1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

X-Men apocalypse.
    Slower than treacle in winter time / 10.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Time Bandits - So that's what an invisible barrier looks like/10

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Boss Baby: Unnecessarily scary/10. Kids weren't impressed, lacks real laughs, didn't finish it.

4. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Blame! 6.5/10

Movie adaptation of Tsutomu Nihei's masterpiece. This film only covers the first big arc of the manga, to my disappointment. I hope for more movies later, but my score is on the film as a whole.

The animation bugs me. It works much better for a sci-fi, steampunky series like Blame! but not for a fantasy series, such as berserk. It's juttery however, the animation isn't smooth when characters are moving.

Voice acting, nothing to complain about. Lip syncing is pretty bad though. Killy, the main character, speaks far too much. He's mostly silent as a protagonist.

It's entertaining and all of the plot points are there, but i'm still not sure about the animation or if I can get used to it.

5. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Alien Covenant - Relief & Despair/10
    I enjoy it and it was great to see that it held together a lot better than Prometheus but I doubt i would rush to watch it again. It was a nice mix of Alien 1/2/3 and the themes which they have developed from Prometheus were interesting.

Big question time though - are they just milking the franchise dry? Have they been doing that since Alien 3?

And on a more serious plot point - MAJOR SPOILERS:
    So David wiped out the engineers, David then engineered the facehugger so riddle me this - how did the space jockey with the ship full of eggs arrive on LV 426 for Ripleys team to stumble upon? I just dont see any way in which Scott can bridge that gap without it being seriously crap

6. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Tried watching Blame on the big screen yesterday but the low fps animations really bugged me. Watched something else after 10 minutes.

Knights of Sidonia is done in the same style and annoyed me for the same reason.

Rammstein: Paris Awesome, if you are a fan

The audio is phenomenal, the cuts however are unnecessarily fast and jumpy, really takes away from the great stage performance. Still very much worth the money for the audio alone.

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Rogue One Pretty good/10

Yeah, I know, late to the party. Rented it on Amazon over the weekend. I can leave or take Star Wars, but this was a pretty good film! Definitely the best in my opinion. The grittiness (but not too gritty!) is a nice change of pace, and the ending was well done.

8. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Finally got down to The Magnificent Seven. Solid 6/10, mostly entertaining, with a couple of janky bits. Plus the female lead (if she can be called that), is SERIOUSLY cute.

9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

decent but it felt more of a coming of age movie then a journey through the city, also not enough Cibo for my tastes.

10. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

John Wick chapter 2 9/10

Brilliant gunplay and a brilliantly tense ending, Roll on chapter 3
    a ****in pencil!

11. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Logan Captain Jean Luc Picard drops F-bombs/10 (7/10)

I had very high expectations for this film and was a little disappointed, but that's not to say it was a bad movie by any stretch. Didn't like the OTT use of bad language as it felt very far removed from the established Marvel universe, but I suppose it (and the similarly OTT gore) helped ground the gritty, no-BS delivery of the film's message. Jackman's acting was utterly superb, but IMO it's still just another recycled Hollywood "rescue" storyline.

Suicide Squad 6/10

Happy to buck the trend and score this reasonably well, because with no expectations I actually enjoyed it. Yes, there are big misgivings and it's riddled with holes like Swiss cheese, but it's an enjoyable romp with some really nice action scenes and great VFX - just what you'd want from a movie of this genre. Somehow I feel the need to rewatch Sucker Punch after seeing this just so I can decide if it's better or worse...

12. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

The only thing that surprised me about this movie was that I actually watched it all the way through, mediocre at best.

5/10

13. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge 7/10

It's getting tired, and it's running out of ideas but this was pretty enjoyable. Lots of action and imaginative scenes. It's a CGI fest, and that's alright. You kind of expect that. It's done pretty well and some of the effects can be pretty creepy. Johnny Depp is really back on form as Jack Sparrow; On Stranger tides he wasn't amazing, but he was really putting his big game on this time. He was entertaining, funny and even though the plot isn't really about him, he really steals the spotlight still.

I liked the Villain; there's a lot of moral issues about who is the hero and who is the real villain in here, because it isn't really clear. Pirates are technically the bad guys, after all.

Now, it's completely open for another film, but I don't know what they'll do; the plot of this film does wrap a lot of the loose ends up.

14. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Exactly this, disappointing if I was paying for tickets, thank you Limitless

15. Xir

Xir Modder

Skiptrace - 4/10

This could have been another succes like the Rush Hour- or the Shang-High series.
    The setup is there, and the story....well, to be honest, the stories in these movies weren't particularly great either. :D
    Alas, Johnny Knoxville is no Owen Wilson and can't talk like Tucker, and especially the director was sub-par compared to even the weakest of the other films.
    The action is as you'd expect with Jacky Chan, and Knoxville gets knocked around a lot, but the movie is cut in a strange way, loses suspense over and over again and just isn't funny enough.

a shame. :eyebrow:

16. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

John Wick 2. Thought it was excellent. 9/10.

17. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Lego Batman 6.5/10

some good humorous moments but where as the original Lego movie was based around a child's imagination here there is little reason for anything to exist in its plot other then "it does" I don't know i cant quite describe it. pretty entertaining but I probably wouldn't bother with a repeat viewing.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

John Wick 2 6.5/10, with 10/10 moment "Mr Wick doesn't remember but we met many years ago" LOOL in the Matrix, eh, Morphius? :D

Generally speaking though this movie series needs a super cut of all the excellent action as the "story" is entirely superfluous and Keanu can't ever act. I struggled to finish it.

19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It's pure fantasy really. I mean
    That bit at the end where basically every one around him is an assassin is a bit daft likes.

The fact he also seems to be able to walk the streets murdering with impunity is also incredibly fishy..

But I think that's the whole point man. I liked it :) nowhere near as much as the first which is why I gave it a 9 and not a 10 but the first one was a real breath of fresh air in a movie world that smegs of wet farts really.

20. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I thought that scene was meant to demonstrate Wick's state of paranoia and fear. Any one of those people could be out to get him, or they could be looking at him because he was a man in a suit covered in blood running a city park, which would make you look. The point was Wick had no way to tell, so suddenly he has to be afraid of everyone.