1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News The National Museum of Computing gets £1M pledge

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 3 Sep 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Shirty

Shirty Time travelling rogue Super Moderator

It would be a real shame if our nation's unbelievable computing history is allowed to fade into obscurity. I'd urge anyone who can visit this museum to do so, and if you can't then perhaps a small donation in recognition of the influence this has had on all of us wouldn't be too much to ask.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Wot 'e said. Also, if you're on a budget, you don't have to pay the (quite high, in my opinion) Bletchley Park entry fee: just tell 'em at the desk you're here for TNMOC, and they'll let you through for free. You'll then just have to pay £5 (£2.50 concessions, free for under 12s) at TNMOC itself.

4. Rustynutts

Rustynutts New Member

Visited this fab place last weekend it was a brill day, even though the wife thought is was going to be boring, even she was surprised at the amount of history there.

5. Shirty

Shirty Time travelling rogue Super Moderator

It was a huge contributing factor to the outcome of WWII. That should be interesting to anyone with a passing interest in anything interesting.

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Not just WWII, but the dawn of computing - British computing was at the forefront of technology and innovation. British computers were the first to be used for corporate business applications (stock control and payroll for Lyons Tea Houses).

British computing technology was a world-class leader. It's taken 50 years for that power to come back in the form of ARM.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Still beggars belief that TNMOC isn't classified as a proper National museum. How ministers don't think its an institution that holds collections considered to be of national importance is beyond me.

8. PingCrosby

PingCrosby New Member

Mr Sheen is much cheaper