1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware The Path of Progress: Tracking the evolution of AMD’s graphics cards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 6 Sep 2012.

1. stanonwheels

stanonwheels What's a Dremel?

Reads like a Gillette advert. Bad call.

2. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

This article is a new low for bit-tech. Time to search for somewhere new. :(

Edit: To clarify: There has been a section for sponsored articles in the past: The Industry News section. Why not use it and its clear headline for articles like this one?

3. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Eugh, even skim reading that left a bad taste in my mouth, not what I expect from Bit-Tech at all :-/

4. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

I agree with this. I read this "article" before any notes were added in about it being a sponsored piece and thought; "WTF is this crap?".

I am glad to hear that this was not written by BT themselves but I do have to question why this exact sort of article wasn't written by Bit? It would actually make for very interesting reading done properly.

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Guys, this is an AMD advert. Not a feature. It is purely designed to trumpet how awesome AMD are, always have been and always will be. It is not designed to convey the views of the Bit-tech editorial staff.

Treat is as such, and all will be well.

6. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

This article has just reminded me of the clusterf*ck that was early crossfire, my old x1900xt master card is still propping my lounge door open. AMD should have left ATI alone and concentrated on their CPU's as Intel have kept the performance crown ever since Conroe.

7. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

If you want to do that then do it as yourselves, don't create sponsored articles that do nothing but vomit PR at the reader. These articles are pointless as they don't chart anything other than what the company is questions wants the reader to know.

8. GrahamC

GrahamC What's a Dremel?

Owwer what if AMD sponsor a piece extolling the virtues of Bulldozer. That really would make me chuck.

9. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

"This article is sponsored by AMD."

That wasnt sponsored by AMD that was written by them. Sure I understand that you need to make money, but could there be stuff in the article actually worth knowing. Im sure there are some great technologies in AMD products, but could we not learn about them, rather than just being told theyre amazing.

Articles like this do have potential, but not just blatantly using superlatives in every sentence.

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

You should have started with Nvidia. Would have saved a PR nightmare since most people would have lapped it right up. :thumb:

11. Shirty

I disagree, blurring tbe line between advertising and editorial would be impossible from either side. AMD wouldn't accept any negativity, and Bit wouldn't feel comfortable extolling the virtues of products that they don't necessarily rate.

How many of the naysayers in this comments section read Custom PC, or indeed any other tech magazines? These have had sponsored advertising articles in them for years. Would you really expect the format to be any different on here? :confused:

I just can't see the problem now that the article is clearly marked as an advert.

12. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Not blurring the lines, just explaining the tech behind it and why its great, rather than 'its just great.'

13. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

Can I pick you up on this? We do have ads in Custom PC, and we do have some sponsored sections, but the sponsorship never interferes with the editorial - the only exception is if a supplier (e.g. Scan) supplies all the kit for a build feature, in which case we'll list them as the supplier, but I don't think that's what you're implying. The only other exception I can think of are things like the competition pages, but that's literally one page, and you get the chance to win a prize too. I don't recall ever doing a 'sponsored advertising article', at least not since I've been in charge. Can you give an example?

14. Shirty

Hi Ben, of course you can pick me up on this. I most definitely am not implying that the editorial of the mag is - or has ever been - swayed by advertisements. I was simply referring to the two page "advertisement feature" that one sees in many tech and gadget magazines.

I can't honestly say I've bought lots of issues in the past year since my subscription expired, but they definitely used to be in there and I don't think they ever interfered with the flow or style of the mag. So I am in no way criticising this method of advertising, as it's clearly marked as such. I am simply making the point that what Bit-tech have done today is by no means unusual in the printed media, so why should we treat the online media any differently?

I am firmly on the side of Bit and CPC here. Keep up the good work :thumb:

15. S1W1

S1W1 Minimodder

I think lots of people are being unfair here.

Bit-Tech is not a charity. I imagine that when they're not too busy being awesome, the journalists on this site actually need to eat and pay heating and electricity bills and buy clothes and buy fuel for their cars, etc. Unless you're willing to start paying Bit-Tech directly for their services, advertising is simply a necessity. Without this advertising BT would not be able to write the great reviews and articles that they do.

And therefore as long as advertising features are clearly marked as such, I have no problem with them. Admittedly the feature could read a little less like mindless propaganda and instead focus more on the technical side of things, actually explaining the merits of AMD's mostly (yet certainly not always) impressive graphics cards, without resorting to petty rhetoric.

Yet whilst I'm not a fan of this sort of advertising, to even suggest that this article compromises the integrity of Bit-Tech's reviews is ludicrous, and an insult to the honesty and hard work of the talented writers who most of us enjoy reading without ever paying a penny.

The fact that Bit-Tech created a comments section for this advertising feature (and have taken the time to respond to criticisms fairly) is further testament to the integrity of the staff, and the respect they clearly have for us as readers.

Signed a loyal and long-time reader,
    SW

16. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Bit-Tech is free.
    They need to get there income from somewhere.
    So long as it does not make rigged reviews i really don't care about sponsors or ads and nether should other people unless they would like to pay for there service's... im sure they will PM you there paypal details for you without any fuss.

[​IMG]

17. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

I would imagine AMD had to approve the copy. The thing is some PR bonehead at AMD would probably only approve this sycophantic rubbish.

If BT had actually been allowed to publish an interesting, in depth and honest article then AMD would have got a lot of respect from the community - which of course was the whole point of the exercise...

Ironically, by requesting an article which reads like an advertisers wet dream they have only attracted scorn.

Lets be clear, I have not one problem with sponsored articles. Unfortunately this one was crap (which I guess is a whole different question altogether).

Specifically it should have covered their failures as well as successes, and detailed their back and forth battles with Nvidia. That would have been a good read. AMD / ATI have had some great cards, they did not need to hide behind this crap.

* I would like to say though that I have a lot of respect for them allowing the comment thread and coming on to respond to criticism, that takes courage and shows respect for the community.

Last edited: 6 Sep 2012
  18. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

Not offended, it was clearly an "advert", but adding the historical "lows" to the "highs" would have been more honest...

Just my opinion. And we all like coloured blocks and diagrams too !

dunx

19. Ciber

Ciber Minimodder

I just want to say yes you are enititled to make money from your website. But. I do feel this type of piece that I have seen in Custom PC and now here deliberately blurs the line between the adverts and the honest reviews. I feel like adverts are a 'dirty' as in they are trying to influence our opinions for the sake of financial gain. Muddying the line between advertising and 'clean' honest reviews is dirtying the opinions and appraisals here and making those seem less honest and more influenced by the advertisers.

All up to you and of course if I don't like it or trust it then I don't have to read it.

Last edited: 6 Sep 2012
  20. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

Again, please can I ask for an example of where this was in Custom PC?

Tags: Edit