1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2010 Thread - Post season washup

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 22 Dec 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Ferrari dealers in flames? Now that'd be very wrong.

I think, in all honesty, I want Alonso to win. Webber would be my 2nd choice, but anything that makes Christian "Pinocchio" Horner happy makes me sad. RBR deserved the constructors after all their hard work, just for building the fastest car 2 seasons in a row, but the thought of the epic smugness of Pinocchio after they seal the double title makes my brain hurt.

2. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

They'd only be in flames as the current prancing road car seems to have a track record of sponteneously combusting. :D

3. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Well-Known Member

I agree, although if vettel feels like taking out himself, webber and alonso in one glorious move then I'd be happy to see hamilton win :p

4. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I just don't want Vettel to win the championship, that's my position. He's not a good driver - he makes bad judgements and bad mistakes. I guess Webber does the same, so Alonso for the championship.

RBR have had by far the best car this season, that much is obvious, but both drivers have crashed more times than they should and that coming together in Hungary really summed up their talents.

Actually, probably the best possible result for me would be for Alonso to suffer an engine failure early doors, Vettel and Webber having a Prost/Senna-esque crash trying to decide who wins the championship and neither being able to continue, then Massa winning the race, with the Hamilton and Button behind. Net result, Alonso takes the title.

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

In championship-unrelated news, Autosport and various other sources report that Lotus Racing is returning to a Black and Gold livery next year, and apparently will let a fan design it...
    Can't wait. Though I did like the Green andYellow (especially with Heikki's helmet), the black and gold is epic.

6. GreatOldOne

Black and Gold good - now if they can find away to do a JPS style logo... :D

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

:D that'd be more than epic.
    I hope they have some form of Fan contest. I've got some friends that are KILLER in photoshop and in design. I am sure wwe could hack up something that looks the biz... :p

8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

[​IMG]
    /hotlink

this is an important weekend in more than one way, and that picture just reminded me of that fact. Next year it's tyre battles all over again.

9. Krikkit

I'd prefer Green and Yellow on the Lotus' tbh. The JPS were an epic era but one that should be left alone.

I'll be sad to see Bridgestone leave the sport, although it'd be nice to have tyres that wear out rather than the epic long-lasting things that Bridgestone have over-developed.

10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I just hope that the Lotus name stays.
    I'd like to see black and gold cars, but only if they carry the lotus name. With proton wanting to sponsor Renault next year, there could be issues there.

As for the tyre change: Agree 100% there, Krikkit

11. Chr!s

Chr!s New Member

Battles? I thought Pirelli was only supplier?

12. GreatOldOne

Correct. No Battle - everyone will be using Pirelli's

13. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I say for next season the engine and gearbox has the last all season, no if's no buts. Replacing either results in going to the back of the grid. Really make them pay for mechanical failures. Might get to see some overtaking then. either that or clone kobayashi a few times.

Maybe also have 4 different compounds that all must be used? Is refueling making a return yet?

14. Krikkit

Why would that increase overtaking? Everyone at the front will run a gearbox and engine at absolute safe levels to make sure they stay there, or at least only have to change once or something.

What we need is tyres that degrade. The current ones last far too long, soft and hard. Vettel doing 52 of 53 laps on a single set is a classic case in point. Make sure they wear out and you'll see people dealing with proper tyre degradation and more likely an overtaking scenario.

The simple truth is that when you go out and find the top 24 single-seater drivers in the world and put them together you won't always see overtaking. They're all tyre management experts, all qualifying experts and all bloody good at what they do. Some are better than others but not significantly. The car they drive is the biggest factor.

Last edited: 11 Nov 2010
  15. Pieface

Pieface Well-Known Member

+1

Tyres are stupid now. Don't bring in rules where they have to use both tyres. Have it so Hard compunds could last 2 pit stops but aren't as good, and supersoft last 3 stops. Will be much more technical then.

16. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

Have a limited aero package.

Simple.

wind tunnel the cars, if a car gereates excesive downforce it can't race.

Less downforce will mean less dirty air, slower corners and more overtaking.

Sure they could still play fast and loose, and find loop holes, but a race by race ban by the spirit of the reg.

Formula one is boring.
    10 or 20 good overtakes in a race.
    One good move every five mins is not interesting.
    Even this year interesting races are boring, there is more overtaking done due to rain than driver ability.
    It's a tedious farce that will disapear up it's own ar53
    I'll not bother with next season.

17. Throbbi

Throbbi New Member

Lets assume that the current 4 grades of tyre are, on a scale of 1 to 10, 4,5,6 and 7. Dead centre with grip going 10 to 1 and lifespan going 1 to 10.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - Life
    .............. SS..S...M...H.................
    10-9 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - Grip

What i think would even things out nicely would be to have a simple 3 grades of tyre at 1,5.5 and 10 on those scales for soft,medium and hard.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - Life
    S.....................M.......................H
    10-9 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - Grip

The difference between them would be (well the idea is) much much bigger than they are currently.

Yes the hard compound could conceivably last a full race distance but they would easily be over a second a lap slower in terms of grip. Where as the softs could be hugely faster and offer insane amounts of grip but will struggle to go 25 laps (in a 70 lap race for example) without wearing through to the weaving under the rubber, forcing well timed and well executed pit stops. It puts more emphasis on the team and the strategy aswell as needing the skills of the driver to get the most out of his tyres in both performance and life.

Even keep things a little similar to how they are now by making it so that the life of all is just a little lower so that no single tyre is capable of completing a full race distance and make the ruling that all drivers must use 'any 2 of the 3 compounds'. Keeps at least one mandatory pit stop and allows for teams to really play with tactics.

Massively simplified compared to how things actually work of course but it would keep the interest there, well in my opinion at least.

18. Pieface

Pieface Well-Known Member

This season has been better than the last few. Although I don't believe that taking away refueling caused it. I think what made it interesting in a weird way is the 3 brand new teams. Having two major battles made there more to be watched. I look forward to Lotus next year though with a Renault engine, and Red Bull aero package. And kurz coming back should be extremely interesting.

19. alastor

alastor Well-Known Member

For the last time this year :(

Friday 12th November 2010
    Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Free practice 1 – 8:55 – 10:35 (BBC Red Button and online)
    Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Free practice 2 – 12:55 – 14:35 (BBC Red Button and online)

Saturday 13th November 2010
    Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Free practice 3 – 9:55 – 11:05 (BBC Red Button and online)
    Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Qualifying – 12:15 – 14:20 (BBC1 & BBC1 HD, Red Button and online) (Qualifying starts at 1pm)

Sunday 14th November 2010
    Abu Dhabi Grand Prix – 12:10 – 15:15 (BBC1 & BBC1 HD, Red Button and online) (Race starts at 1pm)

20. Throbbi

Throbbi New Member

Now you see i've had a theory about KERS. At the end of last season i'm sure (might have imagined it, maybe not lol) that it was decided that this year it wasn't to be outlawed but that all the teams simply were'nt going to use it and a sort of 'gentlemans agreement'. Like i said i could be wrong but i could've sworn i heard that.

What made me think of this more was that the exhaust outlets on the McLaren were of different sizes (well the bodywork where they exit, if you see the car from the rear they're clearly asymmetrical) and that last year they had said that this was a concious decision to offset the weight of the KERS batteries. Perhaps i'm jumping to massive conclusions but did anyone else notice this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.