1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Watch all four films and you will see that even with all the negativity thrown at Alien3 and Alien Resurrection. It doesn't hide the fact that "Aliens Special Edition" is now a turdburger!

Even the Alternative edit of ALien3 put's it to shame today.

I smite thee James "Lazy Unimaginative *******ising Everything He Touches" Cameron!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcFnvULy8zA

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

so what your saying is Terminator 1 and 2 are ****?

[​IMG]

3. Snips

One was great, two was meh. It was just too nice and don't get me started on the Special Edition of that as well. Arse numbing snoozefest comes to mind and yet again, I can point out the awful wooden acting from Cameron's usual suspects.

I just feel the true mark of a great film should "wow" you each and every time you watch it. Apart from his first Terminator, which at times is a little slow, you cannot say any of his films before or since you can say are "wow" films.

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

LEAVE THIS PLACE AND TAKE YOUR HERESY WITH YOU

5. Snips

Wow, aren't opinions great ;)

You didn't like those films did you?

I have to back that up by saying I was there midnight showing opening night at the local Showcase Theatre to watch it. I came out thinking "Yes, that Liquid T1000 was great!" but that was about it. Terrible casting for John Connor or was that just poor dialogue and script? Some truly awful acting from the supporting cast.

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

you are entitled to your opinion however WRONG it may be.

7. Snips

So explain how it can be defined as a great movie? Don't get me wrong, I have no malice towards you and I'm not ramming my opinion down everyone's throat.

I can understand why some films are held up with high regard and clearly merit such respect e.g Alien, The Exorcist, The Terminator, etc..

However, I cannot bring myself to place these other Cameron films in the same category. Yes, they made a huge pile of cash but that doesn't make them Great movies.

Last edited: 18 Dec 2013
  8. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

T2 and Aliens (both special edition) are quite possibly 2 of my favorite films. I can watch them over and over. Never get bored of them and am surprised how well both of them have aged.

That's my opinion!

EDIT: I think they are great movies because i think the story in each is immense, well written and well acted.

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Just.. because it is.

However, I don't understand why so many people jizz over Pacific Rim. I thought it was pretty poor. The storyline was weak, the acting was dire. As with gaming, pretty graphics do not a great experience make. It was one of those rare films that made me wish it would end. And when it did, it was an anti-climax.

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Absolutely! Everyone is entitled to voice theirs.

In fact, I would fight for your right to be wrong! ;)

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

[​IMG]

... and for the record I also thought [still do think] Alien was utter, utter shite... and so was Aliens... and all copies of Resurrection and the AvP Films should be incenerated for the good of all...

Terminator 2 > 1 [imo]... 3 and Salvation... well... we don't talk about those...

12. Hardware150

Hardware150 Minimodder

T2 and Aliens are awesome. For some reason I didn't get to see terminator 1 until I was in my 20's, and although it was an ok film, it just wasn't what I expected, and its not going to be on my rewatch list anytime soon.

Alien 3 and resurrection i didn't find awful, but I'm all for mindless action movies. Terminator 3 made me want to hurl, but salvation wasn't bad (maybe i just have low standards)

Predator is awesome, predator 2 isn't the best, alien vs predator 1 and 2 are awful awful films, predators isn't bad, although i wouldn't say its anywhere near as good as number 1.

Pacific Rim i enjoyed, mindless robots vs monsters, and Idris Elba, whats not to love?

Best 80's film was clearly Commando though.

Cooke: You scared, ************? Well, you should be, because this Green Beret is going to kick your big ass!

Matrix: I eat Green Berets for breakfast. And right now, I'm very hungry!

Cindy: [hiding under a table] I can't believe this macho ********...

[Cooke aims a gun at Matrix]

Cooke: **** you, asshole!

[Cooke squeezes the trigger, but the gun clicks empty]

Matrix: **** *you*, asshole.

OPINIONS!

stonedsurd likes this.
  13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Hobbit: Desoooooolation of Smawwwggggg (said in Dwarf-ish) in HFR 3D IMAX!

I can't score it without breaking it down. Spoilers are blanked. If you haven't seen it and want to I suggest not reading them.

First 30 seconds: OMFG
    PETER JACKSON
    CAMEO LOL!
    First 10 minutes: FFS this looks like a cross between 80s Knightmare and a TV movie. I paid 14 quid for this?
    Next 2 hours: This is really good. The effects and 3D are well done and there's lots of cool action. I'm generally happy. I try to ignore the surprisingly poor cinematography, but there are at least flashes of brilliance in there. Some scenes go from "EPIC OMGEYEBALLZ QUALITY" to "We shot this with a Go-Pro"
    Suddenly:
    Holy **** it's Stephen Fry. Am I watching a BBC period drama?
    More
    sailing
    /walking
    Suddenly: "Nope. This movie ain't ending yet, bro."
    Dragon scenes: Pretty ****ing awesome!
    Suddenly: LOLOLOL High-school rendering of fluid dynamics. Not just one scene, but everything. All the magic is gone. I'm actually laughing.
    It ends. You realise there's another 3 ****ing hours to sit through next year. You sigh.

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Dec 2013
    Krikkit likes this.
  14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Lol, I've heard someone say something similar, but not quite as eloquently as you Bindi. :D

15. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

Opinions are like arseholes; everyone has one...

I like all the Alien movies at least a little. And I like all the Terminator movies too, again at least a little for the not so strong ones.

16. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

This guy knows what's up. :thumb:

17. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Commando was awesome! Hard to beat a bit of proper cringe inducing vintage Arnie. T2 was amazing. I have seen it so many times that I know the script by heart :D

Anyway, most recent viewings for me:

Argo: 8/10 - Fascinating story, great delivery by an impressive cast and all in all a well directed film. I am a sucker for US intelligence/crime/military films though (incidentally, the main reason I am so addicted to Homeland), but the thing which stood out for me in Argo were the little details and tie-ins with the original hostages/escapees. Particularly good was how much the actors looked like their real world counterparts at the time of the incident. It not only shows that a lot of research was conducted by the production crew but also that it was accurately acted upon.

Man of Steel: Meh/10. Maybe a 5? I dunno, it was pretty thin and sketchy the whole way through. It had potential, but the story was really poorly executed, and there was absolutely no need for it to be over 2 hours long. I avoided watching the "Cinema Sins" video for this on YouTube until I'd actually seen the film, but even before watching the seventy something things they found wrong with it, I think I was in the mid fifties myself having just watched the film. Sure, it leaves the franchise wide open for a sequel, but I sincerely hope it's a lot better than the first. As openers go, this one was a lot of meh.

Drive: 9/10. I waited a long time to see this! If I'm really honest, I don't know what I dropped it a point for, so let's just call it an even 10/10 and be done with it. I mean come on... this is how you make an immense film. Characters? Interesting, mysterious, dangerous, beautiful, rough, burly.... The diversity of personalities amongst the characters was incredible. The story? Masterful and gripping from start to finish. The cinematography? Holy crap I didn't know films could look this good. It's just the whole package... It's sheer brilliance. If you haven't seen this yet, watch it! I can honestly say this was an instant top 10* film for me.

*Off the top of my head and in no particular order: Heat, Kingdom of Heaven, Collateral, 25th Hour, American Gangster, Blade Runner, Public Enemies, Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction

Last edited: 18 Dec 2013
  18. Snips

I've obviously got higher standards than some.

Do you think "The Only Way Is Essex" is real?

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

You forgot the soundtrack on Drive Uni. Absolutely epic. Definitely one of my top-10 favourite films.

20. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

That I did! Absolutely incredible - I actually had the soundtrack well before I even saw the film! :p