1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Like so many films these days, all the good bits are in the trailer.

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

theres loads of good bits through the entire film but if its not put together right then it just looks ****.

3. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Watched 2 films recently;

Super 8 - 8/10
    Really enjoyed it, simple fun. Like an ET for the younger generation, but show the trend of films being more bombastic (compare the amount of action to that of ET), but really enjoyed it.

Underworld Awakening - 4/10
    The only redeeming features were some of the action scenes and a dramatic increase in the amount of Kate Beckinsale in a corset and latex catsuit. Sorry, but she is absolutely gorgeous :D I like the Underworld franchise, but they really did miss the mark with this one.
    If films are going to use 3D, make it so that when it's viewed in 2D that the scenes don't look so horribly out of place.

4. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Really? Glad you enjoyed it but I thought it was pretty meh myself -- 4/10 for me.

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

The bit about 3D a million-billion times over and over again!
    And yes, the movie was rubbish. KB is one of the hottest females on the planet, and probably the only 10 out there right now (if you don't agree on this, you're wrong). That said, even she can't save this film from the clutches of Terrible.

6. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I saw it when it was released and thought it was ok, if lacking in any real plot etc

KB is hawt. But take a look at Cobie Smulders in Avengers Assemble or in general now she is hawt!!

But back on topic.

The 3D in Avengers wasn't all that much. There was more 3D in the credits than the actual film.

7. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Iron Sky - 9/10

Finally saw it, and it was a pleasant surprise. They kept the sense of humor from Star Wreck, but made it an actual film.

Drive - 7/10

A bit different, but still a rather basic action blah blah.

Super 8 - 6/10

Had no idea what to expect, but it still turned out to be disappointing. Overall I just think I've seen way too many films with the same overall vibe (see above) and wonder why I even bother trying..

8. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Avengers Assemble - The best film I have ever seen, exciting, gripping and just damn awesome!

10/10.

9. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Just got back from seeing the Avengers (I refuse to call it Avengers Assemble).....and bloody hell that was good. I can't remember the last time I have been that entertained at the cinema, in fact I'm not sure I have. Well worth the 5 quid.

9.5/10

Basic action? :eyebrow:

I'm not sure what your ideas would be to revolutionise the genre, but I'd love to hear them. I thought it was very different to your usual Hollywood action flick, with top notch acting and a great soundtrack. It was probably my favourite film of last year.

10. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I cannot believe how many people have said Avengers is their film of the year :/

About Drive, I'm with smc, I would hardly call it a standard action film, was nice and different in my opinion, really enjoyed it.

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

you know where this is going...

Marvel's Avengers - Hulk/10

[I too refuse to call it 'Avengers Assemble']

I don't think I've enjoyed watching a film quite so much in some time... it may have had all the depth of a spoon, I may have had to side through half an hour of trailers beforehand and it may have just been one big CGI 'slode-fest... and I really don't care...

also if the hulk had been like that in either of the films... I might actually have watched them...

12. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Ok. Who was it who mentioned Chevaliers du Ciel? I need to do unspeakably wonderful things to them.

If you're an aviation nutjob - 10/10, if not..ummm...probably no where near as high.

13. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

It might have been me, might have been someone else. Glad you enjoyed it though :thumb:

14. longweight

What is wrong with AA?

15. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

So I gave it a try - 7.1/10. I'm afraid watching it did nothing for my first impression of Studio Ghibli films being overhyped - I'm not sure I get all the mad fapping about these films based on the two I've seen.

It's basically a high school/teen-crush/awkwardness flick, particularly for the first hour. The last half hour got more interesting and saved it from being given a score of 6/10. The music was nice too. But there was nothing about it that would make me recommend it especially or want to watch it again. The exaggerated laughter and crying was a standout irritation - really distracts from any immersion I may have had.

Is it just cos they're animated that they get bonus points, or cos they're Japanese anime, or just cos they come with the Ghibli tag?

The Help - 7/10

Definitely a chick-flick. It drew heavily on some tired stereotypes of the era in which it was based ('60s USA) - maybe the stereotypes are completely justified, I don't know, but when you're watching and consciously considering the stereotypical nature of the characters it again distracts from the immersion and becomes less interesting.

That said there were some funny moments and mildly touching moments, and the acting and overall feel of the film was good.

16. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Well it's a bit long. There's a section when they're on the carrier/copter that really could have done with being shortened and there were too many 1-on-1 arguments going on, which were true to the comics but didn't really work on screen. Oh and if I'm going to be picky, the throwing away the whole Ultimate series of the comics with a single line that most people will have missed.

Then you've got the whole question of what's the film called? Pick one from:

• Marvel Avengers Assemble
    • Avengers Assemble
    • The Avengers
    • Marvel: The Avengers

That's why I only gave it 8/10. It's good but it's not Cabin in the Woods good.

Oh and another thing. I saw it on a weekend, in 3d. Definitely not worth £10 for the experience.

17. longweight

Seeing any film in 3D is a mistake, it was amazing quality on 2D, who cares what it is called?

I thought it was really well paced, good to see how well the Marvel / DC films are being received.

18. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I thought the storyline was pretty weak, and it became just a cgi fest.
    Hulk stole the show for me easily, both funny and badass, with Thor not far behind.
    I also thought some of the conversations/character developments were a bit meh, not a terrible film by any means, but I wouldn't consider it anything special.

19. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Completely agree, it's a great popcorn kids movie. If loud bangs and big cgi explosions is your thing then it's great. Plot, character developement have been thrown out the window. I would have preferred Ed Norton as his Hulk is clearly the best. We've waited an age for Nick Fury to stand out and we are still waiting. Black Widow although a nice ass, does not deserve any spin off and that goes for Hawkeye too but his ass is nowhere near as nice. When Ironman turns up, it becomes Ironman 2.5 which isn't good since 2 was god damn awful.

Again, a great popcorn kids movie.

20. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I couldn't disagree more.