1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I think streaming services are so desperate for a 'killer show' that they just don't give a **** about what they green light. Great for some projects getting a little limelight that they might not otherwise, but those don't attract the kind of people who could navigate the show to finding its legs quickly enough that it doesn't die in ignominy.

And yet, somehow, Army of the Dead pleased someone enough that there's a prequel in the works? Like.. Why? Who gives a **** about pre-zombies times in that universe? Sure as **** don't need any more of about all of the characters in the film, that's for sure.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised to see an adaptation of Battle Pope hit Netflix at some stage.

Pete J likes this.
  2. ModSquid

ModSquid Modder

Nice. I assume you'll have Fist of the North Star in there somewhere in that case.
    Just in case you're into niche kung-fu films as well, I was after the title of one I saw many years ago that I can't remember, where the end scene is a big fight in which the good/bad dudes keep trying to stack/remove a huge pile of chairs and other assorted furniture atop which a young lady is hanging by a noose. The good chap obviously wants to keep the pile supported and the bad dude is trying to kick it (and the good dude) apart at the same time. Any idea??

Definitely agree here. It seems that most of this fare starts out fairly strong and then you can almost hear the crew snoring by the end. The Chris Hemsworth Netflix one was possibly an exception, but most others seem to either wrap up with non-explainable/believable plot devices, or just drift off into inanity as if they're filling the time. I did however have the TV to myself this weekend and wasted it by watching:

Hostel 3 - 4/10. Come for the face peel, leave afterwards.

The Social Network - 6/10. Interesting on the basis I didn't really know the detail behind Wasteofspacebook's inception, but heavily romanticised.

Alien - 9/10. Still holds up after forty years.

Predator - 8/10. Same applies as for Alien (score allows for some slight "cheese" though (geddit?)).

Pete J, goldstar0011 and LennyRhys like this.
  3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

Yeah, I actually got it as an accompanying CD-ROM with an issue of Manga Max back in the late 90s. Now it's been a loooong time since I watched that one!

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Also heavily one-sided. I really like it, but a quick browse of the backstory reveals that it's based on Zuckerberg's jilted ex-friend's autobiographical whinge story about how Zuckerberg done him dirty. In reality it was more muddled and less unambiguously "Zuckerberg thief, other dude victim". The other dude was totally AWOL and uninvolved for months and months before they revised his investment in Facebook. The film generously depicts this as a period of time in which other dude was doing loads of heavy lifting in the background for Facebook and Zuckerberg was doing nothing - based on, as far as I could glean, no evidence at all. In reality he was just kinda useless at that point, and Zuckerberg and friends were carrying him for no reason.

I would like to clarify that I still think Zuckerberg is an android PoS and I dislike him a lot. But the founding of Facebook was not, as far as we know, the angsty Shakespearean betrayal depicted in The Social Network.

If anything it's getting better with age. The scenes of them frustratedly trying to coax out a useful answer from a huge, incomprehensible voice recognition based AI hivemind was, at the time, bizarre and abstract sci-fi speculation but is, in the 21st century, deeply relatable.

In hindsight it's creepily prescient, in fact. Sometimes after 3 or 4 times of Google Home just flat out refusing to understand basic requests, I yell "MOTHER, GOD DAMN YOU!"

Also,
    Black Widow - 6/10
    I agree with previous takes. It's so average. Individual chunks of the film are really good, but it doesn't gel at all. The final 20 minutes might as well belong to a different film. It's so tonally incoherent. The story makes sense on paper, in a written-by-committee way, but the film doesn't seem to know what it's about, or what it's trying to say.

It really smacks of a film cobbled together by several different departments in several different countries, which of course is exactly how the Marvel factory line works. This can result in a good film, but whether it does or not must depend on subtle and arcane factors that we laymen cannot see or predict, because I can never guess if one of these things is gonna be good or not.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2021
    Big Elf and Pete J like this.
  5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Darn tootin'. Also, leadership overriding perfectly reasonable concerns about a potential contagion and lifting quarantine restrictions for economic reasons only to have said contagion run rampant through the working class. WHAT DOES THAT REMIND ME OF?
    Hah! Now I'm disappointed in myself for never naming a server MU-TH-UR.

6. boiled_elephant

Muthur had an undisclosed backdoor for corporate to issue it secret instructions, so if you do name one after it, it better be running on Windows 10. Ho ho.

