1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The Projector Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rainbowbridge, 27 Nov 2016.

1. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Well-Known Member

I thought it would be helpful to post a thread for Projectors,

My purchase and research first started just a few days ago when I spotted this

Duronic EPS92/169 HD Projector Screen (Screen: 203cm(w) X 114cm(h)) - 16:9 Widescreen Matte White Screen - Electric Motorised switch control - £74.99

[​IMG]

I also snapped on to the order the control :

Duronic EPS/ Remote Control for use with Duronic EPS (Electric) Projector screens
    Sold by: DURONIC £19/99

That order was placed on the 25th Nov and between then and just an hour ago when I purchased my projector I have been reading and scanning google with keyword search:

Best projectors 2016
    Top ten projectors

After a lot of back and forth between just two vendors honestly, Benq, Epsom. I decided to go up past the £350 and £500 to £600 mark and secured the supposed Blueray presentation benchmark. BenQ W2000. £799 + £75 extended warranty.

Here it is:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Few thoughts and generality's about my purchase

I have 14 days no questions asked with return or swap out ( I can change model to another unit..!)
    I purchased for £75, 6 year full warranty and support parts if the unit fails which i thought was a great price for peace of mind.
    4k projectors maybe a little less then £10k in two to three years, so i can always release the projector and put money towards a better projector in the future.
    I am used to a 42" IPS Dell from obutto distance away so a little spolit in image quality.
    Mount point for the project with this model is a rare feature called keystone, means you can put the projector way off at the side and it can alter the image to be correct.
    My projector screen is due to arrive by Thursday next week (4 days).
    This is my first project outside of office Powerpoint usage.
    I have high light control so 2000lums should be fine.
    Will be using the projector for
    -Video training files.
    -Sci-Fi movies, sports.
    -No games, but may feed it a game to test from a free GTX1080 port,
    -Will use headphones so not really bothered abbot the sound

Current problems or concerns:
    - have to drill two holes for the motorized projector screen.
    - Want to find at way to use a empty pole of my current furniture to become a tripod stand point to put the projector into, will do an image to show see if any one has any tips?

Its coming up to Xmas and sure others will be others eyeing a projector to do the home Cinema solution upgrade.

There were a lot of other projectors to look through but it was the supposed REC color compliance and this Keystone off center placement which swung it for me. This is meant to be a really good projector.

Looking forward to playing Sci fi movies on this and seeing what all this projector awesome is cracked up to be (if its that good).

Projector inputs please jot it down for others to learn from

will post back my adventure, super excited about this purchase!!!

I asked in plain English is it worth it to upgrade to the W3000, I am happy to spend that extra money (up from £799, to £1199) But he did not want to go there only asking I first check this unit out. seems the upgrade to the W3000 (next model up for my unit) is a whole much more better?

Last edited: 27 Nov 2016
  2. rainbowbridge

So its 22:30 and I have come home but instead of taking a shower, maybe mulling over a few pages of a book or any thing sensible, its put luke skywalker vs darth vador on a bed sheet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2.5meters or so to the front of a simple desk aways back from this area which can support a bed sheet (above), important stuff like support a bed sheet (hanging) :D

updates coming including impressions of how good or not this W2000 is, looking out for clarity, brightness, motion, impression. bang for the buck of £799 (actually £789 guy chipped a tenner off)

Ninja edit:

What the heck I never knew this bed sheet I put to the side 18 months back was so nice, it feels like silk (really nice wow).

[​IMG]

easy to dro off the top, used a old HTC vive sensor tripod to lay along the top of the sheet to hold it in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Projector out of box time.

22:54:

Projecctor out of the box, did not switch it on only put the power cable in and no video cable yet, but its come on by itself. need to pop out the lens protector.

Blurry out of focus, some kind of set up wizard?

[​IMG]

In progress

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Very easy to zoom out the size to its max, then re-adjust with the other wheel (vs cog leaver to the back there).

thoughts so far.

nice but not as big as I thought.
    By moving the project back another foot I can see that the area of maximum control of the delivery of screen size is at the 2.5 to 3meters and move area, so for ever inch foot you move it after 2.5 it makes a logarithmic difference to the screen size, so one meter to 2 meters distance is less than the 2.5 to the 3.5 distance in affect of changing the screen size.

in progress.

Step three on the set up of the device is keystone and boy is it impressive. hats off to BenQ it works and is truly amazing to set up.

Here is off angle but flat correct forwards after setting the keystone (right in this case).

[​IMG]

At this angle with out keystone one should expect it to look like this (below).

[​IMG]

Did a maximum keystone coupled with maximum angle of W2000 because WE WANT TO SEE WHAT IT CAN DO, AKA break it!!

projected at maximum keystone (right adjust).
    [​IMG]

desk very big angle off head on but it can easily handle it.

[​IMG]

This is impressive, hats off to BenQ for this feature.

Now its Jedi Time with the Lights out once I complete this wizard and hopefully get it recognized as an external device via HDMI.

The camera picks up a rainbow effect but there is none with human eye.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Nov 2016
  3. rainbowbridge

Impressions of Jedi!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok even with the make do bed sheet for the back screen, lights out, that was awesome to see.

