1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases The New Build - Been a While.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SB-1991, 29 Jul 2012.

1. SB-1991

SB-1991 New Member

So it's been years since I last properly read about PC hardware or upgraded my PC which I sold last January. All I have left from that PC now is a Coolermaster Cosmos, in the shed.

So not knowing much I'll take this one step at a time, step one is the case. Any recommendations on cases? Budget isn't really an option. I will say I wasn't much of a fan of the Coolermaster Cosmos, it was just a bit to large, think I'd like something a bit smaller. Right now, water cooling isn't an option, just for the reason I'm to scared! But it's something I'd consider.

Any replies, much appreciated.

2. Xahl

Xahl Your mum's a Dremel

3. SB-1991

SB-1991 New Member

I'm actually considering a DimasTech Easy bench. I know this is a test bench, but I like the idea of the hardware having free flowing air all around, and the ability to quickly upgrade components in the future.

Thoughts?

4. Xahl

Xahl Your mum's a Dremel

Hmm quite good for constant overclocking, changing hardware and benchmarking, if that's your plan. Not sure I would use a test bench as my main case though, lack of dust filters...etc

5. SB-1991

SB-1991 New Member

I've never overclocked but I'd try once I understood what I was doing. That's one thing, dust, is dust damaging to components? I already thought of buying those 'plugs' for spare sockets like the PCI slots to keep the dust out of there.

6. Xahl

Xahl Your mum's a Dremel

One of the main problems will be dust clogging up your cooling or combining with moisture to form gunk on your mobo. This can create issues if it gets in contact with some buses, cause malfunctions and eventually short the whole board.

The dust itself won't cause the most damage but the removal will, specifically static charge. There aren't any fool proof ways of removing dust once its there either (air dusters just blow dust around, cloth's and vacuum cleaners build up masses of static). The best thing to do is prevent dust with covers and filters.

7. Mrmelon98

Mrmelon98 When's a Dremel?

Corsair C70 is a good mid-tower for a gaming PC

8. Xahl

Xahl Your mum's a Dremel

Personally I like the 550D but that test bench is quite expensive so you could either get a really nice case with decent air flow or save a bundle on something more reasonable.

9. SB-1991

SB-1991 New Member

Really undecided ATM. I do like the TJ07 I think is the number but not sure, things with space at the bottom for water cooling kit might not be useful to me. I don't want something to big, I've had the Thermaltake Armor and the Cosmos in the past, each had like 10 front bays. I only need 1.