1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Replicas - 6/10

Odd one this, set close to present drags in bits of minority report and iRobot etc. Keanu playing a non shooty roles just wrong now for me he has genuine firearms skills. Overall not badly acted and shot, just felt like it never really lived up to its potential

2. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Constantine: city of demons 7/10 fairly close to orignal source with the odd tweak here and there im sure ir ead some where this was suppose to be a continuation of the short lived Constantine live action series. even has the same actor voicing the lead but it defiantly is not.

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Constantine is now a series regular on Arrow spin-off "DC's Legends of Tomorrow". I think what you watched is supposed to bridge the gap.

4. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

altho i am way behind on arrow and Lot, i am pretty sure its not as the back story with chas is different and the aftermath is different

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Bird Box - pining for the fjords /10
    Sandra Bullocks upper lip had a bit of a stiff performance.:worried: Was ok, not great, everything nicely signposted for the no so bright, not even particularly new.
    It's basically The Happening with blindfolds

The Fundamentals of Caring - 8/10
    Surprisingly enjoyable, really funny, definitely worth a watch.

Last edited: 31 Dec 2018
    LennyRhys likes this.
  6. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

disneys's Jungle book (2016) 7/10 was expecting this to be far worse than it was. but did notice a few of the animals lips wernt in synch not sure what the budget was on this but woulda thought disney be on the ball on this. will be interesting to compare it do netflix's mowgli this weekend

7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Mary Poppins Returns - The Edge of the Bowl!/10

Fine, perfectly adequate in every way. Just as trippy as the original, just as light hearted and Disney cranked out some old style hand drawn animation, which they should do more of. Although the the 1930s bicycles turning into modern BMXs and back in rapid succession was a little distracting, assuming you notice that kind of thing.

Kung Fu Panda 3 - Take it, I have a biger one/10

Better than expected, but Kung Fu Panda 2 is definitely the best of the three.

Yaka likes this.
  8. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Cleverly done, and a thoughtful follow on from the original. Apparently they asked Julie Andrews to appear in it, but she said that she wouldn't want to upstage Emily Blunt...
    Also thought it was funny seeing the brilliant Julie Walters as a housekeeper again, they must have seen her in Paddington and wanted the same!

I also noticed the tradesmen's bikes morphing into something more dynamic and back; odd and entertaining at the same time.
    Glad they used the old style animation, as that was a great link to the original.

Yaka likes this.
  9. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

thats good to hear been wanting to watch it but its a bit of faff trying to get my boys to come with me and watch it even though they liked the orignal:/

pele: birth of a legend 6/10 not sure why this has been panned so much, a decent film, was suprised the film focused so much on ginga on the 2nd half. and prolly woulda been better as mini series as it did zoom past certain events

Last edited: 3 Jan 2019
  10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

You (Netflix Series) 9/10

Binge-watched this yesterday and it's absolutely brilliant. I was planning to watch a movie but this was recommended so I gave it a shot and (as it happens) I couldn't stop watching. It bears some resemblance to other franchises and movies, but it's original enough to stand out from the crowd.
    The ending is more than a little annoying, but I guess it makes sense that Beck should die otherwise his creepiness loses its potency. I found the last two episodes particularly engaging because it's really difficult to predict what will happen, which is not helped by white knight Joe running to the aid of his neighbour's kid whilst also being a narcissistic, sociopathic creep.

maxlxyd likes this.
  11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Tully - Cameron Howe/10

's alright. Interesting that Theron looks a lot better in the face when she's put a few pounds on.

We actually watched half last night, half the night before. After the first half, which ends with the Sexy Waitress Time scene, I predicted that it'd go Fight Club. Sure enough, it went Fight Club.

12. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

The Favourite - 7/10
    Nice story, great characters especially character development.

Argo - 8/10
    Just really good. The story is awesome, the mix between actual photos and videos from the past and film scenes was really well done. Cast was really good too.

13. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

A Wrinkle in Time
    Burn it with fire / 10

14. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Big Hero 6 9/10
    Absolutely loved it. Really pulls on the heart strings at times, and the animation is PHE-NO-ME-NAL. If the character designs were more original it'd probably have topped out at 10.

Dexter (Season 1) 9/10
    Great stuff. Pretty grim, but the CSI side of things is very well done and develops at a great pace, full of suspense. I had a massive "OH NO YOU CHUFFING DON'T!!" moment when they hinted who the serial killer is, and it was nice to have a couple of narrative threads being weaved around the main plot too. Probably won't watch any more, but that's mainly 'cos I have other stuff to watch!

15. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

They are much better than the Marvel comic they're based on, which is so 90s that a pair of tiny round sunglasses appear on your face should you ever buy a copy.

16. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

You should continue, at least up to and including season 7, it's fantastic.

17. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Dune - terrible
    What a mess, and not even a good kind of mess. I know this one was received badly when it came out but it still managed to disappoint. I was secretly hoping for a diamond in the rough, but it's definitely not that.

I guess the costume and environment artists did a good job but other than that there's pretty much nothing redeemable about this movie.
    It feels like a book adaptation made by a child. It starts out incredibly slow, spending inordinate amounts of time on the most insignificant plot details, only to speed up to an almost comical degree at the end because the final third still needs to cover 4/5ths of the story. The music is just cringeworthy, the acting is wooden and horrible (Kyle MacLachlan in particular) and some the lines are so awkwardly written and delivered they're almost quoteworthy.
    What. A. Mess.
    Does make me want to reread the (first) books though.

Actually the single best about Dune has to be this anecdote by Jodorowsky:

18. Pliqu3011

The Sweatbox - 8/10
    A documentary about the very long and arduous creation process of what would ultimately become The Emperor's New Groove.
    Very raw, you really feel for the animators who put their heart and soul into characters that get thrown out in a 15 min meeting halfway production. Sting too was clearly not amused to hear over the phone that the whole story had suddenly changed and all of the song's he'd written and recorded would basically have to be scrapped.

I love The Emperor's New Groove as it is (a top 3 Disney film IMO), but the original epic scale "Kingdom of the Sun" concept involving more mythology and mysticism, multiple interweaving storylines and a more serious tone sounded pretty amazing. I wonder how it would've turned out if Disney higher-ups hadn't forced a drastic streamlining because the project was moving so slow.

LennyRhys likes this.
  19. Pliqu3011

Roar - 6/10
    Barely feels like a movie at all. Storywise nothing happens, there's no arc or acts or structure or anything, just stuff happening on the screen. It is really, really tense though, especially if you've read the wikipedia page first (or already happen to know why this movie is so notorious).
    In fact this has to be about the only film where I highly recommend a few spoilers before watching, as it will definitely change your viewing experience:
    Recommended to watch with friends (as I did). You'll be yelling at the TV, guaranteed.

Last edited: 11 Jan 2019
  20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Ralph Breaks the Internet - 7/10

It was what you'd expect. Intertubes based shenanigans with a heartwarming moment or six. Some of the references were particularly funny.