Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

This, basically. The stuff that made TKJ animated bad were the parts that diverged from the book.

2. cowtc

cowtc Member

Suicide Squad - Hell to Pay (2018)
    This really surprised me! I've seen the previous animations e.g. Justice League Dark, Teen Titans but they are no way near as entertaining or brutal as this. It's like they created an adult version compared to the previous animations that now includes violence, real death and gore.
    Highly recommended. I'd say that you could watch this as a standalone film i.e. you don't need to have watched previous animated movies

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Absolutely this. Look at the Best Aliens: dude feels pretty confident in sticking his face over the egg 'cos he's wearing a sealed spacesuit with whackin' gert helmet (which fails to protect him, but he didn't know that until it was too late); dude feels pretty confident in sticking his face over the egg 'cos he's just some random colonist who has had no training in Not Sticking Your Face Over Weird Alien Eggs 101. The Worst Aliens: "hey, this place is weird, think I'll take my protective equipment off and CHUFFIN' POKE THINGS," with a side-order of "well, if the creepy android dude who may or may not have just contributed directly to the death of one or more of my crew members says it's safe, then who am I to argue?"

Despite what I'm assuming is higher budgets, the world-building feels weaker as well - possibly 'cos from Prometheus onwards Scott's been concentrating less on humans with cool stuff versus inexplicable alien killing machine over the course of a day or two and more on woo ancient precursors seeding the galaxy over billions of years LOOK HOW VAST MY VISION IS I TOTALLY DIDN'T COAST ON GIGER'S TALENT GUYS. It's visible even with the equipment, which I think you referenced vis-a-vis the tech downgrade: in Aliens the Colonial Marines get the awesome Armat M41A Pulse Rifle, painstakingly crafted from a .45 ACP Tommy Gun and bits from a pair of different shotguns plus a shedload of plastic and fibreglass to create something truly original; in Alien: Covenant they get... pretty much off-the-shelf AR-15s and Thales F90s with extensions to hide the barrels.

4. David

David RIP Tel

I'm a whole 3 minutes in and already my pedantry is getting in the way of my enjoyment - the altitude sensor on the ship is in metres but the computer voice announces the same number in feet. :geek:

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I feel like all the wrong people get employed for continuity on some films. And perhaps aren't as involved as they should be.

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

You're assuming anyone making Alien films cares about continuity. Ridley Scott certainly doesn't, Covenant is essentially a 2 hour temper tantrum directed at everyone who questioned or didn't like Prometheus. Not that it matters, the Dark Horse comic series is the definitive sequel to Aliens and nothing anyone can do will change my mind about it. Not that Aliens actually needed any kind of sequel to begin with.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Alien Covenant... The sequel no-one wanted to the origin story no-one asked for...

Gareth Halfacree and David like this.
  8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

You should switch your pedantry off. :p

David likes this.
  9. adidan

adidan Avatar is back out of season.

Yeah but that's reality mate!

Remember when NASA lost the Mars Climate Orbiter because of an imperial/metric mess up? :D

I'll give it a watch at the weekend and try and watch it as being nothing to do with Alien, I actually quite enjoyed Prometheus when I viewed it as a complete standalone-never heard of Ripley or space egg-movie.

David likes this.
  10. David

David RIP Tel

Hard-wired and no off switch, I'm afraid.

Arboreal and adidan like this.