1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Your concern over physical appearance and conforming to norms is slightly depressing. I guess Hollywood has really done a number on you.

Anyway, back on topic.

Title: Repo Men
    Rating: 7/10
    Reason: For some reason this average film really appealed to me - I suppose it's because parts of it reminded me of Total Recall, especially the futuristic corporate satire (Robocop and Starship Troopers do this best - both highly recommended films). Forest Whitaker is, as usual, awesome (but also criminally underused).

The whole film made me nostalgic for the days when big budget, campy, violent sci-fi dominated cinema screens. Where is Arnold when you need him?

Last edited: 11 Jul 2010
  2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Just you wait for The Expendables then.

3. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Yeah, it does look quite fun, but my particular brand of nostalgia is the late 80's/early 90's cheesy, violent sci-fi. Such as Robocop, Total Recall, The Running Man etc. Basically, anything in the same vein as Verhoeven's work.

4. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I love Verhoeven too. Too bad no one's dabbling in SciFi anymore.

Ah well, gratuitous violence makes up for lack of SciFi.

5. October

October Mariachi Style

Yikes.

Ninja edits'll only get you so far, that's a pretty appalling thing to say. Let's hope you never go for a casting director job, there's already more than enough of that attitude in films. And you talk about how you don't like cliches..? :sigh:

On-topic:

Toy Story 3
    Easily my favourite, makes for a perfectly rounded trilogy
    and yet leaves tonnes of room to do another one (which I'm quite sure would be awesome)
    . If you even halfway liked the first 2 there WILL be a tear or two.

6. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Predators; 4/10

I had set my expectations ultra-low for this. Massive fan of the original, which I am actually going to see in the cinema tonight. This new one isn't a touch on the original. Characters were weak and uninteresting, except for Lawrence Fishburne. "Twist" was blatantly obvious from 10 minutes in, story was mediocre. Some of special effects were utterpants. Weapon's are essentially explosive pea-shooters. "Best killers on our planet" couldn't hit a barn door if it walked up to them and slapped them. New "breed" of predators didn't look as menacing as the original.

Positives:
    Finally a Predator film where is actually some violence and none of this 12-rated tosh.
    The predator effects themselves were fairly good with decent animatronics in the faces.
    Despite standard-issue characters, I liked Brody, Fishburne and Takarov.

I know it's sci-fi, it's not meant to be realistic. I genuinely love sci-fi and proper action films, but when will people get that claymores are not über-C4.... THEY'RE SHOTGUNS IN A BOX!!! The effects from th blast were absolute crap as well, looked like a gelatinous ball expanding.
    None of the characters can hit a thing except for the sniper and she misses half the time. Brody's AA-12 has the largest drum capacity in existent despite on loading 6 rounds into a 20-rnd drum. The minigun sprays everywhere in a 120-degree arc and ol' ruskie boy can't hit diddly, even when it's standing still 5 metres from him.

I was really let down by this. That's why I'm going to see the original this evening, see how it's meant to be done.

7. gymman39

gymman39 What's a Dremel?

Seen hot tub machine and it was very good...loads of laughs all the way through...

8. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I only just saw Avatar, what a brilliant film.

The star for me was the girl na'vi Neytiri, I think played be Zoe Saldana.

Her acting was 'fantastic' and very 'believable'. I saw a bit of a debate over whether it was acting or cgi, graphics don't make a good film, its the acting that makes you believe it.

At the end it just kept getting better and better, probably one of the best films i've ever seen.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2010
  9. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I don't understand what you mean about ninja edits, and I don't understand what's so shocking about what I said.

[​IMG]

:-|

I'm going to stop derailing the thread, but my opinion on Michael Nyqvist stands.

Life or Something Like It (2002)

Strangely unfunny for a romantic comedy. Angelina Jolie's acting was fine, but Edward Burns pretty much ruined the movie (he played Brooklyn in Saving Private Ryan). His acting was awful.. The story had a couple semi interesting twists, but it was pretty predictable throughout. I regret not just going to sleep last night. Also, Angelina Jolie with her hair bleached platinum blonde was ridiculous.

5/10

Last edited: 13 Jul 2010
  10. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

'Kick ass' is wicked, but incredibly violent. I wanna get it in HD when its out.

kinda feels like a mix between spiderman and kill bill.

The girl below is Mindy she kicks serious butt !!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 17 Jul 2010
  11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The A-Team
    7/10
    Lots of fun to watch, completely silly, bit of a cliche story but that was expected and doesn't pretend to be more than it is. Solid 7.

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

That's a surprising score. At least it was until I checked on imdb and saw it was rated 7.4... now that is surprising !

13. gymman39

gymman39 What's a Dremel?

i like the a-team as well..fun to watch after spending my childhood watching the tv series

14. Dr. Awesome

Dr. Awesome I go to 11

Did anyone think that the Russian in Predators was blatantly designed by someone playing too much TF2? The only thing different is that his kid is called Sacha and not the gun. And he has some hair.

15. Mr Mario

Mr Mario What's a Dremel?

I would say it was closer to a 6.5/10 you are right some bits where just unbelievable, but it was still kind of cool, the Japanese gangster fighting a predator alone makes it worth watching.

16. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Ninja Assassin
    4/10
    It's like Shoot-em-up with Ninjas. Cool as that might sound, it's got too much slow motion, too high production values, and in general too much "matrix" in it.

17. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Orphan (2009)
    [​IMG]
    Too cheesy to be scary, and I felt bad for how adoption and orphans were portrayed.. The actress playing the orphan was ridiculous. I didn't want to suffer through the last half, I was begging the people I was watching with to just tell me WHO DIES and WHAT HAPPENS AT THE END. It was unfair being the only person who didn't see it.. Twist ending was fun.

3/10

18. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

The Ghost Writer - 5/10

Very predictable, made worse by how long it is (128 minutes)

19. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

Just watched The Machinist.
    ...I'll come back to you with a review, after the mindfark has worn off.

20. chimmy09

chimmy09 What's a Dremel?

The Book of Eli
    Pretty decent. I had no idea what it was about going in so it was a bit of a shocker, as I was expecting some sort of boring drama type movie. Had some pretty intense scenes, and pretty good action. A few things like firing 20 times from a handgun without reloading take away a bit, but those moments were few and far between.
    I would give it about 7.5/10 maybe an 8