Byron C and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  7. Xir

Xir Modder

That said, the "Real" movie industry is also running out of movies...at least the rental places got next to nothing new since covid, and I'm rapidly running out of movies to watch. :grin:

Soul (2020) - 2/10
    Well, it's the latest Pixar, and the kids didn't like it, and the grown-ups were bored. :wallbash:
    One point for it beeing a pixar, one for the guts to tackle a topic like this.

Vratar galaktiki (Cosmoball) - 2/10
    So the english title actually makes mort sense, in German it's "Keepers of the Galaxy", which fueled a wrong expectation. I also mixed it up with "Zashchitniki (Guardians)" another Russian movie. (that translates to "Defenders" but hey.)
    So we wanted to make a SciFimovie, with lots of effects (Yeah!) Pretty russians (M/F) (Yeah!) Lots of wild aliens (Yeah!) then we'll cross in Tinkerbells Neverbeast (Yea....wait, what?) and it all revolves around....soccer! (errrrrr...)
    Hardly any humour in the movie, the plot's all over the place, the acting is.....poor at best. Some of the effect money should have gone to a scriptwriter!

Boss Level - (7/10)
    Oh, no! Another one of those "Mel Gibson needs the money movies" where he gets a tiny role but is the big face on the poster.
    But then, positive surprise!:
    Humour, action, entertainment, lots of unnecessary graphic violence.
    I was well entertained! (But the wife fell asleep, so one minuspoint for that)

8. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

I really enjoyed Soul but definitely don't think the kids got much from it. It hit on some fairly deep philosophical concepts that resonated with me but can totally see how it would be boring for a lot of viewers. Animation was superb but this is Pixar after all!

Flibblebot likes this.
  9. Xir

Xir Modder

I understand, but I don't think "fairly deep philosophical concepts" are a core concept at Pixar or Disney...though they're always at the heart of a good story.

Spraduke likes this.
  10. Xir

Xir Modder

Idiocracy - 6/10

I actually liked it, it's satire, and once you see it as that it's nice.
    I was alone in this opinion, i guess If you don't see it like that it's a 13-a-dozen fart-penis-toilet movie....:rollingeyes:

Pete J likes this.
  11. liratheal

Jungle Cruise 9/10

Dumb. Loved it. Casting was spot on, it didn't play and stupid cards trying to fox you apart from maaaybe The Rock's character's motivations, but it was fine.

Jesse Plemons was fantastic.

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I've heard it called "A prequel to Apocalypse Now" :rolleyes:

13. boiled_elephant

It's an 8/10 for me, people unconsciously rate comedy, satire and parody lower than 'serious' media because a generation of reviewers programmed them to think that way, but it's nothing more or less than a bias based on personal preference; the reality is, parody and satire are hard to do well, and when they're done badly they're really, really bad. A mediocre drama (e.g. Cold Mountain) is watchable but dull; a mediocre comedy (e.g. The Dictator) is painful because almost-comedy isn't funny at all. Ergo, comedy and satire are harder and more risky: you win big or you bomb. And it must be really hard to tell, in the midst of a comedy production, whether you're taking part in the next Life of Brian or the next Son of the Mask, so it's a huge risk for the actors as well.

Idiocracy is smashing, in my opinion. It's a pitch perfect satire of honkytonk white trash culture, and while some might say that that's "punching down" (the new buzzphrase to comdemn humour one doesn't like), the fact is, it needed satirizing. Just as Borat took shots at America's isolationist, individualist, selfish, judgemental, hyperdefensive, patriotic stiffness, Idiocracy takes shots at the American working class prejudice against intelligence, its pridefulness and egotism, its obsession with cults of personality and male bravado, and its veneration of bullheadedness and aggression. Raising a generation on beer, fast cars, female objectification and wrestling is going to have damaging consequences, even if all of those things are appealing and enjoyable.

Idiocracy was so timely. George W Bush Jr had recently been elected for a 2nd term. Climate change denial was through the roof. Mistrust of experts and scientists was rising. Westboro Baptist Church were making headlines, and a sizeable minority of Americans were sympathetic or tacitly supportive of their message. Creationist schools were successfully lobbying for their right to teach kids that Jesus rode dinosaurs. Feminism was an infighting shambles with no direction or energy left, and its mess was creating a masculinist backlash in American culture especially. The church of Scientology was in full swing, lawsuiting left and right and resorting to physical threats and harassment when that failed. Anti-intellectualism was in, rationality was out.

