1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2012 Thread - Post season

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 7 Dec 2011.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Doubt it - Ferrari have already said they were well into the process of developing their own.

2. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Reactive ride height banned for 2012 - ???

I've just got the news, and wtf, I didn't expect this, stacked diffusers lasted two years, even the f-duct lasted a year. Next they'll be baning suspension because that definitely stabilises the cars airo'. I'm starting to love the ACO, much prefer the conduct they have. Like Toyota's hybrid entry (wonder if they are gonna do battery changes), and the Drayson entry is different. The WEC must be more technically advanced now.

Lotus are on the back foot now, the complications now if they had a properly optimised car will be big. Front suspension geometry will be wrong (if they went down the road i was thinking of, the launch of the car should make this visible), for much of the season (because of holmolegation and crash testing). The diffuser and leading edge of the floor won't be quite right, the rear suspension might be affected too. All on-top of the loss in performance from the front wing.

Now what about the other type of leveling, the not as good as active ride but still attempts to neutralise pitch with "interlinked suspension hydraulics".

3. Krikkit

Removing the device will have little to no aero effect - most of it's located behind the brake cowling gubbins at the wheel hub. I'm sure they've planned for the case of it being banned in terms of suspension geometry, in the end it's just a case of changing the push-rods for solid ones and slightly altering the damping/spring rates.

4. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Ah, I was going to edit my post to include a link, but here. And scrabs technical preview has a digram of anti-dive geometry, we'll see on the 5th what they've got.

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

The scarbs previews are great!
    I can't wait to see the new cars...

6. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

Just to let you know in here that FantasyF1League is back up and running ready for the season.

Mates league is called bit-tech and password is cheesecake

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

8. alastor

alastor Minimodder

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

So Kimi has officially had his first run.
    Lotus is extremely impressed by the sound of things, ad Day two is happening today.
    Yesterday was apparently around 300km on 3 sets of Pirelli testing rubber, today is scheduled for more distance and more rubber.
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97156

The FIA has also explained why the trick suspension was banned:
    Aerodynamic advantages, breaking the rules.

10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

So Autosprint (link - MS Translated) claims to have a drawing of the new Ferrari. -Editi: I see i got beaten there... shame on me for not reading...
    Other than that, Pirelli changed the markings on the tyres a bit, Petrov could be in a Pirelli seat this year, and Kimi Raikönnen calls the testing session he had positive.

11. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Good to see the silver (hard) being darkened down a bit, hopefully there'll actually be a visible difference between that and the white (medium) this season.

If the Autosprint drawings are accurate (and I think they probably are) it'll be very interesting to see if anyone else has come up with a similar spilt sidepods and floor idea.

12. Krikkit

The Caterham is the first car to be unveiled for 2012, and MY GOD it's HIDEOUS.

[​IMG]

13. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

It's got an ironing board

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

That nose does look weird... hopefully it's not the sign of what to expect from the other teams...

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

OMG! MY Eyes!!! That looks like an older Fiat Multipla...
    if that thing isn't fast enough to challenge the midfielders, the ugliness would eb all for nothing.

16. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Side note: I can see Red Bull revealling their car:
    Yes... this is the new car.. the RB8. For the media around - please note that we have people covering the rear, and are using the '11 spec nose, sidepods, floor, front wing, rear wing and wheels for the purpose of this reveal... We'll see all y'all b*tches in Abu Dabi.

17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Scarbs has a breakdown and analysis (as well as some more tiny pictures) of the CT-01, which is worth a read... the pictures there don't make it look THAAAAAAAT ugly...

18. fu manchu

fu manchu I'll have the special.

Andrew Benson quote from BBC F1

I'm told by highly reliable sources that the vast majority of the teams will have similarly ugly noses to the Caterham, owing to regs

Guest-44432 likes this.
  19. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH My Eyes!!! I know it needs to be lower than last year, but surely there could have been a smoother transition than a ****ing step!

20. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

They have a minimum cross section at the bulkhead in the area and a maximum height of the duckbill/ironing board not far away.

Scarabs: