1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The PC Multimedia power supply

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Koolvin, 9 Aug 2001.

1. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

2. Phil

Phil New Member

thanks for publishing the article koolvin :)

3. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

no problem - we always welcome guest writers!!!

it's a cool gadget as well!

4. Maxx

Maxx New Member

Mod to the PC Multimedia device

Seeing the shot of the neon running from an external power source, I was wondering if anyone had considered plugging a HSF in a similar fashion.

When you shut off your PC, the fan on the heatsink shuts down, but the processor would still be shedding heat, with no fan to assist it.

If you could plug your HSF into the adapter, like the neon was, it seems to me that running it for 15-20 minutes after you've shut down your machine, could possibly extend the life of your processor.

5. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

Thats where the APS2000 comes into action!

www.gibtek.co.uk ;) I always have their unit in all my cases!!! expensive yes! but its ace!

6. Phil

Phil New Member

As soon as I get my hands on some more working units I plan to do exactly that - This unit can do roughly gibtek's aps baybus thingy does, although it doesn't look as nice - it's a bit cheaper and easier to fit though.

Eventually, I plan to have:
    1x 12V powering the Cold Cathode

1x7V and 1x12V (or similar - maybe a 9V instead of a 7) wired to the fans - I only have one switched on at a time you see (don't wanna spin them at 15,000 rpm do I :D) - and thus you get a nice simple speed controller...

or maybe I'll just use them to power my external devices as they are designed for - the great thing about them is you can do som many different things with them.

7. Maxx

Maxx New Member

APS2000

Thanks for the link to GibTek. I'd never heard of the APS2000 before.

It looks like an awesome device, and I'd love to get my hands on one! However, based on the price as quoted, it would more than likely be prohibitively expensive to get one shipped over here to the US.

I'll make do with applying the mod to the PC Multimedia device, when they become available. I think it will do the job I need, while I save up the cake for the APS.

8. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

we have a review of the APS with lots of pictures this weekend! i am not doing any articles until I finish the APS one! so watch this space!

the APS2000 is extremly easy to fit - you wouldn't believe!

Tags: Add Tags