The projector is not in its final home which should hopefully mean a larger image adding a solid meter? to the "throw" distance.

My impressive of the viewing (surprised did not see coming) is that in some way the projection of the light through the air adds some quality to the viewing, I don't know what it is with out going all hocus pocus or hippy using terms like karma and universal connection but the age period that the film was shot in came alive with me by the act of projection through the air, I was not expecting that. I felt a lot closer to the depiction and air of the time via projector. (like I could taste / sense participate and be there)

by the act of projecting the film it added a flavour or quality to the viewing, making the film more alive some how. I was no way expect that, interesting. "Projecting an image is a lot more natural and connecting, "

Will update once the rear screen is in, so far solid recommend, it is pumping out heat thou via the front exit grill, must be 20 to 30 watts of pure heat at a slow fan speed? its like take 5 to 7 laptops which like chucking out CPU exit heat to the left or right of your laptop, then add a little volume to the exiting air slowing it down.

4. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

Congratulations, you seem to be very happy with your purchase, good!
    Projectors sure are fun.

If you like it on a bed-sheet, you'll love it on the screen :thumb:

Not to spit in your soup but...

This model has a vertical lens shift only. You'll need to place it in the exact middle of the screen, then you can shift the picture up (or down) depending on your mounting point.
    Keystone correction is usually the "making square" of the trapezium-shaped image when pointing the projector up or down.
    As this is a digital correction, it actually shoots your full-HD in the foot and you should try to avoid it.

Also it's a DLP-projector. Are you sensitive to the "Rainbow-effect" and if so, do you notice it?
    (if not, lucky you) :D

5. rainbowbridge

So you feel i have the wrong projector, what is the better option for around the price bracket?

6. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Lens shift is overrated / not necessary IF you take your time and measure carefully when mounting your projector.

I have the Viewsonic Pro9000 which does not have lens shift. Measuring the points for the ceiling mount wasn't fun and took quite a while. Everything worked fine in the end though.

I'd have spend the extra lens shift costs on a better screen or a projector without DLP tbh.

Xir makes a very good point though: Avoid keystone correction at all costs. It will degrade your picture by a lot.

Edit: http://www.projectorcentral.com/ was a great ressource for choosing a projector. Have a look at their top lists. Don't disregard the more expensive list right away, sometimes you can get a deal.

Last edited: 28 Nov 2016
  7. rainbowbridge

I need to see the image on the proper screen,

Here is the W3000, do we return with in 14 days and pick up this unit?

What HI Fi - BenQ W3000 review - Clicky

Like its sibling, the BenQ W2000, it uses the company's ‘Cinematic Colour’ technology, which means it’s calibrated to Rec. 709 colour space – an industry-wide colour reproduction standard for high-def TV.
    Curiously, the W3000’s 10:000:1 contrast ratio is lower than the W2000’s 15000:1, and it only matches it for brightness (2000 lumens).
    But it justifies its status with improved optics and picture processing under the CinemaMaster video engine umbrella (Motion Enhancer, Colour Enhancer and Pixel Enhancer); a bigger zoom (1.6x instead of 1.3x); and by adding horizontal lens shift to the W2000’s vertical one.

8. Aterius Gmork

Please do not spend 1200 pounds on a DLP projector. Maybe you are overwhelmed by the size of the projection right now as you should be, but once you notice the DLP rainbow effect you cannot "un-see" it and it will annoy you.

Do you need the bigger zoom?

I have only checked a few German reviews and they didn't praise the enhancer software of the W3000 at all: Lag and artifacts are mentioned.

9. rainbowbridge

80" width from 3meters back.
    What is the best type, LCD?

What model is best under £1250, £1500?

Thanks for the w3000 tip, so its epsom?

10. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I remember when I bought a projector a while back now almost on a whim, wasn't anything amazing but I was happy with it, and now so are the family as it's stayed with them.

Definitely something I'd look to get again in the future once I buy somewhere.
    Also agree that it will get even better once you get it on a proper screen.

I'd recommend trying to get it as aligned as you can, no point having it angled if you can avoid it.

11. rainbowbridge

Changing this out tommorow to german acceptable engineering unit, that all german bit tech nembers will say, oh yes thats much better!

Should update tommorow evening :)

12. Aterius Gmork

13. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

No, it may well be the right projector for you.

Two points:
    You shoud try and avoid the Keystone correction as it will flaw your picture.
    (as in: reduce your resolution, and when the picture from your bluray isn't "native" 1920x1080 anymore, the projector will need to interpolate EVERY pixel, so try to avoid that.) :D

This will require you to place the projector in such a way that you don't get a trapezoid in the first place.
    Lens shift makes this easier, your projector has vertical lens shift so you may be able to tuck it away somewhere instead of placing it smack-middle in your room.
    Under the ceiling maybe.

Second, if you don't notice the rainbow effect, good for you, you get away with much cheaper and brighter projectors. :thumb:
    If you are subjective to it, it'll start to be very annoying very fast.
    So I hope you don't notice it, some people don't. :D

14. rainbowbridge

Got the boxed new Epsom EH -TW6700 (£1119) also recieved motorized screen, its very very long box maybe 7, 8 feet? Also got a projector tripod stand arriving between 16:00 > 17:00

I hope to make valuable input so others considering projector for a free large wall can see how it goes for my go at this.

