1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official Bit-Tech F1 2009 Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 18 Nov 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Medals coming to F1

Pinched from Planet-f1:

Gotta say I love this idea, racing should all be about winning, some people are crying foul already, saying Bernie has lost his marbles. I disagree, I think he's completely on the ball with this one, what do you think?

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

So the race is mostly won or lost in Quali?

I dunno, I'd like to see what happens.

3. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

interesting idea , but its batshit insane , remove the point system remove the motivation for all the teams who cant get into the top three on any real basis to even bother competing because whats the point in fighting for the last point when even if you managed to score that now youd be far off getting anything

yeah on one hand you would have more incentive to fight and win which would = more mishaps on track and more stupid stewards decisions and we have all seen the ability of the powers that be in F1's decision making prowess, an ameoba could do a better job

so you would end up with more boring races because more accidents = more safety cars and it just ends up with processional races behind a safety car

then again it wouldnt be much different than now would it , F1 has lost it IMO out with burnie and max and in with the new...

but thats just my opinion and others will disagree

4. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

What strikes me as being a sensible scheme would be to have the Constructor's Championship decided on the old points system, but to have the Driver's Championship decided by medals.

That way the drivers have to push hard to win their championship, but the teams further down the pecking order still have an incentive to race.

If memory serves, all the money paid out to the teams is on the basis of the Constructor's Champrionship, the Driver's Championship is purely about kudos.

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Love the idea.
    Slicks AND that is sure to make next season exciting... let's just hope no nasty accidents happen. I can see the dilemma in the last races:
    intermittent rain, people staying out on slicks, faster cars and REAL fighting for position. Think last race, but more dangerous...
    but it's sure going to get REALLY exciting.
    Plus i just got to email this to my friends saying "i went onto the internet and fount THIS"... hehehe

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

so what happens if a driver is a minute behind 3rd in 4th with 10 laps to go and no chance of catching up...? Does the driver just retire and 'save' his engine for the next race? That'd be a bit ****.

7. Mother-Goose

Points system will remain for the manufacturers championship I believe.

If they all end up behind the safety car they'll be alot closer together again so a chance of some over taking.

to be honest I can't see how you came to your conclusion there at all.

I think this is why the standardised engines idea was put forward tbh

They do expect all the cars next year to be alot closer. Renault and Force India have been permitted to develop their engines up to the power levels of the other teams as they had an unfair disadvantage (according to things I've read).;

8. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

EXACTLY!

even so its a pretty crap, lose real motivation for the driver they will slack off and outside the top 3 fighting for it the rest will be happy to cruise along if they have no chance of getting their medal

just change the points system as it is its a crap system , make it more like MotoGP 25 for the win 20 for 2nd 15 for 3rd etc

and even if they are closer together mate they push hard on slicks without traction control there will be more accidents and they just slow down the pace again, safety car periods are what make me flick the channel

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Oh ass. :blush: Fixed it! :p

Hehe! That was a good giggle. :D

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

@Mother-goose: standardised engines would also be a bit **** too though.. :(

I wish the championship was still like it was in the days when it was 10 for a win, 6 for 2nd and only the top 6 got points. Surely this medal malarkey is just an admission that they broke a scoring system that was fine anyway? Sigh.

11. RTT

RTT #parp

I like change, this system could be good. Will be interesting to see how it goes :)

12. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

The system will remove the tactical and dull element of the racing, however I think penalties for retiring should be put in place to stop people from just giving up and going into the pits as that could be a very real issue.

13. Mother-Goose

Oh I agree with the standardised engine's being crap, utterly pointless I think, terrible idea.

I'm also with you that the old point system made it better, it effectively did what the medals idea might do, you needed to win because the points gained were so much more.

I've always thought it should be the top 5 that score points. We'll have to see how it pans out, but tbh any change to the current system to make the drivers actually race is a step in the right direction in my mind.

14. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

F1 is all about the technology, as soon as nuclear powered cars are green lighted, i can see major compitition! and less crashes, because if one person crashed, everybodys dead :O

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

True, I just wish they'd stuck where they were all those years ago, rather than pandering to the teams because overtaking was so hard (because of the 'safety features' that the FIA had introduced - i.e. grooved tyres, more downforce, etc). Now that overtaking is hopefully going to be easier because the FIA has taken a step back into the past, I think the old points system would be more than adequate.

Hopefully the sport can actually move forwards now, rather than stagnate like it has done for the last ten years or so. :)

16. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I dont quite understand the points system and it not because im stupid, Will the driver championship be decided by the driver with the most wins or are all the medals won by a driver taken into consideration?

for instance who wins if : driver A has 3 gold, 3 silver and 7 bronze, and driver B has 1 gold, 9 silver and 3 bronze?

does driver A win because of the 3 golds or does driver B win because of a more all round performance?

17. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Driver A would win because of more golds, they count the Golds first then if it's tied count the Silver, and then the Bronze.

18. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Personally I like the idea of increased reward for winning, however Tim does make a good point regarding those finishing out with the top 3, they may as well stop and save the engine.

I think they should retain a points system with an increased incentive for winning.
    Under the current system, finishing forth in two races is the equivalent to winning in one, now that's just wrong.

More points for the winner with a bigger gap in points to second place. Make winning paramount.

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

yeah, like what it was:

10 for the win
    6 for second
    4 for third
    3 for fourth
    2 for fifth
    1 for sixth
    everyone else gets a free FAIL helmet sticker.

20. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

They should just re-increase the points gap between 1st and 2nd to 4 points rather than 2, like it was until 2003 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_World_Championship_pointscoring_systems).
    Maybe increase the points for winning to 12 and still keep the points down to 8th, as it makes for more competitive racing further down the field.
    That way the rewards for winning a race would be greater, but it would still reward performance lower down the grid.
    It would seem to make more sense that this gold-silver-bronze BS. I hope Bernie is just trying to provoke debate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.