1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Pacific Rim: Uprising - 7/10

Better than I'd thought it would be. The plot twist was telegraphed in the first movie, but no-one noticed.

Trololol - Not this post, in the movie!

Last edited: 6 Apr 2018
  2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Justice League 6/10

Not nearly as bad as I was expecting, but that's probably because some of it was actually OK. But yea some of it was utterly dreadful as well - it seems that most of the visual effects and concept designs were sourced from fiverr (excepting the ones that were plagiarised from Marvel movies).

3. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Paddington 2, 8/10 nice and funny film, kids enjoyed it.

Rush 8/10 was keeping away from it as well i was not expecting it to be as good as people say but enjoyed it.

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Mad Max Fury Road: Black and Chrome edition - holy **** that was cool/10

the lack of colour detail really does highlight the values and form of millers directing, deffo worth a watch if you liked the film a lot.

5. Xir

Xir Modder

Vikings Season 4 - 6/10

Consisting of 20 episodes, or a part one and a part two of 10 episodes each, the first ten are a lot more captivating than the second.

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Ready Player One - 8/10

Pretty good for a movie that's 95% cameos.

7. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

The Hitman's Bodyguard - 7/10

Ended up watching this on Netflix with the wife for a quiet night in. Seems to hit the mark for what it was attempting - a kind of humorous Bourne. You know what you're going to get with S.L. Jackson and Ryan Reynold together, and their interaction kept me reasonably entertained throughout. Disengage your reality filter, of course, and it never disguises what is going to happen next, but keeps the action going smoothly.
    Be prepared for a huge amount of wrecked cars and body count in the Rambo region - and not the first Rambo either...

Maybe it's a sign of me getting older, but I've found more and more that I'd much rather watch this type of movie for an action title than the superhero action I used to enjoy. Perhaps I'm growing tired of all the CGI, or the comic based films are too much the same.

8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Superhero movies have become this generation's Western, they all have the same cinematography, plot structure, characters and soundtracks. Something that looks and sounds diferent stands out (Deadpool/Logan) but for the msot part one movie could e another and it is getting boring.

I wonder if after Infinity War the bottom will fall out of Marvel movies, they're certainly creaking under their own plot now the way the comics do.

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I enjoyed that film, and the excessive use of the phrase 'mother ****er'. I am concerned, though, that Reynolds is sliding into Johnny Depp/Jack Sparrow territory with Deadpool.

10. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

The China Syndrome 5/10
    Watched this yesterday after really liking the atmosphere in this scene on YouTube. Didn't bother to look up anything else about the film. Unfortunately, as I found out, it's actually by far the best bit of the movie.
    The bad guys are your bog standard Aliens-tier cartoony corporate villains and the good guys are of course on the complete other end of the spectrum, self-sacrificing brave journalists who only care about exposing The Truth. Michael Douglas in particular comes across as a complete sanctimonious asshat every second he is on screen. The ending is stupid, and at no point does the movie ever get close again to that tension in the turbine trip scene.
    I did like some of the dialog though. It stood out as very natural, like real people would talk in a newsroom, a TV set etc.

11. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

The Last Jedi
    I fell asleep / 10

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Alien Covenant: No/10
    Just let it die, Scott. Just let it die. As for the BIG DRAMATIC TWIST,
    I saw that coming the minute we didn't see the end of the fight
    . Oh, and
    why does the Alien implanted from the facehugger - i.e. a Classic Xenomorph straight up, not the ones implanted from Quite Obviously Puffball Mushrooms Don't Poke It WHY ARE YOU POKING IT YOU IDIOT - come out not as a chestburster but as a tiny version of the adult Xenomorph form? It's got arms and legs!

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets: Annoying/10
    OH MY GOD VALERIAN CAN YOU STOP BEING A DICK FOR FIVE GODDAMN MINUTES YOU ABSOLUTE WAZZOCK?

Wonder Woman: War/10
    Got to admit, I didn't spot the twist on this one. It all felt a little forced, though, and I don't think Gal Godot was the right choice for the part.

The Killing Joke: Book/10
    I don't know what I was expecting: it's literally people reading the book combined with moving versions of the pictures. Can't fault the casting, mind you.

Last edited: 16 Apr 2018
  13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Disagree here, Gal was good, but the sooner Chris Pine's 'acting' career decides to take a nosedive the better.

14. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I thought Gal was OK - not going to set the world on fire, but solid.
    That said - I still maintain that the film would be better WITHOUT the last 15 minutes or so.

on topic, not a movie, but the series:

Lost in Space (2018 Netflix) - 7.5/10

It looks great (if somewhat The Martian inspired), the casting is solid (Toby Stephens being a fave of mine does help).
    The plot is a bit predictable (but that was to be expected), and at times it feels a tiny bit long winded, but this is a good go at space adventure. Thoroughly enjoyable.

15. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Watched this over the weekend too, and just like Prometheus, I'm completely torn. I love the universe and the lore, but it just seems like it's getting completely and utterly twisted around itself now - the timeline, especially with references to little bits and pieces that aren't main plot lines, is getting more and more muddled in terms of the Xenomorph "perfect form".

And like Prometheus, it appears that all that is required to become a high ranking member of staff on an expensive/important ship, is the ability to make COMPLETELY STUPID DECISIONS AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY.

I am very interested in how they are going to tie these into the main franchise, and explain the sudden downgrade in tech, but I suspect we'll all be suffering from Transformers Syndrome by then.

Last edited: 16 Apr 2018
  16. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Except it's not? How long ago did you read Killing Joke?

17. legoman

legoman breaker of things

With you on the scoring and the "long winded"

Im at the stage where some of them know Dr Smith isn't Dr Smith an shes managed to wake up the robot head.

18. liratheal

Star Wars - The Last Jedi: 7/10

Eh. It was Star Wars. With better effects because time. It made me want to build a light saber. The furry puffins without beaks weren't as obnoxious as I'd expected.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Once, a long, long time ago - and at several times throughout the film I thought "hey, I recognise that." If it wasn't a blow-for-blow retelling, then it certainly hit the high points - I can't think of anything I remember from the book that I didn't see in the film (but a few things from the film I don't remember from the book.)

20. liratheal

I think that's the problem with the animated Killing Joke - The things that were in it that weren't in the source material. I've drunk to blackout more than once since seeing that, though, so I've forgotten most of them.