1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2012 Thread - Post season

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 7 Dec 2011.

1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Maldonaldo was on the line and that still counts as being on the track (or very close to it). And then Hamilton closed down the next turn to the side where Maldonaldo was.

And i don't blame Hamilton. I just said he wasn't thinking. Because he wasn't - what were his options :
    1) situation which happened. Close down Maldonaldo, crash out. 0 points.
    2) leave enough space for Maldonaldo to take over. If Maldonaldo was out of the track, then he will get penalty and Hamilton will get his place back. 15 points.
    3) leave enough space for Maldonaldo to take over. Maldonaldo won't be punished. 12 points.

Notice the difference between putting a blame and saying he was not thinking. The difference is 15 or 12 points he could have versus 0 points he does have.

2. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

For those thinking Maldonado t-boned Hamilton, where do you think Maldonado should have gone once Hamilton had forced him off the circuit?

3. Pieface

Pieface Well-Known Member

Hamilton turned in on him? What was he supposed to do, drive straight into the wall so Maldonado could come back on the track? And Hamilton was on racing line, how did he force Maldonado off? Jesus christ.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Well-Known Member

Hamilton was holding his line which he is entitled to do.

It's a wide corner he could have just stayed off track until it was clear to move back on.

5. Throbbi

Throbbi New Member

Onto the brake pedal. :D

Seriously though, all Hamilton did was keep his line, Maldonado didn't back out of it in time to stay on track and then just kept his foot down and lunged back onto it. He should have carried on across the run off until it was clear and easy to come back on, the way all drivers drivers do at every track with tarmacked run offs. Instead he just dived straight at him. Think about it this way, if Hamilton hadn't been there he probably would have hit the wall, he certainly would had to kill speed to be able to keep it out of the wall.

More proof that Maldonado has a red streak in him which is a danger to other drivers. I still think that he should have at least received a suspension for the Monaco incident and the Spa incident last year. He's fast, racey and pretty smooth but he's also reckless and simply cannot handle real pressure.

Very similar to Hamilton in many respects but the big difference is that Hamilton is foolish and unthinking in most of his incidents, Maldonado is vicious and dangerous and therein lies the major (and I mean major) problem with him even being in F1 at all. How long will it be until he causes a major injury for another driver?

Last edited: 24 Jun 2012
  6. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I agree with faugusztin. Not exactly his fault but that doesn't mean he wasn't being silly.

Surprised the two car failures haven't been mentioned yet.

7. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

What a race who could of called that! Gutted for Hamilton I think it was Maldonado fault as he was off the track and tried to force himself on to it again when he could of easily could of taken the escape road he was already on.

But again Maclaren messing up the pitstops for Hamilton. Got 1 right but the other was woeful, and it released Alonso ahead of Hamilton.

8. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Race started off boring and samey with Vettel cruising off to his 20 sec lead, Call out the safety car, and the fun begins, and then to see his car break down, was jumping for joy:thumb:

Sad to see Hamilton out, but allowed Schumacher onto the Podium, Awesome.

Good result overall, Good to see Button and Di Resta in the points too.

Any idea on Alonso's break down?

Sam

9. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Ah, a little bit of F1 discussion sanity away from the madness at PF1.

I happen to support (or at least follow) Alonso and Raikkonen. So not a bad result for me today :D Great, exciting race in general though, as per usual this season it seems.

Contrary to opinions in some quarters, I think Raikkonen had similar pace to Grosjean this race, and had Maldonardo not put a kibosh on his excellent start the roles throughout could have been reversed.

Which brings me to Maldonardo :) It was his fault, albeit Hamilton squeezed him hard off the track prior to the accident. He has done some dangerous, stupid manoeuvres this season to his own and others detriment, but...

He's damn quick, and he's building a big reputation that either he's coming through, or there's going to be an accident: pick one.
    It may not make him popular, but if he can focus it a bit (and get a good drive), then I think the ingredients are there for a lot of success. F1 needs a baddie, right? :)

Oh, and without the safety car and subsequent breakdown, Vettel would have won by about a minute.

10. Red Eye

Red Eye Member

Have a look at this picture. What I think Maldonado was doing was avoiding the bump strips more than he was trying to avoid a collision with Hamilton. With the race drawing fast to a conclusion, Maldonado was probably thinking this is his only chance to pass Hamilton and that slowing down for the speed bumps would have meant not catching up for a second chance.

