1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil 6/10

Parody of and hommage to the old horror slasher classics ala Evil Dead and Halloween. Very well done for a B-movie and incredibly funny. Definitely recommended!

The Last Witch Hunter 3/10

Vin Diesel plays a viking who is cursed with immortality and uses his time to hunt witches. Boring movie with a horribly cheesy ending. Avoid!

Transformers 4 0/10

This one is without doubt the worst movie I have ever seen. Confusing story, non-existent acting and SO MUCH PRODUCT PLACEMENT. Awful. It's even worse that Sharknado or Megashark vs. Giant Octopus.

House of Cards Season 1 7/10

Good story and incredibly good acting by Kevin Spacey that would have earned them a 9/10 or maybe even 10/10 if it were not for all the product placement, esp. for the PS4. So very annoying and distracting. Season 2 seems to be even worse.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Blu-Ray (1080p) 10/10

The best anime of all times gets even better. Absolutely worth the money for the Blu-Rays even if you already own the DVDs as I do. The difference in visual quality is astonishing.

2. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959)

I can't have enough of Christopher Lee/Peter Cushing duet.
    [​IMG]

3. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

I just watched The Last Witch Hunter as well and give it at least a 6 out of 10. I liked the effects and the world and the magic. It could have been more fleshed out but it leaves some room for a sequel.

I full agree with you on Transformers 4, ridiculous parp.

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut
    8/10

I like the original. Even with Eva Green beeing a bit "peripheral" in the mix. The directors cut changes this (but the film feels a good bit longer as a consequence) and makes for a deeper film.
    'Twas a good recommendation from this very thread. Thank you.

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

You're welcome, glad you enjoyed it!

6. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Meh, I think my biggest problem with the movie is actually Vin Diesel. The role was just too big for him. Don't get me wrong, I usually like Diesel's performance. He's perfect for the maniac Riddick.

The Last Witch Hunter is 100% cliche. It's completely predictable, there is absolutely no new concept explored in the movie. Everything has been done before, and better. A good performance would have saved the movie, but the usual Vin Diesel as the old warrior weary of battle just wasn't believable.

The ending did absolutey ruin the movie for me though. :wallbash:

7. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

<iframe src="http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1553707545/imdb/embed?autoplay=false&width=480" width="480" height="270" allowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" frameborder="no" scrolling="no"></iframe>
    cannot wait

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Well, that failed hard.

Try this one:-

9. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Thank you Ian

10. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Is it wrong that I don't even like warcraft and I don't think this looks half bad?

11. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Spectre - BOND/10.

I hope this is the last Bond starring Daniel Craig. Whilst the story is quite clunky it does tie his four films into a sort of arc, plus it gives the opportunity to make the fan theory of Bond being a code name into canon if James Blonde gets his girl and rides away into the sunset.

I liked it, it did fall into the Brosnan/Dalton globe trotting formula a bit but it was still a good Bond movie. So 3 out of 4 good movies for Craig and let's try to ignore Quality of Sausage.

Last edited: 7 Nov 2015
  12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

There is also the theory
    That Craig's Bond is the son of Connery's Bond

But yes, apart from Question of Sport the Craig run was ok, but I think they should move on, they've introduced and established a new M, a new Moneypenny and a new Q so a new Bond and the big reset would be complete [though imo they should've done the big reset at the beginning of Craig's run...]

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

A Most Violent Year.

8/10. Not your usual gangster flick. Great dialogue, interesting, believable story. Definitely recommend.

14. Xir

Xir Modder

FURY 7/10
    Probably one of the hardest WWII movies I've ever seen, makes Band of Brothers and the likes seem tame.
    Can't believe this is a film rated for 16, not 18 though.

Slight annoyance one: a sherman isn't even nearly that big on the inside. :D
    Big annoyance two
    the last stand, where dozens of enemies tackle a tank that cannot move from the front, because thats where the firepower is, the entire scene is a big-hero-vs-stupid-enemy cliché

Jupiter Ascending 7 8/10

A difficult one. on the one hand it was too long, too repetitive*, on the other hand there's so much left uncovered, more background stories could have made this two-three movies, or a mini-series.
    I don't think Mila Kunis was the right choice either, but that may just be me.

The wife thought it was highly entertaining and would even watch it again, that's rare and worth an extra point.

Jupiter gets abused and rescued from each of the three sisters essentially

15. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

The Man from UNCLE - 3/10

I know a few people that liked this but I just wasn't feeling it, I never watched the TV show, it might be good if you did like it but not for me thanks

16. Xir

Xir Modder

Requiem for a Killer 5/10 "Requiem pour une tueuse"

A killer is hunted herself...ummm, rather slow but well acted french thriller.
    Alas, (hence the score) mediocre.

17. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Spectre - 8/10

I really enjoyed this. Craig's bond definitely brings something else to the table with these kind of scripts and the action was thick and entertaining.
    Was I the only one really surprised by the Blofeld thing? So Craig's bond is a full reboot of the series or an alternate take on the universe?

Kung Fury - 10/10

I laughed out loud. Absolutely fantastic idea well put together. I'm not giving anything away, you need to see it.

18. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Deathgasm - 10/10

I've been following this film since last year, been waiting for it patiently, and I finally got to see it a couple of weeks ago.
    Oh, holy balls, how good is this film? If I could stretch my arms wide enough for 'how good' it is, they would stretch from here (Glasgow), to Saturn.

I love horror movies, I love comedies, and I love heavy metal. The fact that this covers all three bases means that this film is just perfect.

Along with Bad Taste, Braindead, and Black Sheep, this is another film to add to the pantheon that proves that New Zealand produces the most imaginative, silliest, and just best horror/comedy films in the world.

19. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

Theory of Everything - 8/10

Thoroughly good. The characters are all complex and well developed. The passage of time is represented well. It doesn't show the world or any of the characters as being binary good or bad. Things good and bad happen, people react in real, complicated ways.

It suffers the same problem Imitation Game had of just bypassing all the extremely hard work to actually come up with theories, work hard, prove them. But it wins out by having the characters, and the human struggle they go through, be much more compelling.

20. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Is that the one on Netflix about
    a cop who got hit by lightning