1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2012 Thread - Post season

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 7 Dec 2011.

1. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Possibly flow/pressure/temperature to verify CFD calcualtions.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I would imagine a P&T, they can easily calculate the flow from that, especially with the baseline air temp from the mini-snorkel above the airbox.

3. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

F1 2012 Timing & Track Positioning app, a must have for any Formula One fan. This is a android app and a definite must have for all F1 fans. I use it as I work most weekends so I can see how the race is going and the practice times

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Once again, Testing has shown us nothing, save for a few choice driver comments, which might or might not be PR stunts.
    A Williams, a FIndia and a Sauber being on top (the Sauber on something other than super softs) means that the top teams are substantially quicker than they're showing.

Besides speculations, Scarbs has finally updated the site to analyse the RB8 and the new Ferrari - interesting reads:
    http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/

5. Krikkit

Interesting indeed. It's no wonder Ferrari have been struggling given how completely different the 2012 is to 2011.

Testing has been a bit dull, I keep an eye on it more for gossip than times, which are completely meaningless.

6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Testing is not televised for a reason, I gues..
    Jerez is more interesting because a) the new cars are out and about and b) reliability shows itself.

Barcelona is often wuite boring. No new cars (except for the merc), most of the teams doign aero work, making mos tof the times completely meaningless.
    The possible exception is the long runs some teams do, and comparing those to each other and last year's race times. This year, for example, the average lap time by some teams on ling runs was down from last year's race pace, which is saying something about the cars in general (i.e. the whole "We're slower this year, we have less grip" is a load of poppycock).

We can't evenr ead anything into the difference between harder and softer tyres, simply because we don't know enough. What's known is that some of the midfield teams are running qualifying pace runs at times (107% is an ever-present danger if Red Bull pulls out a rabbit from somewhere again) , and the top teams are trying to out-sandbag each other. We know that ferrari had a hard time getting the car set up properly, and we know that all the drivers seem confident that this year's car is better than last year's.
    What we also know is that Red Bull have changed their wheelnuts, and that has so far cost them in terms of pitstops. Which (if it stays that way - which is doubtful) could be a sliver of hope.

That being said, the next tests should sea all teams runnign closer to Melbourne-spec, and more "real" laptimes.

One thing I noticed while watching amateur footage of the testing on youtube is that the cars do sound quite different, especially whne shifting down. Also - some cars have significantly different notes than others.

7. Krikkit

I thought RB had abandoned their captive wheel nut jobbies until a new design was brought?

It's all speculation until the first tests really - even the fancy audio equipment for analysing engine loads etc can be rendered useless with a fruity engine map during testing, especially since they're free to use as many engines as they like. Not relevant for the midfield teams of course, but the front runners are all sandbagging to an art.

The only impression that I've got so far from the various comments is that 1) as usual the cars are a bit faster, 2) the midfield is expected to be a bit closer.

BentAnat likes this.
  8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Not sure on the wheelnuts factor... My internet was down on Friday, so I missed allt he testing there.

On Thursday, mark Webber did a few "pitstops", and a common theme there was the wheelnuts giving issues and leading to 5+ second pits, which would be about 1.5 seconds off the pace.

The audio testing equipment is SUPER hard to get right anyway... just a slightly longer exhaust and a different map (which they are allowed to do in Testing, AFAIK - the cars don't have to be race-legal) would cause havoc.

I am solidly expecting the midfield to be closer this year, and actually the entire field to close up a bit...

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Marussia (ex-Virgin) is going to test the car (besides a likely 100km "media tour" and a shakedown) at FP1 in Melbourne only... 0_o
    http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/02/marussia-forced-out-of-final-test-after-crash-test-failure/

Also:
    Ferrari and Red Bull are forced to change their testing schedule back, after the FIA clarified some rules for them. They'll be testing the same as all the other teams.
    This likely means that Lotus won't run on Monday either.
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97713

10. Krikkit

Feel a bit sorry for Marussia, they're definitely being overtaken by HRT. What was the last test they couldn't pass?

11. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Not sure what the last test was, to be honest.

Marussia have a long way to go this year, if they want to stay in F1. Being last does nothing but cost money.
    Maybe their car is good - they fired Wirth, after all, so the car would be a ground-up redesign... but that's pure speculation, and the sad and likely truth is that they're very likely to be slow, unreliable and last.

12. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Marussia failed another crash test, AFAIK.

The car's going to be McLaren-esque without a stepped nose.

13. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Found the crash tests here. Fragile is fast, except when it's floppy or... in this case broken!

14. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Now we start to get some proper parts coming out, with Red Bull turning up today with a whole new chassis because it was easier to fly that out than spend the time replacing all the components.

McLaren also ran without a snowplough today for the first time since 2009. Jenson said it felt "much better".

[​IMG]
    (Sutton image)

15. Krikkit

Interesting that they've ditched the snowplough, I'd imagine that's a fairly huge rework of the front airflow design (even though it doesn't look much). Getting a bit closer now! :D

16. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Lewis also seems happy with the car. We'll know the pecking order next Friday in Melbourne, I guess.

I reckon (so far) that Lotus has a car that'll run podiums early on (like last years), and that Kimi has what it takes to develop the car so that it keeps challenging there (unlike last year)...

So long as McLaren wins and Caterham plays solidly in the midfield by the end of the year, I am happy. :p

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Has everyone tweaked their fantasy F1 on the result of recent tests then? I'm still putting money on Red Bull Adrian Newey at the top since I've not seen anything definitively special from other teams (trying to ignore the spin).

18. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Marussia and HRT are set for media days today, and as such, Marussia has unveilled the MR01 - the only other car (besides the McLaren) to not run a flat nose.
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97850

Whether or not it's any good is anyone's guess, of course.

Now who's pegging HRT or Marussia to get caught out by 107%, and who is pegging them to finish the Oz GP?

19. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Looks like a pretty simplistic design really, seem to be running virtually no rake as the front wing is a mile off the track.

Click for big:
    [​IMG]

20. Krikkit

That looks like a shockingly poor front wing design - there must be 10+cm of clearance underneath!

Wouldn't expect anything fancy from them, but it looks a very basic and conservative design. I suppose they want to concentrate on getting reliability first, pick up speed later once the team gels.