1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2012 Thread - Post season

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 7 Dec 2011.

1. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Scarbs did an article of what to expect this year, and the cars are by no means pretty. That being said, that Autosprint drawing of the Ferrari looks fairly "normal" if you will.

2. alastor

alastor Minimodder

More official shots of the CT-01, from angles that don't make it look too horrendous. I'm quite liking the look of the RBR-esque sculpted, tapered sidepods; the coke bottle is very clean and tidy, but apart from that it's definitely not a looker. They seem to have gone for a fairly conservative exhaust at least for now.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Also, snap snap:

[​IMG]

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

About the merc, it seems that they've elongated the wheelbase. Which seems reasonable given that their SWB for 2011 wasn't that great.

On the other hand, Lotus (Renault..erm...Genii) is still a spotty team. Even with Kimi, the amount of financing, the erratic choices, the management. I don't see it doing well. Given that the last time it did well was with good ol' Briatore, and that was because Alonso had put the post R26 cars in places where it shouldn't have been.

Senna at Williams is a good sign, but poor Rubens, that guy should've retired ages ago.

And I'm still frankly impressed by MSC, his retirement and his return hasn't been too bad. And frankly the merc team has a huge fleet of competent designers. Let's see what they reveal. If I do remember correctly, the Merc last year had severe understeer, which wasn't to either MSC's or Rosberg's liking.

4. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Oooooookay...

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I like it! More down to earth than the usual cash excessive marketing ejaculations by the top teams.

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

After the massive fail of the year for Lotus/Renault, they've decided that they will break the sound barrier now. Albiet in a different manner.

7. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Adrian Sutil has been given an 18-month suspended sentence after being found guilty of causing grievous bodily harm to Renault team executive Eric Lu.

8. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

"Forgot he had a glass in his hand..." :eyebrow:

9. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I read on Autosport this morning that the Mclaren launch tommorow is going to raise a few eyebrows, as it would be sporting parts that would have other teams questioning the legality of them - which McLaren would defend 'rigorously'

However, I go to find it now to post it here, and the article has disappeared... Over-zealous reporting? Anybody else see it, or know anything about what might be questionable about the design?

10. Joey Propane

Joey Propane What's a Dremel?

After convincing Raikkonen to come back they probably don't have any money left...

11. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I saw it too, but unless its got 6 wheels I think someone is trying to stoke some publicity (not that they need it). I'll be tuning in tomorrow here. :thumb:

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea all those ice creams must cost a lot ;)

:D

13. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Both Toro Rosso and Williams have announced the unveiling of their respective 2012 challengers, unsurprisingly both at Jerez next week. The STR7 will appear around 4:30pm GMT on the 6th February, with the FW34 launching the following morning before testing begins.

14. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

What a PITA, Mclarens website isn't working.

Sam

15. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

I got the RSS, but it linked me to 0x0 (nowhere) :(, it's not usual for Autosport to report the rumor mill. I think someone got a proper shoeing for it.

I'm prepared for anything from special ends to the side pods, to sprouting turning vanes. Maybe this year they'll give double E side pods a go, that'd be an eye and hand full :D.

16. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Seems to be ok through facebook, just search vodafone mc and it'll be top result. It's very quiet though

Last edited: 1 Feb 2012
  17. alastor

alastor Minimodder

It's all bloody broken. Ah well, hooray for twitter. No real U-pods this year, although they do look very sloping in the middle, and no stepped nose :clap:

[​IMG]

edit - and another

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Feb 2012
  18. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Well it's certainly a much better looking car than the Caterham. Hopefully it'll have the performance to back up those looks.

19. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

No ironing board! Phew! :)

It looks as if the legality question in the article that disapeared from Autosport yeaterday is around the exhausts - I can't see them in the pics, and they're supposed to exit above the bodywork and have a round cross section...

From Sky News Feed - Lewis: "We've got bigger mirrors than last year, Felipe will be happy about that" :lol::lol::lol:

20. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

The rake on the nose doesn't look all that steep, have they just made the whole front lower or something?