1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

John Wick - Noise Complaint? Noise Complaint.../10

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Dunkirk Stuka/10

With Johnny on the soundtrack which became more an more grating (mmm organs). Bar that sound an visual wise, stunning. The sound of the aircraft in IMAX was amazing hairs on the arms pricking up etc. Acting cant really find fault no one going over the top or being too wooden.
    Theres a bit I want to ask about because I was a bit miffed but I cant do spoiler tags anymore.

Did choke me up a bit but simply because thats how my great grandfather got back from France, I never met him but if it were not for the little boats I wouldn't be here today

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Sure you can...
    ... Insert -> Spoiler

...well you can, but they don't seem to work [paging @MLyons ]

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Wolf Children 8/10

one that's been on my list for a long time but I've never gotten around to watching, its a little slow in places but overall a very enjoyable film, even if the ending is a little predictable.

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - 7.5/10
    Honestly, this film has a more negative reputation than I see fit, for some reason.
    I think the key is that it's a gangster film (like almost all Guy Ritchie films), and not (as expected) a hero film.
    Expect Ritchie's quick, sometimes almost schizophrenic dialog, weird camera angles, and a healthy dose of ignoring the source material, and you'll be golden. It even has some snatch-style humour in some places.

6. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Sword Master: 10/10

Found on Netflix, this martial arts movie features well written characters, a stunning story for what it is, amazing fights, and a love many-angled thing from the bottom of the Mandelbrot set (best way I can describe it, it's sure as hell not just a triangle.) Worth a rewatch once you know what's happening just to put the pieces together earlier.

Oh, and "night soil?" Poop.

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

Ghost in the Shell 8/10

Well I was pleasantly surprised by how good this film is. Perhaps avid fans of the original animation will not agree, but I thought that the film was extremely well done on all fronts, with Johansson doing a great job as Kusanagi. Even Batou grew on me (didn't like him at first).

8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Alien Covenant - Unsure/10
    Honestly, I am not sold on this. On the one hand, the film looks fantastic. The evolution bits shown are cool as well.
    On the other hand, some of the actual director-work is just disjointed and reminded me of Suicide Squad.
    It's clearly set up for another film, and very clearly expects that the viewer watched Prometheus fairly recently, and also kept abreast with the pre-release trailer bits and bobs.

9. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Hacksaw Ridge - Humbled/10

Can't beat a true story War film, loved the cast, just enough film to make me appreciate my comfy life!

10. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Firstly, it's not particularly true (also how the US army treated the guy in real-life is bloody awful).

Secondly, it's very much a movie that crams a lot of Christianity down your throat and gives Jesus the hard sell throughout (go figure considering the director)

Finally, the ending is just bad (just really very bad).

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

guardians of the galaxy 2 - 8/10

tbh I'm getting tired of comic book movies and whilst I don't follow them I occasionally sit down and watch one. I really quite enjoyed this and found myself laughing throughout.

12. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Speed Racer - good/perfect

I watched this for a laugh and was surprised to actually discover a good movie. Having just looked up a few reviews I'm also surprised by the negative reception considering I found it to be, in any case, one of the most accurate live-action adaptations of a cheezy cartoon series and worthy of praise just for that.

The most noticeable thing are the absolutely crazy visuals, often wonderfully garish and awful in an almost 90's HTML website kind of way. At the end, I wasn't surprised to find Industrial Light and Magic, the guys also responsible for the robot CGI in the Transformer movies, in the credits. If there's one negative thing I can say about the movie, it's that the whole visual spectacle can be a bit overwhelming, almost nauseating during some of the racing scenes. At its best it's the famous car chase in Lupin 3: Castle of Cagliostro on steroids LSD, at its worst it's just a disorienting whirlwind of shapes and colors (like Transformers CGI). I'm glad I didn't watch it on a big screen.

The movie is fully aware of the inherent cheesiness of the Speed Racer concept and completely indulges in it. Some of the acting is hilariously wooden and the cinematography is often very, very clichéd (does some clever things with those cliché techniques though). Something fun I noticed throughout the film was all the funky lens bokeh, with squares, rectangles, diamonds and heart-shapes.

It's such a refreshingly simple movie. At no point does it try to be overly clever, put a dark, edgy twist on things or provide some kind of insight in the human condition. It doesn't ever pretend to be something it's not. It's a movie about racing, about fun and at times also about a bit of genuine warmth (having John Goodman helps).

The biggest compliment I can give is that its careless, happy vibe reminded me of Porco Rosso, which is one of my favorite films.

Last edited: 8 Aug 2017
    stonedsurd likes this.
  13. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Dr Strange - motion sickness/10

Cumberbatch was an inspired bit of casting, right up there with RDJ as the perfect Stark imo, but it was just a visual jack-off from the CGI team... Which is a shame, because the bits that weren't done with a green screen (or anything that was done with physical actors and/or set) was much more enjoyable.

