1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

True - And it is in service to making the films as good as they are to watch, I just.. Don't happen to believe that Keanu is irreplaceable in those films. I think any other similarly reputable actor could be John Wick. The fact that Halle Berry also put at least some of that same training into her role just solidifies that for me. I like Keanu, and I think he's an okay actor, but I don't think he's particularly.. Unique, if that makes sense.

2. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

3. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

I had the exact same thought when he said bloopers at the end !

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I agree. The excessive cuts thing dates back to Bourne, I'm pretty sure. And you're right, the Marvel school of filmmaking taking over the industry can be placed squarely on the success of Avengers.

What I mean about video games having a role in it is just that more and more of the people making movies will be of an age where they grew up playing games, as the older creative peeps die or retire (or go into making pretentious navel-gazing social pieces - sorry to Clint Eastwood, I love the man but American Sniper really jumped the shark). Video games are in the water supply now; their concepts and norms will be bound to affect us on an unconscious level.

Have you seen Morbius, by the way? It's just....every bad trait we've touched on, turned up to 11. It's like a 90-minute video game cutscene.

Unrelated, rewatched Amelie and it's still a 10/10 perfect film and a masterclass in style and pacing particularly. And the soundtrack is fantastic.

Last edited: 13 May 2022 at 14:48
    Pete J likes this.
  5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

True, true, but I think the movie industry, especially the American movie industry, is so far up itself that it'll shun video games and their story telling mechanics for some time yet - And I very much think they should. Every time a game spawns a film I'm aghast at how bland, or how shockingly crap, it is.

That said, I am enjoying Halo - It took a little bit to get into it, and to let the changes settle, but right now I'm really enjoying it. I like that they haven't shied away from making Halsey a complete piece of **** in every respect.

I've not watched Morbius, no. I have an aversion to Jared Leto, so he tends to need a good supporting cast before I'll entertain a film with him in. Or a Fight Club style scene.

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Ghostbusters Afterlife worth a watch/10

You know what, I enjoyed this. I wasn't expecting much at all but it kept me entertained.

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Venom Let There Be Carnage WTF/10

I didn't expect much from Venom the first time around but did find it quite a funny enjoyable watch. This though, jeez, it seemed to have been made just for being made's sake.

Waste of time.