These things haven't exactly all solved themselves, but Idiocracy was the gut punch the culture of stupid needed right then. It has problems, of course. A big problem is that its premise is the "stupid people breed faster" myth, which is both factually incorrect and (in my opinion) unethical. Tory supporters roll this one out a lot as part of anti-benefits reasoning: "if we pay them to have kids, they'll just keep breeding!". (Owen Jones talks a lot about it in his book Chavs.) Even left-leaning libertarian comedian Bill Hicks once used it to feed into an anti-poor rhetoric. It's very fashionable as a concept: the poor getting out of hand, having too many kids, soaking up all the society's capital (when in reality they generate it). It dehumanizes the poor by treating them like a pest and measuring the extent to which they're a problem in terms of absolute population numbers: tolerate them if they don't get too numerous, but uh-oh, they're breeding like roaches! Same logic that's been used by countless reactionary anti-demographic-X movements throughout history.

So it is anti-poor on some level, and that's quite an ugly thing. But sometimes a demographic does need criticizing, and that point comes when they become so recklessly proud of their own worst traits that it's actively damaging to themselves and the wider society. Honkytonk culture defends obesity, alcoholism and violence, and even if it's "punching down" to make fun of them, maybe those values need punching down (metaphorical punches, metaphorical!).

And on a basic level of pure comedy, I find Idiocracy ****ing hilarious. Saying it's juvenile is kinda beside the point, I've noticed that everyone likes slightly different humour and they all dismiss the humour they don't like as "juvenile" or "immature". Everyone says this. So maybe all humour can be seen as juvenile - it is a juvenile thing to laugh, isn't it? Kids laugh before they can talk. That doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Dramas and tragedies probe the adult fears in us; comedies tickle the inner child's instincts for delight, ridicule and levity. Maybe we devalue comedy because we don't like to think of ourselves as childish, but I'd argue that both genres are doing equally important things. Laughter is therapy.

Satire and ridicule are also powerful social regulators. Steven Pinker, in Better Angels, describes how endless legislation and debate failed to halt the growing bloodshed of the cultural phenomenon of duelling, but a generational shift that saw the youth laughing at the older men, stomping out to point pistols at each other over minor slights, was enough to end the practise. They couldn't stand not being taken seriously.

If pointed laughter can actually end stupid, harmful, irrational practises like that, then films like Idiocracy are worth a lot more than this year's brooding Oscarbait melodrama.

Last edited: 4 Aug 2021
    Gareth Halfacree and Pete J like this.
  14. liratheal

I first read about it on.. Reddit? I want to say.

The reviews I read likened it to The Mummy (The good one with Brendan Fraser), and Indiana Jones.

It delivers. IMO, of course. Honestly, as good as the on screen chemistry between Blunt and Johnson was, Plemmons stole the show for me. He was fantastic. It was just a fun jungle romp all round. Definitely would watch again.

Didn't even do any sequel baiting in the credits, which was nice.

15. Xir

Xir Modder

Zashchitniki (Guardians) - 6/10
    This does right what cosmoball does wrong. It has (silly) humour (but I think it's a problem of translating Russian word-jokes into German/English) It has a story that flows, it has silly action fitting for a superhero movie. But tongue-in-cheek, unlike Chinese superheroes where everything Chinese is great.

Shadow in the clouds - 6/10
    Errrr, waht did I just watch?
    Well it's not boring, but it really doesn't know what movie it wants to be, and by the end you wonder what it was all for. Acting and action was decent. A bit of a chamber play really.

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Johnny Mnemonic: I miss the 90s / 10

Watched this YEARS ago as a young warthog. Damn I miss how computers and the internet were portrayed back in the day. It was also a simpler time, when films were fun. Turn brain off and enjoy the super advanced computer grafix, made using REAL COMPUTAHS.

I'd forgotten how hot Dina Meyer was/is. Mmm.

17. ModSquid

ModSquid Modder

(via Netflix)
    Outpost - Don't/10

Sketchy client with hidden agenda
    D-list assorted mercenaries (#expendable)
    Secret, somehow forgotten bunker
    In Eastern Europe
    Hiding Nazi archaeo-tech (sans Wolfenstein badge, sadly)...
    ...in plain sight that no-one else has yet chanced upon
    Suspicious lone surviving prisoner
    Darkness and fog

Just fill in the rest yourself and I guarantee it will be more or less along the lines of what was officially signed off. Saved you 90mins or so there.

18. ModSquid

ModSquid Modder

Me too, until your post!

Image page bookmarked.

Pete J likes this.
  19. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

The only film I recall seeing her in was Starship Troopers acting alongside the male and female planks they'd employed instead of proper actors.

Pete J and LennyRhys like this.
  20. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Calling out the acting on starship troopers...

Kinda missing the point, just a wee bit? :lol:

Byron C and goldstar0011 like this.