1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Robot & Frank - 7.5 / 10
    Enjoyed this quite a bit more than I expected. Lighthearted movie about an ex-cat burglar and his robot care taker.

2. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil New Member

AI: Artificial Intelligence

umm/10

Okay, I'll break this down a bit:

First ~30-45 minutes were very awkward to watch, you can feel the creepiness and it just makes for uncomfortable viewing. Fairly predictable and formulaic given the material, and well acted, but awkward nonetheless.

Middle section was fine, story was moving along nicely and you meet some great characters and really start to think things are going somewhere.

The reunion with the doctor was unexpected & then I thought the film was gonna end on a bum note & too abruptly, but then...

The last ~30 minutes- wtf. Spielberg was clearly off his tits on coke again with the whole alien/robot thing- that was totally unexpected and just utterly ridiculous in its entirety.

Now I understand why this film was panned so badly by critics and most people who've seen it- if it wasn't quite so awkward near the start and had a more sensible ending (
    say, transfer mecha consciousness into an organic, grown body, a la Avatar style or something
    ), it might have actually been enjoyable without being stupid & overly smultzy...

Last edited: 6 Jan 2014
  3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Rush 9/10

A bit too much focus on Hunt given he was pitted as very clearly second best in the movie, and perhaps not enough actual racing but it was a human story more than Fast n Furious, but altogether a really great watch.

4. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Anchorman 2: 4/10 - appallingly unoriginal and WAY over the top. No need to go to the cinema for this one. For the record, I loved the first, because of how original it was. This added nothing to the plate and rehashed old jokes with some steroids.

Heat: 9/10 - how have I never seen this? One of the best action films I've ever seen.

5. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil New Member

The ringer ( 2005 )

6/10

Johnny Knoxville pretending to be retarded to win the special olympics- what do you expect? :D
    Actually quite charming and funny in places, if a bit cringe-worthy, but the fact they used real handicapped people who turned in a good performance makes it kinda endearing in a strange way...

6. October

October Mariachi Style

Yeah it impressed me loads when I watched it, a lot more heart than I expected.

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I tend to agree there to some extent.
    I felt it good that the story was more human centred. Obviously some plot points are warped a bit to accommodate for that, but it was a good movie to watch.
    8/10

8. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I haven't seen it for a few years but
    I thought they were evolved mecha rather than aliens and they had outlived mankind?

9. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil New Member

Yeah, that occurred to me about 30 seconds after I turned off the PC :duh: Wasn't immediately obvious though due to how they looked, but it dawned on me later- I was too busy laughing & shaking my head though at the time- it was just totally incongruous visually compared to the rest of the film and the plot went haywire at that point...

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Star Trek:

The Motion Picture - 4/10
    The Wrath of Khan - 8/10
    The Search for Spock - 7/10
    The Voyage Home - 6.5/10
    The Final Frontier - 5/10

Last edited: 9 Jan 2014
  11. RedFlames

The Undiscovered Country - 7/10
    Generations - 7/10
    First Contact - 9/10
    Insurrection - 7.5/10
    Nemesis - 8/10

12. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil New Member

Dear boy, you seem to have put an 8 instead of a 10 for Wrath of Khan, just thought you should know :thumb:

13. RedFlames

It's my favourite of the Kirk-era ones, but it loses out to First Contact as my outright favourite

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

First Contact is a magnificent film, definitely my favourite of the Treks.

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

damnit you've made me want to watch First Contact again now.

16. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Active Member

I've seen them all in the cinema but I've only got two Trek films on disc and they're Wrath of Khan & First Contact.

17. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Why was First Contact so good yet everything else just seemed like an extended episode?

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Real Steel (well second half on HBO)

Robots Fighting - WOOP/10
    Hugh Jackman's accent - WTF/10
    Little Kid - Sod off/10
    General story - Meh/10
    Evangeline Lilly no bra - Ohhhyessss/10

Overall I would have enjoyed a supercut of robot fights with intermittent EL jumping up and down a lot more.

19. Jaybles

Jaybles New Member

O Brother Where Art Thou - 8/10
    Fun Coen brothers film with George Clooney and John Turturro.

Get Low - 8/10
    Terrible title but a decent film with a story that keeps you interested even if a little slow.

True Romance - 10/10
    Watch it. Christian Slater. Patricia Arquette. Gary Oldman. Christopher Walken. Dennis Hopper. Brad Pit. Written by Tarantino. Soundtrack by Hans Zimmer.

Mad Max - 7/10
    A good but I think slightly over rated film. Nowadays doesn't really stand up.

Headhunters - 9/10
    Scandinavian film based on the book by Jo Nesbo. If you dont like reading subtitles dont watch it.

Drive - 9/10
    Ryan Gosling as a quiet stunt/getaway driver. Honestly expected nothing of this. A dark gritty film where you can watch things escalate.

Wall-e - 9/10

Donnie Brasco - 8/10
    Based on a true story about an undercover detectives struggle.

Zodiac - 8/10

Rango - 9/10

Last edited: 10 Jan 2014
  20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ironically it was the most like an extended episode, since it directly related to Picard's assimilation.

I threw it on the phone to watch this morning on the train. I did not realize Jonathan Fracks (Reiker) directed it!

The first 10 minutes gets you going with pew pew fight straight out and there's tons of cameos from the Defiant and the EMH for ex. (Regardless of the obvious hole asking HOW the Defiant got there when it's stationed in DS).

It's got the Borg, which are generally a good enemy and it's got multiple connected plots ongoing at once.

The thing ST movies missed all those years is big **** off space battles; how about reviewing more ST history like the Romulin War etc? It'll be much easier to do these days in CG, but now we have Apple-Trek with a walking dick for a captain Kirk it's just not the same.