1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the next stage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pie_uk, 27 Mar 2007.

1. Pie_uk

Pie_uk British beef, in Britain

ok so i have my expensive shiny C2D system and its all water cooled etc etc, but whats going to happen next? ddr3?

will this mean my cell shock will be worth peanuts soon? I am tempted to sell my mem and buy something cheap, the reason behind this is because my asus motherboard has the cold boot bug and so i generally leave the system at stock, therefore do i really need such good memory?

the only use i have for the pc is gaming music and internet. so some ocz 2x1gb for £112 will be good enough for me right?

and what about my graphics card, the x1950xtx yes its top of ATI's range but its already worth £240 should i be selling up and investing in DX10? since i am a gamer...

please help and share ideas and thoughts

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Well if you're not OC'ing, I personally don't see the point in keeping fancy RAM, it's near enough identical at stock, alright some of the cheaper stuff might knock the performance down by a tiny fraction, but not a lot.

DDR3 is the next big thing, but it'll be a good while yet before it's around. As for the X1950, I'd flog it and go for an 8800, possibly wait until R600, but either way, DX10 is a good move imho. :)

3. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

From the CeBit reports by bit-tech apparently DDR3 isn't making sucha big splash as expected and maybe more of a feature next year

4. section8

section8 What's a Dremel?

yeah i second that... DDR2 is properly taking off now

5. Pie_uk

ah ok, but on the flip side of that, there isnt any point keeping fancy ram? since i dont overclock. and if i did this stuff i am looking at is good for 900mhz at 4-4-4-12

6. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

well, how much could you sell it for and how much does value ram cost? probs won't be alot of difference

7. Pie_uk

£112 value ram, can get £200 for me mem

i am also very tempted to sell my 20 " dell and go for a 24" panel. i mean i might as well since i get that 1900 res :D

Last edited: 27 Mar 2007
  8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Yup, no reason why not imho. If you don't overclock, there's almost 0 point in having fancy, tight-timings RAM, unless you're a real stickler about maximum performance at stock.

9. Pie_uk

yeah i would like basic ram thats got good tight timings at stock. but its not a must