Also, another Marvel film with a villain no-one will ever remember...

Speaking of which!

X-Men: Apocalypse - Quicksilver/10

Shaky start, with very generic "these are the characters, relate to dem!" introductions, but picks up when Apoc gets moving. But to be quite frank, anything that happened before or after Quicksilver's mansion rescue scene was just not worth mentioning. One of the best scenes in comic book movie history and an actual step-up from his scene in DoFP.

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Atomic Blonde - OMG the blood!/10

Set in Berlin during the week the Wall came down, so epic soundtrack, but very, very bloody for a 15 cert.

15. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

I slogged through the movie on the weekend, I'd not recommend it unfortunately. If I'd have to give it a number I'd rate it a 3 or 4 out of 10.

The opening CGI sequence was dreadful, but the great 'Viking' scene introcuding the character of Arthur gave me hope. If the movie would have continued in this fast, unreliable and humorous fashion it would have been golden.* Unfortunately it didn't. I found KA:Lots incredibly cliche and predictionable.

The biggest flaw however is that the movie does not make you care for the characters. When this one guy on the boat was killed by Jude Law I was wondering who this guy was and why I should care. The little drama that is in the movie really didn't connect with me as the viewer. Not caring about the characters or the story left me bored most of the time so that the humour was lost on me as well.

*This scene reminded me of Samurai Champloo, one of my favorite animes. While the series is set in feudal Japan it uses hip-hop music and and is cut quite fast for an anime. A historic movie cut like a modern music video can work just fine, but KA:Lots didn't.

Still not as bad as The Dark Tower though: 0/10

Nikolaj Arcel and Akiva Goldsman took a beloved series for mature audiences about a fanatic man searching for his Tower and turned it into a Young Adult movie about a boy who doesn't feel like he belongs. It's a disrespectful, illogical and unneeded piece of sh*t cashgrab with no redeeming qualities that burns yet another King property for the next decade.

16. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Netflix Series - Ozark - 8/10

Great series starring jason bateman as a money launderer for the Mexican Drug Cartel who failed in his duties and is given one more chance by moving to the Lake of the Ozarks, that during the summer is overflowing with drunk, money loose tourists. His objective to Launder 50 million over 5 years doesn't work out as well as he hoped once he becomes attached to the small community. There's a lot of overshadowed side plots, some of which don't work out, but the core plot is solid and it's pretty dang dark.

17. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Assassin's Creed - Meh/10
    I wasn't disappointed because I knew it was going to be meh/10, and it was a freebie google play rental that I didn't want to waste on something I might want to watch more than once. When it's a video game I don't mind that there's a hokey premise that never gets the slightest bit of explanation or it's hokiness is ever called into question, but when it's a movie, it just doesn't work for me. Generally, about as engaging as watching someone play assassin's creed for two hours. That is to say, not at all.

Passengers - Surprising/10
    I liked this movie a lot more than I thought I would, as did the Mrs. It has everything - peril, romance, comedy, frickin' laser beams... Rather excellent IMHO.

Gangs of New York - Why have I never watched this/10
    Finally watched it 15 years late. I've even had the film for several years, and have nearly watched it many times since I've had it, but either decided it was heavier viewing than I wanted at that particular time, or it was at such an hour that a 3hr movie was incompatible with a school night. Excellent, Obviously. Day-Lewis is a legend generally. What surprised me most though was that Cameron Diaz does not a half-bad impression of a real actress.

Patriot (Amazon Series) - my favourite new show of the year/10
    Delightfully dark, bleak and hilarious. Love it.

Last edited: 11 Aug 2017
  18. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Dunkirk

My sleeper hit of the year. Had little to no interest in it to be honest but it is pretty much spot on.
    The star is 100% the audio though,. Go see it in the cinema, I suspect it may suffer from home viewing lacking the oomph of cinema sound.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  19. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

The Craft 9/10

One of my favourite fantasy horror films. Not everyone's cup of tea but I've watched it several times and it never gets old. Worth checking if you haven't seen it before and the genre floats your boat.

20. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Alien: Covenant - Just stop it already/10

You know, I remember when the prospect of watching an Alien movie filled me with this great premonition. The knowledge that these next two hours will be spent with me on the edge of my sofa, and enjoying a mixed feeling of deep dread, exhaustion (at the end) and that immersion the original two movies could bring. This one did nothing of that. Sure, the visuals are lovely, and the score is excellent, but the movie? The characters? The story? Meh. I spent more time fiddling with my phone than I did actually paying attention. Now the original two movies however I can't tear my eyes away from ... and I even enjoyed Prometheus. This one, it just seems like all the negative press Prometheus received convinced Scott to drastically change everything he had planned. David had Elizabeth killed to breed the Xenos? Really? They couldn't convince Noomi Rapace to come back for a second movie? WTF happened?

Guardians of the Galaxy vol.2 - 9/10

Everything I expect from a Marvel movie.