1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. adidan

adidan Avatar is nearly back in season.

Ghost In The Shell - A tad predictable but fun/10

You pretty knew from the getgo how the story would go but I found it enjoyable nonetheless.

That may have just been the Scarlett effect on me though.

2. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Black Panther - 7/10

Another mildly enjoyable Marvel film setting up the next ensemble - I miss Phase 1.

Saw it in IMAX 3D as it was the only convenient showing - will go back to non-3D showings again thanks very much.

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Star Trek First Contact - 8.5/10

Still arguably the best star trek film made even tho I personally think the Enterprise E lacks the soul of the Enterprise D.

LennyRhys likes this.
  4. BigAde2072

BigAde2072 New Member

Many people will make a good case for Wrath of Khan but I'd still say that First Contact is the better.

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Agreed. IMO it's even better if you first watch TNG episodes where Picard was captured by the Borg (end of S3, start of S4).

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Not movie but.. Netflix

Dirk Gently S1: Wut, then this is crap, then OK ill keep watching. Strangely addictive / 10. It flip flops for a few episodes at the start but manages to keep my attention. Dirk Gently is OTT on the quirky Brit, though.
    Altered Carbon: Gratuitous nudity / 10. In opposite of the above it was full on pace for the first few episodes then it's petered out mid-season so far.

Looking forward to watching Mute very soon, but I need to finish Death of Stalin and McLaren docu first.

Then two movies later they followed with Nemesis and killed any chance of Star Trek for the next 10 years. We could have had a DS9 movie, instead we got that.

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Including William Shatner, who is currently doing a US tour of "Wrath of Khan" showings with him doing a Q&A afterwards.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Unfortunately Shat has become a one-trick pony, riding the ST to death. All his stuff now is moansome.

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Given pretty much everyone he's ever worked with wants to punch his head off, hardly surprising he's milking the only thing that still generates him any good will.

and First Contact > Wrath of Khan [imo].

Guest-16 likes this.
  10. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Justice League - go home, you're drunk/10

Honestly, even with low expectations (after BvS and Suicide Squad, and not having seen Wonder Woman yet, where else could they be?) this was just painful... I mean, actual physical cringing in places - and I'm watching it by myself!

It's a comic book movie I'd be EMBARRASSED to show a non-comic book fan. Whoever is in charge of the DCEU just needs to fire everybody, go watch a few more recent Marvel films, take some notes and start over.

I would put BvS, SS and JL right up there with the Star Wars prequels in terms of script writing, filmography and just wonky looking effects.

Maybe they just seem bad compared to recent Marvel films, or even the ones that came out around the same timeframes, but damn... You have to go a long way to make me hate a movie, I mean really resent the people involved for watching the final cut and saying "yep, that's good enough", but I hope those abominations give the creators nightmares for a long time.

Also

Black Panther - 8/10

Solid in every regard, really. Not my favourite Marvel film, I didn't really gel with Killmonger as a villain, but unlike the previously mentioned films you can't say it didn't have focus, a distinct tone, balanced pacing, proper supporting characters and you know, FEEL LIKE A COMIC BOOK MOVIE.

Looking forward to Infinity War, but I need to see Thor and Spiderman first!

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Planet Earth II 11/10

I'm late to the party and I don't think we have a topic for TV series but...holy ****ing ****, what a series. composition, sound, pacing, everything is so completely and utterly on point its staggering. the BR/DTS release is nothing short of a goddamn technical masterpiece.

Guest-16 likes this.
  12. yuusou

yuusou Well-Known Member

The Shape of Water 10/10
    It's really good, time-period appropriate acting. Definitely worth a watch, has a little bit for every adult, those that like romance and those that like a bit of gore.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Go take your PC, save the world because it's so beautiful attitude back to Facebook. Yeeeeesh

;) XD

14. Yaka

Yaka Well-Known Member

transformers: age of extinction : 5/10 tbh a fun movie if you are not expecting much try not think so hard about the old 80s series. sadly watching citys behing destroyed is getting ever so boring now.

Justice league. 5/10 ok in places but thats all hard to belive this movie has nolan on as producer but be soo much meh. batman/superman so much awesomeness from various story arcs and they still mess it up. if they are/were gonna do a dark movie then do a dark themed movie not a mish mash thats also trying hard to match mcu

Coco 8/10 enjoyable pixar film not thier greatest but still very good and watchable.

Elysium 7/10 been on my watch list for a while while not a brilliant film its well paced and not too much within its self for a sci-fi film

Last edited: 4 Mar 2018
  15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Justice League - 6.5/10

Honestly, it probably helped that I am really over super hero films, that BvS was terrible in hindsight, and that the hype about this film was all negative.
    I found it a perfectly good film. Nothing special at all, but not the nasty accident that, say, Suicide Squad was.

16. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Spectral - 8.5/10

Netflix has been really hitting it out of the park with its original films, I walked into Spectral blind other than knowing it was a sci-fi film and holy **** was I impressed, brilliant visual design, CGI and a surprisingly original sci-fi plot, thoroughly enjoyable, If you enjoyed Bright, you should get on well with this.

LennyRhys likes this.
  17. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Sounds awesome. I did like Bright (a lot, actually, considering how low my expectations were), so I look forward to sitting down with Spectral this evening when my wife's out with her pals. :D

18. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

Finding Your Feet - Sore Eyes/10

Has a lot of genuinely funny moments in the typical 'this is a British Comedy' way. But, don't go see this if you're caring for anyone with dementia, I went with my mum and she basically spent half the film in a flood of tears, as did I.

19. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Well-Known Member

Wonder Woman.
    I wonder how they keep the franchise alive / 10

20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Star wars the last jedi 6.5/10

Jesus that was long. Good but imo too long.