1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2011 Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by yodasarmpit, 30 Nov 2010.

1. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Isn't their forward-mounted exhaust blowing the floor, which in turn would blow the diffuser to an extent...

I should edit this and finish the thought:

Even if Renault is not blowing their diffuser, the off-throttle blowing effects them. They run the same engine as RBR, and the systemt that RBR runs was built by Renault. That means that, even by blowing the floor, they're increasing downforce using exhaust gasses, even when they're off throttle.

Last edited: 22 Jun 2011
  2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

This.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

They're blowing the whole floor with it, so they'll be losing as much if not a little more downforce as anyone. The difference is the balance of the car - Red Bull have a blown diffuser, which is rear-only downforce, but a blown floor will loose front and rear grip, and so will be less pointy.

Remember how tricky it was for McLaren to implement their blown diffuser last year? They were struggling with balance for a couple of races while they understood it, now they'll have the opposite situation because they've got a car set up for a blown diffuser and the balance that it brings, so they'll have a wobbly rear to start with.
    +1. Spa will never be alternated on the calendar, it's just too good a race to be moved.

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Spa is GREAT.

Good points there, Krikkit.
    Balance might play in Renault's favour there, come Silverstone.

5. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I think i'd have to hunt down and hurt people if they ever decided to mess with Spa.

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

seems like there's been a bit of u-turning/compromise over the new engine regs... from what i gather:

Delayed by a year [to 2014]
    Six-cylinder turbos rather than four

EDIT:

link

7. Krikkit

What about engine RPM limits? That's the bit that gets me, if my car could get there with a few £ of headwork and solid lifters then it takes away the spectacle.

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

from the [now updated] article:

• 1.6-litre, six-cylinder turbos with energy recovery and fuel restrictions to replace current 2.4-litre normally aspirated V8s
    • Fuel efficiency to increase by 35%
    • Maximum revs of 12,000rpm
    • Power of energy-recovery systems [KERS] to double
    • Overall power to remain at approx 750bhp
    • Checks and balances to ensure costs are contained and performance across all engines remains comparable
    • Plan for advanced 'compound' turbos to be introduced in subsequent years

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

That link is HORRIBLY inconsistent in the news it spews... four cylinders here, then six. then four again, then 2011 is NEXT YEAR...

10. Krikkit

That's because someone's trying to hack the article out as quickly as possible as a scoop. 12kRPM is simply not enough... If the problem is being able to produce too much power at nice high RPM's then surely a smaller capacity/boost regulations are needed?

11. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Agree that 12K is a bit low. Some bikes reach that without too much of a hassle.
    something as technology-pushing as F1 should run higher.
    I say 1.4L Turbo 4-pots with a rev limit of 20K - that should be fun...2 bar boost or something. :D

12. Joey-Propane

Joey-Propane What's a Dremel?

Loving this season so far. Yes Vettel winning so much and getting pole so often is getting a bit boring now, but what's going on behind him is fantastic viewing.

I watched the whole Canada session from start to finish and was massively impressed with how DC and MB kept up the coverage, with any awkward "well, what do we talk about now?" moments being filled with some pretty good banter.

Looking forward to this weekend, though why people are still saying, because it's Valencia, it's going to be a precession is well beyond me. With how the racing has been so far this season and the new parc ferme engine mapping rules there's absolutely no way this is going to be a boring race.

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Similar sentiments here. I'm not a huge racing fan, a lot of the excitement comes from seeing excellent works of engineering in action. There's a certain appeal to making a smaller engine and trying to squeeze the very most power from it, but that's for other racing categories. F1 is about purpose-build racing machines, there's a certain mysticism about them in that they are entirely not typical street cars!

14. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

15. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Is he in Di Resta's or Sutil's?

Watch it Here UK folk!

Shame Chanhok is out but at least he didn't spin it like a muppet on the first corner!

16. Joey Propane

Joey Propane What's a Dremel?

I hope Vettel was on high(ish) fuel as well as Silverstone spec with the regards to engine mapping, else Red Bull should be worried...

17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Not sure which one he was in, and not havign seen the damage, it's hard to tell how bad it was... They mentioned "Visible side damage, suspension damage, and then some", though

18. Krikkit

He was in PdR's Force India.

19. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Urgh, hope it wasn't too badly screwed. Come on PdR!

20. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Alonso's quickest in Practice 3 but I don't suppose that will stop the Bulls from getting pole.