1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2011 Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by yodasarmpit, 30 Nov 2010.

1. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

**** you Horner. **** you in your stupid ass.

Also how the hell can Hamilton be so pleasant to his team over the radio 'great job blah blah' i'd be livid! How hard can it be to put enough ****ing fuel in the damn car?!

Rule change - Fuel consumption at max revs/power must be declared to FIA and enough fuel for race distance + 4 laps to cover possibilities of a restart. Everyone exactly the same, problem solved, no ******** fuel saving periods.

2. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

So Vettel had a KERS problem and a call comes through to Webber to 'maintain the gap'. How fortunate that was for Vettel.

3. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

How on earth did the commentators not spot that the mechanic didn't stick his arm out? Mistake by the lollipop man not by man on wheel...

EDIT: Spotted/been told it now at least

Last edited: 10 Jul 2011
  4. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Indeed. I'm enjoying having DC and Brundle commentating but they seem to miss the odd bits and pieces. A few races ago one team did a stop of 2.3s but it didn't even get a mention.

5. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

An F1 race isn't just against the driver in the front there are 23 other cars on the track as well.
    This year has been one of the best in recent times so far, with the exception of Valencia.
    Interesting that you seem to watch a race just to see who wins, rather than watch the rest of the field as well where pretty much most of the racing always happens anyway.

Anyway it's not his fault he's probably the best driver at the moment in probably the best car is it. The other teams need to catch up, fairly...not by getting the rules changed mid season :grr:

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

This. Only a novice would say this season is boring. The title fight is one-sided so far, but the racing has been top notch.

7. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yeh I'm a novice because I have a differing opinion, been an avid fan for 20+ years, yeh theres interesting stuff going on behind but when it's a one horse race at the front I find that aspect boring, that's just me.

I watched the whole race today and did find it good but I would like to see more of a challenge for Vettel if it wasn't for a cocked up pit stop he would most likely have won again, and I didn't say I watch just to see who wins, don't put words in my mouth.

I'm not a great fan of Alonso but I'm glad he bagged a win today.

8. Pieface

Pieface Modder

The races are good, but the season is boring. The season being the results over the races. Last season with 5 battling it was interesting to watch.

9. Krikkit

Heh, maybe we have differing ideas of what a season is then - to me it's every race front to back, not just the championship battle.

I'll definitely agree the battle for the WDC is boring - pole, fastest lap, race win without even being troubled does get boring. Just look at the first half of JB's season, 7 wins in the first few races and it was really dull.

10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

After a Qualifying from hell, I was torn in two whether I should actually bother with the race. The weird quali positions convinced me though: The worst starter in the season (according to James Allen's stats) on Pole, and Di Resta in the top ten...
    Glad I did, as well, as it turned out to be a solid race.

Alonso drove REALLY well in that last bit, and the gap he opened up was akin to RBR early on in the race. His race was flawless, pretty much.

Vettel showed (call me hating if you will) that he can win races, as long as he doesn't have to race for them. He didn't make a single overtake in the race IIRC (besides mark webber into turn 1... as I sed - Webbo's statistically the guy who can't get off the line). Blue Flags and pit jumps, that's all he did.
    Webber Did d acracking job, and, given the circumstances, I wanna kiss him for sticking it to Horner and ignoring the team orders. I get that team>driver, but Webber was faster there... let him try to pass. "not bad for a #2 driver" springs to mind suddenly...

Lotus - what can I say... it's a crying shame, and really bad for my Fantasy F1 scores...

McLaren - *sigh*. The have what I'd say is the strongest combination of drivers of allt he teams. The car has the pace more often than not lately, and then they get shafted: Strategists, Lollipop men, people responsible for fuelling, etc. Am I the only one that things there's an issue on the race day team rather than in the rest of the team?
    Such a shame about Jenson's wheel, and his disappointed voice when he pulled over said it all...although he meant the other left there.
    Lewis drove a cracking race. From 10th to 4th with fuel saving. While he had no chance against Webber (possibly not even had he had more fuel), that defense against Massa was fair and square. And for once, we could see him keeping his cool about him and just racing solidly to the line. Well done.

Other comments would obviously include the on-again-off-again-no-50%-power-for-the-renaults-then-not-then-rules-change politics.
    To summarize that: From the next GP onwards, Valencia rules apply. Normal off-throttle blowing happens, but the ban on mapping changes between quali and race stays.
    Also: Vettel's angry face in the press conference made me laugh. If you missed it: Watch it again, noting Vettel's reaction when Webber talks about the fight with Vettel. That look says "Don't you DARE say anything about the team orders".

11. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I really hope the aero changes at Ferrari have nothing to do with the off-throttle regs, so we have solid competition for the top spot at every race going forward. Alonso and the McLaren boys have little to lose at this stage. Hope to see some cracking drives over the next couple of races.

12. Everydayoddity

Everydayoddity What's a Dremel?

I don't think Ferrari will go backwards after this weekend, even with the 'old' aero regs coming back in. Apparently their silence over the whole 'off throttle blowing' debate was due to the fact they had an entirely new design on the car, pretty much. the only thing going back to Valencia rules should do is bring the Maccas back into the hunt, so we should get some more good stuff up top in the next few races...

13. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Ok, as promised..... picture time!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Krikkit

So you were on the Wellington Bronze area, is that right? Some pretty decent pics, what gear did you use? It's so much easier to get the Porsche Supercup/GP2 over F1 cars.

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

That pic of Heidfeld locking up is great!
    As is the one of Button and Massa scrapping.

16. B1GBUD

I was down at Vale in the General Admission cheap seats (bring yer own), sadly no grandstand seat this year.

The camera is a Sony Alpha 200 w/75-300mm lense, some of the pictures are in manual focus because the camera kept wanting to focus in on the fence when set to auto... grrr

I like the Heidfeld shot too, was pretty chuffed when I flicked back through my shots and saw it.

stonedsurd likes this.
  17. Krikkit

Doh! Why did I end up squinting at helmets instead of just reading the Mac's number...

Vale is a good spot, did you walk around the whole track sampling bronze for the rest of the weekend? I'd have to start from scratch now, I was there in '09 and our bronze spot now sits under the start/finish grandstand. :(

18. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Gah, I'm so jealous. Thanks for sharing those shots and have some rep :)

19. B1GBUD

Thanks Stonedsurd! I had a 3 day ticket (was given to me by a friend whose hubby works for a certain team that are based in a place that sounds like poking :worried:) but I only could get up there late on Saturday evening, I tried to get into the track, but only the main gate was open and by the time I'd get there they would have closed it. Which was a bit of a shame as I normally go for 3 days, staking out my spot on Fri/Sat and making use of the roving seats. So come Sunday, I got to the track just after 6am and bagged the closest spot to the track that I could. I wish in a way that I'd walked round to Maggots/Becketts as that is a truly awesome spot to watch from.

20. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Force of habbit.
    I did the same, before I noticed that McLaren have numbers on their uprigths (unlike the red cars...)

Edit:
    What makes the Heidfeld shot really cool is that the locked wheel is actually "standing still" in the photo. On all the other shots, they ahve blur on them (from how fast they turn). It's one of those things you don't see on TV that clearly.