1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It was just 30 minutes too long. The whole end could have been cut to a phone call.

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

ARGH! never noticed that till you said, but wasn't it the whole stabbing thing?

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Logan unsure/10
    This left me feeling "meh".
    I liked that it was less fluffy than other super hero films.
    It didn't leave me in awe, though...
    Maybe it's because I am not a huge comic book fan. I would have liked it darker, in quite a few ways.

4. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I felt the same, the start seemed to drag for me but I appreciated the "world" they had created and the emotional impact seeing the characters down the line. I think as well Wolverine films leave you expecting certain things from the action scenes. Logan's are different. Partly I'm fed up with scenes getting cut to death and feeling too tight.

Hopefully there will be a prequel of similar tone that helps fill back story. Unfortunately they may have fleshed it out enough/too much to justify a prequel.

5. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I liked it... X-Men all growed-up!

What I didn't like was promising my son(9) he could watch it before I'd sussed what it was like. Was a shock to see Prof X effing and jeffing, perfectly contextual though it was.

Will be interesting to see if/how they take this forward... given the ending.

6. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Ghost In The Shell 7.5/10

I liked this a lot. First of all, I think ScarJo is great in these kinds of roles, the sci-fi action type. Having read the manga and watched the animated movies and series, I felt like they did the GiTS universe justice with this adaptation.

My only issue was that although they were adapting the storyline from Stand Alone Complex - 2nd Gig, they inserted some scenes from the Puppet Master. Though I get why they did it, they were some iconic and easily recognisable scenes for people familiar with the series. I also thought it was weird when she referred to herself as Major instead of The Major, when it's supposed to be her rank.

Generally I found it enjoyable as a fan of the series and I think it served as a great introduction of the character of Motoko Kusanagi to live action film. I hope they make many more sequels with this level of quality for the rest of the storylines, with more focus on Motoko's crew and hopefully a soundtrack from Yokko Kano at some point.

7. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

I liked it much more than I was expecting given the less than stellar reviews, but it bombed at the box office so the likelihood of a sequel is slim to none.

8. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Yeah, that's a pity because I think a lot of it had to do with the bad press about whitewashing and then there are quite a few who simply don't like Scarlet Johanson's movies in general. In my opinion she was a great pick for the role. She acted well as the Major and she definitely looked the part, so from that point of view I consider it meritocracy more than whitewashing. With the movie turning out to be a box office failure, it renders moot the opinion that she was cast for her popularity.

Having said that, if they made a sequel I wouldn't be fussed if ScarJo reprised the role or not, as long as they can show the same sincerity as this adaptation.

9. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I think the only scene in it that I was genuinely disappointed with was the spider tank. Utterly paled in comparison to the original design and scene :(

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I watched the first 15 minutes of it and the pacing is ALL wrong. It's just so intense you can't focus on anything. It's really, really over the top and in your face.

11. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

After the opening musical number it does actually slow down a bit and develop a plot.

12. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Mine 7/10
    So the plot is somewhat thin here, and the story is quite slow.
    BUT I enjoyed this slow moving thriller (I suppose) with a somewhat phonebooth-y vibe to it.
    nothing spectacular, slow moving, but not terrible

13. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Wonder Woman ?/10

My wife & daughter went and saw Wonder Woman at the Leicester Square preview screening (Premiere with red carpet, stars etc. cancelled due to the Manchester incident).
    They enjoyed it, but were primarily there to spot my daughter, who was an extra in the railway station scene.
    I haven't seen it yet, as they only had 2 free VIP tickets.

Hoping to go soon, and get my daughter to point out her fleeting appearance!

14. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Lego Batman 6/10
    It's noisy and chaotic, which, in my books, makes it hard viewing. I had the same criticism about the original Lego movie, though.
    Other than that, the film was undoubtedly funny at times, but i just felt that the noise deducted SO much from the experience.

Life 8/10
    I enjoyed this.
    Yes, most of the plot is somewhat predictable, and yes, it's somewhat removed from what I would expect to happen in some ways, but overall, this is a good film.
    It's refreshing to see non-humanoid aliens for a change, and the film has distinct Alien vibes at times.

15. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Lego Batman 8/10
    As others have said, the first 20 minutes are paced in such a way as to induce a headache and i'm not surprised a few folk turned off. That said, after this it slows down and the plot develops really well. I think I may have enjoyed the story and character arc more in this than in the Lego Movie. Dealt with a lot more emotionally complex stuff for a kids film than I was anticipating!

16. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Wonder Woman -- Gal Gadot/10

Jesus, she's stupid hot.

The rest of the movie? average at best, which of course makes it the standout star of the DCCU so far. The middle was good, WW and the male lead were compelling for the most part, but there was just so much... random bumf. Music was weird. The first time you hear the WW theme on screen is a COMPLETELY wasted moment. Fight scenes were garbage (this applies to most of Hollywood, tbf). The villain was a complete letdown, and the entire denouement was a muddle.

Serious score - 6/10

The Justice League trailer that ran with the movie (at least here in India) was not very encouraging either. The problem with being a sucker for comic book/superhero stuff is that you often have to put up with crap like the stuff DC/WB are churning out. The MCU -- especially the TV shows -- is far superior.

17. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Shouldn't it be Lobster Thermadore/10?

Pacing initially is a bit much could easily ramp it down but I think its just to go balls in an get the kids all hyped up. To be honest the majority will be so high on sugar they will likely see it all in slow motion anyway.

18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I enjoyed it too, even though I found it terribly predictable.
    Agreed -
    the part where it employs a tool to cut through the glove was a seriously "holy sh!t" moment.

I'd give it a 6.5/10 - worth watching

19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Also - Jake Gyllenhaal is cast PERFECTLY for this, IMHO

20. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

That sounds awesome, congrats!