1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice The Newbie's Guide to Computer Building - Version 1.1 - Updated 30 Mar 2010 - Pics!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JaredC01, 12 Feb 2010.

1. User-sam

User-sam When in doubt, follow your nose.

Amazing guide very usefull even for people more experinced, found the images very clear and usefull great work keep it up!

2. aidacuk

aidacuk What's a Dremel?

Good read.

3. aka_jesse

aka_jesse What's a Dremel?

this is a great guide, thank you, the pictures really make the difference. im always scared of breaking the cards as i push them into each other.

4. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Alright guys and girls, I'm starting work on version 2 of the guide, what do YOU want to see included in the next release (even if it's already been posted)?

Won't promise that I can include EVERYTHING that's posted, but I'll include what I find relevant to the topic to the best of my ability.

5. password

password What's a Dremel?

nice guide :D :thumb: and i think u should put pictures in your next guide aswell because it made it easier and more enjoyable to read/ look at :D

6. NeilJM

NeilJM What's a Dremel?

Suggestion for next version, a step that I always take after unboxing the case. Have a glance over it and careful prod around for any sharp edges, and trim them down. Most will be fine but the odd cheapy can still be nasty, and I've fallen foul of this before when wrist-deep in a PC trying to plug in an awkward fan connector, bleeding onto the mobo...

7. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

No other suggestions? :\

8. murraynt

murraynt Modder

There is lots of pictures but not much explanation.

9. Haawkz

Haawkz What's a Dremel?

Wow incredible post OP, helped me out a lot as im a noobie when it comes to this.

10. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Glad it helped!

If you've got any suggestions for an updated version, let me know! No one else seems to have any input... :\

11. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

I'm just about to start my first build and just a quick question.

You mention about Anti Static wrist strap (or grounding yourself) but is there any need for an anti-static mat?

I think I'm tring to convince myself that it's a bit OTT but at the same time don't want to short a brand new CPU/GPU before I've even got it working :waah:

Thanks for the great guide :thumb:

12. amppatel

amppatel What's a Dremel?

Thanks for this, it really helps!

13. DarkKnight

DarkKnight What's a Dremel?

Great post really helped me out as in thinking of building my own! :clap:

14. Crossing

Crossing What's a Dremel?

Thanks for making this amazing guide, I can recommend it to people who annoy me about how to build their own computer.

15. mad professor

mad professor What's a Dremel?

I have to admit, the mother board manuals are good, the a lot has to be desired for, for the case manual and power supply manual. I have a Fractal Define R3 case, with cables coming out of them. Some cables have names against them which I can figure out. Others, I have no idea and just guess work, or tallying with the mobo manual. If there is a connector which has not been connected, you get worried as to where it goes.

16. koloson

koloson What's a Dremel?

Thank you very much!

17. ziggy12

ziggy12 What's a Dremel?

this post is absolutely amazing what a great guide for anyone building a computer even experienced people can learn from it thank you

18. blacksta

blacksta What's a Dremel?

Excellent guide really helped alot

19. blacksta

blacksta What's a Dremel?

Thank you again again again

20. oscy

oscy Modder

I'm following this (still waiting on a couple more parts), and I think a bit can be added to the processor section:

1) Mention the arrow on both the processor and the socket, and that they should be in the same corner.

2) Mention the **** TONNE of force required to push some processors in some motherboards, and that the velcro/scraping/crushing type noise is completely normal. Note that even when it looks like the lever is bending a bit as you push down and could snap at any moment, as long as you know the processor is for that type of socket, that it's in perfectly, and that you're pushing down gradually, don't worry, just keep going. This really needs being driven home because some tutorials say there shouldn't be any pressure, and even in videos when they say there'll be some pressure it doesn't truly underline how much, and I think everyone's first time encountering this was bloody scary.