I think Maldonado can be too aggressive at times. As soon as the commentators said its Madonado behind Lewis I kept shouting at the screen (with my housemate watching) that Maldonado is too rough and will collide.

11. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

I watched the replay and it looks more like Maldonado sliding into Hamilton than crashing, from the replay when he is on the curve it looks like he has no grip, and I can understand why he is avoiding the speed bumps, but he should of backed out and gone up to the left and joined behind Hamilton. He still had another lap to get past Hamilton, oh well I think Maldonado is regretting it now to. Hind sight is a wonderful thing.

12. Red Eye

Red Eye Member

Agreed. Maldonado didn't think about the loss of traction while going over the curb back onto track (and Hamilton). Maldonado seems to consistently show his aggressive side cloud over him.

13. Throbbi

Throbbi New Member

Looks like the stewards were busy post race.

+20 seconds for Maldonado dropping him from 10th to 12th.
    5 place grid drop for Kobayashi for the incident with Massa.
    10 place drop and a 25000 Euro fine for Vergne for the incident with Kovalainen.

I had completely forgotten about that last one to be honest with the frantic last few laps, a fair penalty I think, it could have been an extremely nasty outcome.

14. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I dind't watch this, as I was working. Seems good as well. I would've like gotten angry again at McLaren for the front jack issue, and at Maldonado...
    Good to see the stewards doing what they're supposed to for a change, though.
    And loking at the replay, the JEV penalty seems fair to me.

15. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Well-Known Member

And now look at these pictures, a second before that one, plenty of time to get off the gas, bail, avoid Hamilton and the bump strips, instead which way is his steering wheel pointing?!?!?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

That is all nice and cool - but the fact is that Hamilton did a stupid thing. Even if Maldonaldo was driving insane, you don't turn left when you have a car on your left. And front of the Maldonaldo's car was at his side all the time. He couldn't even say "i didn't see him". But no, Hamilton decided to turn the left corner in the shortest possible route, while Maldonaldo was still at his left side. And then he was surprised that they crashed.

17. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Well-Known Member

You don't get to compete for the podium by being the nice guy, Hamilton held his line which he was entitled to, they're there to race not give places away to someone completely off the racing circuit.

Actually that may be a point, if Maldonaldo had made the pass stick without driving into the side of Hamilton, would it have been deemed an advantage by leaving the circuit and forced to give Hamilton the place back as he short cutted the racing line?

Either way the marshals, with tons more experience than you or I and all of the telemetry, tossed the coin and handed the penalty to Maldonaldo

18. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Maldonaldo was off track. The onus is on him to rejoin safely which he failed to do. We have seen plenty of other drivers push others wide or off the track into the run off zones before. Hamilton does seem to be a magnet for south american drivers though.

19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Looking at the replays - Hami's move was justified.
    a) Hamilton was fighting the car, and it was visible that he was. Maldonado trying a risky move there was downright stupid.
    b) Lewis had track position. Maldonado SHOULD have done what Alonso did a few races back when Rosberg allegedly pushed him off: Apply pressure on the brake pedal. Back out of the move.
    c) Maldonado went off track because he didn't want to brake. His choice, not Hamilton forcing his hand.
    d) Hamilton is right when he says "let noone pass". Chances are that he had a shot at defending for a bit more, but would eventually have had to give up the position. His plan wasn't to finsih third, but rather to NOT finish lower than he has to. I.e. he might be forced to give up 3rd, but that doesn't mean that he has to give up 4th...

unrelated and based on pure opinion: Maldonado has shown on numerous occasions now that he's hot headed, and unwilling to accept responsibility. That seems to be a south american thing as well. It was time he got hit with something for that.

20. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I've said this before, I'll say it again.

I don't even like Hamilton. He's like Tobey Maguire's Spiderman - could be badas but is really a mopey little git. But in this case, it's pretty clear who was being thick and who wasn't. If Hamilton hadn't defended that position, I would have lost all respect for him as a racecar driver. I'm glad he stuck to the line and hung Maldonado out to dry, and I hope Maldonado wakes the **** up and sorts out his aggression issues or he will find himself out of a drive pretty quick.