1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News The new future of water cooling? Water flows uphill without pump

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 1 May 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

nice :)

Last edited: 1 May 2006
  3. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

Sounds interesting, although the CPU would need to be kicking some serious heat out if they were using water...

- H.

4. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

surely the cpu would have to be way above 100 celsius to do this? i dont know of any chips that can safely fun at that temp. do you?

unless they use a different liquid that has a lower boiling point such as the various types of alchohol

5. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I posted a similar article in the Extreme Cooling forums in March. The kind denizens of Bit-Tech already pointed out several flaws. Of course, it seems like the idea is still in its infancy; who knows what these scientists will come up with in the near future?

-monkey

6. Comrade Penguin

Comrade Penguin New Member

Wouldn't have thought so. 100 degrees celsius is when water turns into a gas but you get water vapour which this uses from anything above zero. Higher the temprature the more water vapour (with the same amount of time and water in the system) hence the more this system would shift. If this wasn't the came how would get humidity? Also many of you are forgetting that water can change states not on due to heat but also due to pressure so in a pressurised system these tempratures would be much lower.

Last edited: 1 May 2006
  7. Hans Voralberg

Hans Voralberg New Member

How far do we have to go to get from one droplet to about 300ml of liquid ?

8. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Active Member

It'll be some time before this is performance cooling. ;)
    At the moment, and thats even after it works I can only seeing this being for uber-silence.

9. Axly

Axly slo-mo...dder

I'm very interested in this particular statement...
    Currently laptops use external heatpipes attached to the chip to provide cooling, but these require additional power and generate heat themselves.
    additional power? generate heat? As far as I know the heatpipes in laptops are exactly that, heatpipes... A copper tube containing some sort of low dewpoint cooling media and possibly some added sintering or other capillary effect enhancer on the inner walls, no added power, no added heat.

To be honest I have some problems seeing the revolution here.

10. Adnuo

Adnuo Banned

The process works in a similarlyl to who water reacts when water droplets are dropped onto a steaming pan.

Proofreading, please?

11. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Well despitre the doubts whether it works like someone mentioned it's new, I hope they improve this discovery to make it viable for use in Computers of the future, sounds very interesting anyway...

12. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

um...

(emphasis added)

Last time I checked, there are no pumps in heatpipes. All the laptops I've built (most of the Sager lineup, several Uniwills, and an ASUS) have heatpipes with no pumps.

For that matter, what is an "external heatpipe"?

13. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

It's a public holiday in the UK today and it seems editorial focus wasn't where it should've been. The story has now been edited so it actually makes some sense.

To clarify, laptops use heatpipes, which have nothing to do with pumps, or watercooling for that matter. The original text quoted by Techno-Dann appears to refer to Thermo Electric Coolers (TECs) otherwise known as Peltier Coolers. These a) require lots of current, b) generate heat themselves and c) are often watercooled themselves, using a pump.

Apologies for the confusion.

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

The byproduct of shoddy research.

Keep in mind that in a mild vacuum, water boils at room temperature. To demonstrate this, take a clear plastic syringe, fill it with water about halfway, cover the opening with your finger and pull the squeegee thing back further.

Nonetheless, it's a very cool thing and hopefully will end up being more than some stupid research project.

15. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

I wonder how much force/pressure something like this can operate under. Seems like applying this discovery to watercooling it wouldn't have enough pressure to move quickly enough through the blocks and radiators to be efficient. cool idea though!

16. unrealhippie

unrealhippie New Member

Hmm, if you need something really hot to move it - Peltiers might just be the solution aswell as lowering temps for the processing unit itself.

17. Adnuo

Adnuo Banned

Therefore completely defeating the point. If you're gonna use a peltier, use a peltier. The idea here is pumpless watercooling without the need for a reservoir, meaning it can be used in things like laptops, and it will eliminate the noisiest and most touchy component in a watercooling system.

Nonetheless, it's nowhere near practical right now. Maybe in 10 years, but not right now. It's basically a heatpipe with water, meaning it cools better, as the general physics behind a heatpipe are that it transfers heat regardless of angle, direction, etc. etc.

18. Lineage

Lineage New Member

i cannot see the video >.< damn.....

19. I_Slider_I

I_Slider_I New Member

Seems like we're posting weird and useless facts about water... So did you know that pure water won't boil in the microwave, and will become super heated, so that when you take it out it will be well above 100 celcius. Then if you add an impurity say a teaspoon of sugar it will instantly and violently explode into boiling.

--The more you know.... and didn't care.

20. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

Sounds very much like capillary action

Tags: Add Tags