

I'm considering using my bike as a commuter bike until I get into shape. (I'd assume riding this with slicks to work 11 miles away each day would get me into shape pretty quick though!)

3. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Oh god, we have those at work :wallbash: Worst value for the money I've ever seen! Those bikes are made by Iron Horse, and utilize most of the same components that IH put onto their lower end warrior/maverick bikes (95% of the stuff you have on there will be found on the maverick team).

Oh, and if you're wondering, I'm not a huge fan of IH/K2 after working with/for them for a while...

@Stickeh
    Try a different chain. As odd as it may sound, I had a pin slip on my current chain, and it did the exact same thing as you describe. Though it could be anything from a worn out derailleur, to a worn out chain, even a worn out cog (as it is the smallest cog on your rear cassette, it is easily replaced by a good dealer)

@unrealhippie
    Flat pedals? How about platform? These are what I've got right now. They're grippy as hell, and will very seriously hurt and injure you if you slip and fall - though you never have to worry about your foot coming off!

4. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

I was thinking of crank brothers 5050 X PEDALS:
    [​IMG]

Or perhaps DMR V12's... then again i've never ridden clipless - I might be missing out!

5. orb

orb satisfying.

Get some brooklyn shinburgers if you want grip :p

and no shins

6. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

Anyone use clipless pedals? I've seen the crank bro's eggbeater C's....
    [​IMG]

7. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

I use CB Mallets, basically eggies with a platform round them so you can ride down to the shops on them, and also get more support on the trail. We've got a batch of OEM ones in work at the mo for £50 the pair so I figured they'd be worth trying :)

The 50/50s get mixed reviews, some say the standard pins give next to no grip whilst some say they are fine. Stay away from shinburgers! DMRs are alright, great grip with terror pins (although I have a matching set of scars on the back of my calf...) but I've grown to like a larger pedal.

[edit]Wellgo pedals are actually pretty good too, they make pedals for some of the larger manufacturers too but their own-brand B47s are good kit.

[​IMG]

8. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

I had a set of the Titanium version on my [stolen] DMR. I don't know if they still do them, but they were very nice.

9. orb

orb satisfying.

Shinburgers are stunning pedals, i had a pair for awhile while my friend was waiting for his new bike. There damn good grip , shame about how they just rip pads and shins apart

10. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

They ride pretty well. A bit on the stiff side, but nothing a quick adjustment (or shock replacmenet) can't take care of.

Try it. You won't regret it.

11. Bbq.of.DooM

I'm not really a fan of clipless, they don't give me the control and feel that I like. Some people like them, I don't. I'd take normal pedals anyday.

12. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

I've been using a pair of these for the past few years and they been faultless so far. I recently greased them up and replaced the pins, they feel as good as new now. Nice n' wide and they only cost me £20 new at the time.

If your not sure what to get then you can't go wrong with V12's, I also like the Easton's but they are a bit pricey.
    [​IMG]

13. Bbq.of.DooM

I'm just wondering, what pedals should I get for my bike (norco atomik, 2004, marzocci monster T)? I don't like clipless.

14. DarkReaper

How do you ride? If you ride without shinpads you won't be wanting anything too savage, unless your chick really digs scars... Shoes can make more difference to grip than pedals, if you get yourself a pair of Impact 5.10 shoes then even cheapy pedals will stick to your soles like glue. Vans are another popular choice for their waffled sole.

Also, what's your budget? For money no object, burgtec penthouse flats are the way to go, but some (most) may object to dropping over a ton on their pedals. DMR are a good budget choice.

And to change the topic completely, how great is this weather? It's been dry here in belfast for nearly a week and the trails are actually beginning to get dusty, it's a marvellous treat for those of us used to gloop and grime :clap: On the downside however I had to dig three thorns out of my front tire yesterday... Stupid plants :wallbash:

15. Bbq.of.DooM

That's actually not too bad, 125£.

I rock a GT DHi with a Marzocchi Monster-T (just got them today, the 888r's are going onto the other bike), Roco 3" rear, Shimano XTR, custom machined Ti Disks.

16. Bbq.of.DooM

Oh, and the weather here is decent. Nearly perfect for biking, but I don't think that Whistler is open for biking yet :(

17. Bbq.of.DooM

The pedals have been ordered. Awaiting shipment :)

I'm also in the market for a new derailer (front and back), the XTR's aren't to my liking.

18. DarkReaper

Come to the SRAM side, you know you want to!

My new cranks arrived today for the singlespeed, Charge Regulars. Lovely graphics on them, look pretty sweet. Ordered a DMR chainring from CRC there this evening, hopefully it'll arrive by monday so I can get the BB properly faced and have a go on it! :D

Trails still dry in belfast, we were leaving dust clouds in our wake yesterday! Apologies for hammering on but this just never happens, it's approaching scary fast in places - excellent!

BBQ - damn you canadians, eh? Whistler, hmm... :lol:

19. Bbq.of.DooM

Hmm... I'm considering. I'm impressed by them.

Yeah, whistler. It's pretty good there, haven't been much, but I suggest you go there if you can.

I live about 4 hours from whistler.

20. DarkReaper

The farthest I've ever travelled to cycle is about 40 minutes drive! Mainmly cos there aint much worth riding in NI... Scottyland is the next target, maybe over the summer...