1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2013 Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 11 Jan 2013.

1. David

David Take my advice — I’m not using it.

Another dominant victory - Well done Adrian Newey.

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzz

2. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Basically this, I hate the fact that Seb's 4th championship is more or less wrapped up. Yet for me, I don't think he's anything special. Put him in a Sauber or Force India and lets see how well he can do.

3. jrs77

jrs77 Well-Known Member

I believe it when it's confirmed by Räikkönen.

Additionally, the next season will be basically a total restart due to the new engines and areo-regulations. In that light it would be best for Räikkönen to stay with Lotus or look for a team like McLaren. But that's just my guts talking.

As Räikkönen and Lotus are now definately out of the championship, they should concentrate their develoment 110% on the car for the next season.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

McL? Especially as they will pretty much have another reboot just year later due engine supplier change ?

5. jrs77

jrs77 Well-Known Member

Who says that McLaren will change to another supplier after their current contract with Mercedes has run out?

And even if they do, maybe they allready are talking to Honda, as it's mentioned that they'll come back as a supplier... McLaren-Honda anyone *yay*

6. rici1241

rici1241 Active Member

What was the red car at the back of the grid doing beside the medical car?

Hamilton made the race somewhat interesting at the end, but otherwise, it was a snooze-fest.
    He was really hard on himself in the interview. A bit too hard.

And Jenson's hat.....

7. faugusztin

Do you even read the news ? McLaren is switching to Honda in 2015. Which means they will have one year with V6 Mercedes, and then year after they are switching to V6 Honda.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22551204 - that article is from May. 4 months old news.

8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

Put him in a Toro Rosso and watch him win a grand prix, name the other Toro Rosso drivers to win a race... oh right.

What else.

Youngest driver to score points (in a Sauber actually), youngest race winner, youngest world champion, youngest double/triple champion, third driver ever to be back to back to back triple champion (Schumacher, Fangio), soon to be second driver ever to win four in a row, third all time pole positions, twelfth all time fastest laps, fourth all time wins.

Worse still, he's 26, we've got another decade of this.

As much as he annoys me Vettel is pretty special, Newey designs some amazing cars but Vettel is far and away the most dominant driver ever to sit in a Newey-mobile. He's fast, he's completely ruthless and since the end of 2010 he's more or less stopped making mistakes.

Bloody German.

9. faugusztin

I guess you are forgetting that it was heavily helped with rain.

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

So? It's still a pole position and a win in a Toro Rosso, there have been wet races since and I don't see Ricciardo or Vergne with victories to their name.

11. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Yeah that Toro Rosso wasn't actually a Toro Rosso, it was a Redbull in disguise!

12. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

Champ done and dusted but that was a known before the race. Contructors also looks pretty settled and need a mirical to see anything but a redbull Double.

13. David

I wouldn't say Vettel isn't a great driver - Just that he by no means the best driver, and certainly not as good as four WDCs (pretty much) would have you believe.

As I said a while back:
    Vettel looks good next to a mediocre team mate. If that team mate was Alonso, Räikkönen or Hamilton he wouldn't be looking anywhere near as good.

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Vettel may [or may not, depending on your viewpoint] be a good driver, but he's [imo] ****ing boring to watch...

I can't see many looking back on his trophy filled career with misty eyed memories of 'Remember when Vettel did such and such?' like they do with others... When all is said and done Vettel is a statistic, nothing more...

15. Throbbi

Throbbi New Member

Now this I can totally agree with. Vettel is obviously not just some average guy in the best car, we can see that in the constant performance difference between him and Webber, but he really is boring to watch. I can honestly think of one move which made me sit and say 'Yup, that was ****ing awesome!' and that was around the outside of curve grande (or maybe lesmo 1) at Monza last year. When a guy has 3 titles on the trot and only has 1 stand out move it doesn't speak volumes for entertainment.

Irvine, Alesi, Barrichello and company never won a title but I'd still watch them go at it any day preferred to Vettel. I know they're from yesteryear but even Button and Hamilton have had some fantastic dogfights the last couple of years which made for great viewing. Finger, has not.

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I don't think it can be underestimated how much that car has evolved to suit Vettel's tastes in performance/characteristics. Vettel is a better driver than Webber, but not as much as their results tell imo.

17. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

wether vettel is good or bad is not really relivent. Hes gonna win 4 straight world drivers title 2 of which he probably should not of had but won anyway.

Redbull car has not been every year the fastest on track, McLaren were faster last year and just fecked it up, Ferrari were in position and they did a similar thing.

Dont like Vettel but cant deny he has talent in the car.

18. jrs77

jrs77 Well-Known Member

Such news aren't allways telling what's really happening in the end, and that's why I wrote it the way I did.

Additionally, I don't think that it's any problem for a team like McLaren to switch engines like that.

19. j_jay4

j_jay4 Member

Raikkonen to Ferrari Source

I really hope Massa finds a seat for next year. He is a world champion class driver and as a number one driver in a team I think he could fight for a championship.

Lotus with Hulkenberg and Massa would be pretty epic.

20. David

That could be a potent mix, and bloody hard to beat if Ferrari produce a competitive car.

I wonder if they are going to abandon the current notion of no.1 and no.2 driver in the team, coz I can't see Kimi opting for the bitch seat. Unless Alonso really is going to take a sabbatical?

Just seen this in the BBC gossip section too:

Last edited: 10 Sep 2013