1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2012 Thread - Post season

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 7 Dec 2011.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

What a race. This season is going to be an absolute classic, everything's so tight in the field you just need a rain sprinkle to bring a completely mad order to everything.

One thing that we can say is that the writing is on the wall for Massa - his team-mate was consistently faster through the whole race, no matter the tyres or conditions - even with poor luck for Massa it's proof that he's nowhere near fast enough. What better job application for Perez than to nearly steal a victory from under their nose in a slower car.

2. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Yep, unless Massa massively improves his current form I can't see him driving for Ferrari next season. Brilliant drive by Perez, he and the Sauber are so good at maintaining tyres while being fast.

3. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Such a brilliant race! :clap:

The one I can't help thinking though is that Perez's engineer lost him the win with the radio message. He was blindingly fast and totally in the zone then all of a sudden 'blah, blah, blah' in his ear and two corners later he goes wide.

Have to agree on Massa again though, he just isn't good enough, it's that simple.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Throbbi, do you realize that these "radio messages" are not real-time, but usually delayed by a half or even full lap ?

5. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Yes indeed, but it's still seems a bit odd that he's driving perfectly, gets one message and then goes wide. Meh, maybe I just really wanted to hear the Mexican national anthem up there.

6. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I think the radio message had an impact on him as well. They should've just kept quiet and let him race imo.

7. Joey Propane

Joey Propane What's a Dremel?

Fantastic race, right up there with Canada 2011 imo. Absolute shocker in terms of the podium though (what odds must that have been?), really mixes up the drivers championship.

Alonso and Perez drove superbly, if Perez didn't go wide he would have got that victory, which would have went down as one of the biggest surprises in F1 history. I can't help but think this will damage Massa even more, the guy who is constantly rumoured to be taking his seat goes and puts it 2nd and even makes Alonso sweat....

Silly errors from Button and Vettel on the HRT, the Vettel haters will have a field day with that one. On the subject of Red Bull, when did Vettel get past Webber? I don't remember seeing it on track, did they give him first pit stop?

Mercedes really need to figure out what's going on with their race pace. Schumi did well to get in the top 10 after spinning at the start but neither were really in the hunt. The car clearly has a decent amount of downforce, you don't see them sliding all over the shop and fighting the car like you see Vettel and Massa/Alonso doing so often, else they wouldn't be qualifying so high (the "super DRS" isn't putting them massively ahead in top speed). There has to be a fundamental issue with the whole package or suspension that's hurting the tires.

Hamilton's race pace surprised me, he just couldn't hold a candle to the Sauber and Ferrari, wet or dry.

Good to see both Force India's in the points, as well as Senna making an absolute charge. Maldonado clearly has a last lap curse, which i'm fine with as I really dont like him.

8. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Great race, who could of called that!

Mercedes had very disappointing race pace, I guess they just can't get the car to run in the wet. Senna proving that driving in the wet runs through the family. And again Grosjean very unlucky as well as Maldonado. Vettels car seemed to be very temperamental towards the end.

Apparently Vettel running into Narain Karthikeyan is the HRTs fault. Narain Karthikeyan is getting a 20-second post-race penalty. http://thef1times.com/news/display/05673

9. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Thought that was an awesome race, Great to see someone different on the Podium. Such a shame for Button though.

Sam

10. Joey Propane

Well that's a load of bull if I ever saw it. At least Button was modest enough to admit he made the mistake when he hit him...

I used to dismiss all the talk and rumours that behind closed doors he was a petulant asshat, but the way he talked after the race to Lee McKenzie is starting to make me sway my opinion.

11. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Have to agree there. Whilst I don't think Karthikeyan should be in an F1 car (he really shouldn't, he's there because of money and nothing else imho) that was blatantly Vettel's fault and like you said, at least Button was able to admit it.

12. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

Re NK:

The first incident with Button was a racing incident. Fair enough.

However in a blue flag situation the back marker has to make sure they get clear out of the way. I think Seb may be right to feel a little aggrieved.

Gutted for Perez. That would have been superb. Still a delightful result, makes for a close championship.

13. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I managed to get to 14:30 without finding out anything about the race, I even stupidly clicked into this link and saw Krikkit at the top "What a race..." " OH MY GOD ASH WHY ARE YOU IN THIS THREAD!"

But yeah, casually listening to Radio six, 14:30 news comes on "Alonso wins Malaysian GP"...

My neighbour came around to ask if I was ok having screamed a naughty word at the top of my lungs...

My fault I suppose, they could have given warning though! Surely they know people will be waiting to watch the race on the beeb!

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

When I was watching the race I had instantly condemned Vettel for causing his own problem, but watching a replay NK actually comes across the track, despite having room to stay where he was. From the first angle it looks like it's Vettel's fault, but looking head-on at the pair it's pretty clear cut.

That said, Vettel bitching about it doesn't do him any favours - I'd be pissed off, but I'd hope to be able to avoid a sulk in front of the world's media.

15. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

16. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Vettel should have given him space to move back onto the racing line. Kartikheyan is being pushed onto the curbs (Which as Perez showed, has no grip) and was also full of the marbles. Vettel can't just push him off the road to overtake him. Horner stating that it's his job to get out of the way with a blue flag is correct, they have 3 warnings to do that though, and you can't expect him to get out of the way in a place where he literally can't get out of the way, in the middle of the corner.

Vettel got what was coming to him through a lack of patience, and lack of courtesy.

17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Vettel bitching about NK is idiotic.
    The guy's clearly very upset about various things right now, but calling NK an "idiot driver" is asking to get on peoples' s***list.

Maybe a bad year is good for him. He's being outrun by his teammate right now, so we'll see how he handles that.

The GRO-MSC incident looked to me like MSC pulled into GRO, but was ultimately a racing incident.

Was it jsut me, though, or is Massa driving badly? His standard defensive move seems to be "the drift", where he takes the incide line and then drifts outwards int he middle of the turn, not leaving enough room for another car next to him (case in point: the epic move Button pulled on him was only doable because Button kept his cool about him, and handled the situation with balls of titanium - last week massa collided like that). There's gonna be trouble about that, if he keeps it up.

What a race, though... edge of the seat stuff.

18. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

The BBC seem to enjoy screwing up by announcing the results before they show it on BBC.
    I did hear them warn on Radio1 about possible race spoiler but they need some consistency.

Cracking race though, thoroughly enjoyed it.

I wonder what odds you would have got for that podium!

19. Joey Propane

Found a great website for improving your F1 pup quiz knowledge: clicky

20. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

I also struggle with why the BBC report results as carelessly as they do. It wouldn't kill them to politely remind you that the highlights are on later and you may mish to make a mad dash for the mute button now.

I hate finding out the future. It really fecks with the space-time continuum.