1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2010 Thread - Post season washup

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 22 Dec 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

So throwing the steering wheel was a matter of safety, nevermind the safety issues of being hit by a ****ing steering wheel!!.

imo its more like he was annoyed at the fact that his car failed and put him in a dangerous position. He could have done any number of things instead of chucking it across the track, put it on the nose or even drop it to the side of the car for instance.

Im not so sure he'll get away with it though, if it does get reviewed im sure it'll be frowned upon and give him probably a fairly hefty fine, imo what he did was more dangerous than the speeding in the pit fines handed to schu and button recently.

2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Precisely.
    I personally think that the FIA will get around to reviewing Rubens still. Right now they were caught up in El Schu's 40.13 move and trying to establish a tyre supplier for next year (apparently only Pirelli or Michelin are left now) before Turkey.
    And I reckon there's gonna be a pretty hefty penalty. Speeding in the pit gets fined hard already, and as you said, 13eightyfour, that's less dangerous than throwing a steering wheel into oncoming traffic.

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

And now PF1 Reports that the Stewards were "Too Busy" With the Schumacher 40.13 to actually look into Rubens. W.T.H.

4. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

epic fail >.> What do they do at race meetings? Most people would have these things sorted in 5mins.

Schu: broke some obscure rule about no overtaking on final lap after safty car goes in. clear rule break so either put him behind Alonso or be harsh and give a drive through

rubens: Threw wheel onto track, clearly dangerous, 5place grid drop.

There that only took 30mins to read through look up picts and video and dream up some punishment from their usual list of 5.

5. 13eightyfour

Personally i think its more likely to be a fine which imo is stupid, if the reports of him earning $14m a year are true, and assuming his official residence is in some tax haven (more than likely) a fine means nothing unless its in 6 figures.

I cant actually think of a single punishment that could be handed out, a grid drop isnt sufficient, baning him from the title wont matter, and a fine means nothing.

Whilst i do actually like rubens (although he can be a little whiney at times) chucking your wheel across the track is surely a fundamental no-no!

6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Exactly.
    what a f*kup.
    I really do hope that something still happens there. If not by the race stewards, then maybe by the overriding guns at the FIA.

As for the punishment - I'd drop him for a race. Or slap him with a 6-figure penalty. It's harsh, but Negligence needs to be punished hard.
    After Renault's incident last year with the tyre, which should clearly serve as a warning, and then the race-fixing and endagering drivers on purpose scandal involving the Ex-Renault bosses, I'd think that these kind of things are more than merely "asked about" in a "what was he thinking" way.

7. javaman

Renualt's incident with the tire just happened at a very ironic and bad time. A fine would be suitable, a grid drop too maybe and excluding from the race would be harsh but would prove a point.

Bet the problem was Hill responding to his hate mail, apart from that no one else had an excuse.

8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I had to chuckle at the thought of a raging DH there. :)

I know that the tyre came at a bad time for Renault. But they got slapped with a fine.
    Pat Symmonds and Flavio got banned FOR LIFE, which was then later overturned by a court.

Sure, Pat and Flav were doing it on purpose, knowingly, etc. The point made (in both cases) was that the FIA will not tolerate bad safety and unsportsmanlike (is that even a word?) behaviour. Rubens was both, and the example was set.
    Dirvers get fined for speeding in the 'lane all the time, in spite of the system used to measure it being flawed (as argued and won by Seb Vettel late last year).
    So yeah - I reckon proving the point would be a good call. Especially since it's not hurting someone who has a chance on a world championship anyway (i.e. it's not gonna break that driver's chances - Not in the williams).

But yeah. No point whining about this, I suppose. Reckon we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Back to more fun things, I am reckonging that McLaren is gonna show a good bit more pace in Turkey. I reckon Lewis's luck will turn, and he'll finish on the podium. Mind, I base this on absolutely nothing except for a bit of good hope and a suspicion that I have that Macca treated Monaco as a "whatever" (much like several teams - get some points, don't work too hard, it's an image race), and Spain as the first batch of upgrades. They had 3 weeks now for more.

9. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

10. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Eurgh no doubt Tilke is already furiously scribbling away. There are plenty of good tracks already in the US, surely one of those would have been a more interesting option.

11. Redsnake77

Redsnake77 Useless Idiot

Laguna Seca, Sebring, Infineon all great proper race tracks, rather than donuts for fat yanks.

12. javaman

could a car get down the corkscrew lol

13. Redsnake77

Redsnake77 Useless Idiot

They do have car races there. Jeremy Clarkson took a Honda NSX Type R round on Top Gear. Would be amazing to see an F1 car pinned through there. They'd have to get the camera angle correct (they seem to be more interested in getting the advertising in unfortunately) to show the change in direction and the drop in elevation. There are easily two or three great corners there to really challenge an F1 car. Sebring surfacewise is like a street circuit, really bumpy, with a mix of concrete and tarmac, and Infineon has three possible layouts.

Looks like some reports that are starting to come in suggest that Texas may just be a load of hot air, as the funding hasn't been sorted at all.

14. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I have my doubts about Laguna, to be honest. Not about how epic the track is, I know that. Just not sure about the cars getting through the corkscrew undamaged. The track is wonky on the exit, and the angle is steep.

15. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Correct.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83891

Yeah, because he's done so well doing that on all the other tracks he's built using his scalatrix bits box. :rolleyes:

About the only decent corner he's designed is Turn 8 at Turkey.

16. 13eightyfour

Agreed, I love the onboard video around turn 8, I think its because from a normal view it looks soo simple, but when you watch a car trying to get round it through the onboard cam its shows just how tricky it is.

17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Lewis says he's feeling good about Turkey.
    Webbo says Ferrari and McLaren are SERIOUS threats for them in Turkey.
    Ferrari says they're looking at keeping Felipe Massa on board for 2011
    Pirelli looks like they might have a tyre deal for next year, and everyone seems happy that the safety car rules are bing clarified.

18. alastor

alastor Minimodder

To be fair it does somewhat depend on the space that's available: lots of space and gradients and you get an Istanbul Park; hardly any space you get a Valencia :rolleyes:. Although he did make a bit of a hash of Yas Marina and that had virtually unlimited space and budget.

UK TV times ahoy!

Friday 28th May 2010
    Turkish Grand Prix Free practice 1 – 07:55-09:35 (BBC Red Button and online)
    Turkish Grand Prix Free practice 2 – 11:55-13:35 (BBC Red Button and online)

Saturday 29th May 2010
    Turkish Grand Prix Free practice 3 – 08:55-10:05 (BBC Red Button and online)
    Turkish Grand Prix Qualifying – 10:55-13:25 (BBC1, Red Button and online – not Freeview) (Qualifying starts at 12:00)

Sunday 30th May 2010
    Turkish Grand Prix – 12:10-15:20 (BBC1, Red Button and online) (Race starts at 13:00)

19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Yes - nice and early for the Friday Practice. Looking forwad to see what happens.
    Rumor has it that there's an F-Duct being tested in P1 by RBR, and possibly by FI.

20. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

P1 looking good for anything silver.
    Rosberg seems to be getting to grips with the longer wheelbase that El Schu prefers.
    RBR testing the F-duct on Vettel's car - I think .2 seconds difference between Seb and Mark is not enough to provide any convincing arguments, so I expect them to run it again next session.

Observation: Lotus is leading the new teams by a long shot.

Other than that, Practise is inconclusive as always. Lewis delivering absolutely stunning pace means nothing except that his setup seems pretty suited for him. Red Bull in the midfield is perfectly normal at P1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.