Will do basic look over this projector later tonight (pictures later) then get screen up w/e.

Its nice I have the W2000 as a personal reference point, throw, heat, sound.

Exciting.:thumb:

15. rainbowbridge

[Updated] All parts:

Duronic EPS92/169 HD Projector Screen (Screen: 203cm(w) X 114cm(h)) - 16:9 Widescreen Matte White Screen - Electric Motorised switch control
    Sold by: DURONIC
    £74.99

Duronic EPS/ Remote Control for use with Duronic EPS (Electric) Projector screens
    Sold by: DURONIC
    £19.99

EPSON EHTW6700
    White 3D LCD Projector 1080p HD Ready

£1299 (£100 off using CODE TV100 online or in store!!)

Projector / Laptop Stand - Portable Adjustable Tripod Floor Stand
    £ 17.99 inc VAT
    (Going to try to throw the pipe (tube) down a Obutto Monitor pole mount hole.). I will try to document this before I try it so if it works I will seem really smart if it fails then the fail will be shared ha

[​IMG]

exhausted but want to try to get the projector up and running and get some nice German sister city images up to the bed sheet and also see what is the DPL / LCD screen impression.

Thank you Aterius Gmork, Xir.

[20:43- food time, tired hungry:)

21:31 -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Es gibt kein Licht, wenn eine Taste wie die andere Projektorsteuerung gedrückt wird [no lamination on control]

Eine Herausforderung später, um den Projektor Laptop-Ständer, Stativpol, hinunter dieses Loch für sitzende Position des Projektors zu setzen

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 29 Nov 2016
  16. rainbowbridge

EPSON EH TW6700 unwrapping

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 29 Nov 2016
  17. rainbowbridge

few thoughts before pictures (in no order).

Firstly the projector is bright, I did not see the punch and beams of the W2000 projector, you can literally see the beams of the light like its a cinema and you are looking back at the projector room.

This LCD projector runs hugely much less hot.

As I tested this Epsom 6700 the image left me feeling cold and isolated away from the essence of the film, until I found the various cinema modes, like Dynamic, and others which helped bring it back to the W2000 for natural impression.

I was thinking about W2000 and how it affected me in a positive manner with its communication of the film, I was thinking regarding the old vacuum tube amplifiers and how old school audiophiles prefer them (true analogue).

I think some thing like that could be going on here with the W2000?, because no matter how accurate the rotating DLP motor and technology is, the light is going to be just a little different in an organic way, its like a random number generator, the brain can pick up that its NOT a computer chip digital projection but that there is movement, fault, imperfections, just like real life.

I don't know what "Dynamic" means in the colour mode of the 6700, but it brought it 50 to 60% closure to the W2000. Bright and cinema also added lovely colour. Over all I much prefer the Epsom 6700 to the W2000 but I feel I have lost some kind of magic from the DLP means of image projection, that said I want the accuracy and precision of the LCD.

Using a projector feels like a special event and the sound of the 6700 was great, I had to turn it down twice, the base was deep and convincing. If you had this projector only for sound in a med to large room and you turned it up, you would be more than fine. 10wattts (RMS?) is a lot here. it sounded nice.

The lens cap does not have any tethering or means to stay close to the lens?

Lens technology appeared to be more advanced than the W2000, zooming the image out and focusing were as easy as clicking your fingers, you just rotate the lens and a plastic guide (lens).

The real value with a device like this is when you can set it up to address a suitable wall space and inch out beyond 50/60/70", and turn the lights out making it your camp fire for a group or alone.

This is a really lovely little projector (solid build quality, like it could snap into a star citizen ship some place).

For now I need to mount it up properly, and get to see what it can do on a proper large screen, but just messing about with it, its impressive technology. Its very bright clear lush image, I could not see any problems, even when I had my powerful lamp on the thrown image was perfectly viewable.

I should be able to get a throw of 12 to 14 feet so should be able to easily max out my projector screen which is going to be interesting to see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Note the above light angle can be drastically "lens shifted, up or down". (also left and right).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    You can not feel the heat of the beam, but it is still very bright.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    that clarity of r2 d2 from this distance on a simple beds sheet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The tripod base seems as fat (large) as the actual obutto, so for my situation maybe the inner core pipe will be ok to slide in?

[​IMG]
    Looking good.

[​IMG]
    Super, just hacksaw the required (5 or 8") from the top down as required.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Image Panned out with the Projector pushed back as far as it would go on the desk.

[​IMG]

I can not give a rating yet but after a week I will post back conclusion on the Epsom EH -TW6700

Was die deutsche Mannschaft über diesen Projektor zu sagen hat

Projectors: A Guide To Truly Cinematic Gaming

Last edited: 30 Nov 2016
  18. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

I seem to have missed how you got a second projector, but okay. :D

I didn't say which one I had on purpose, didn't want to influence you :lol:

Ehmm, well as said, the main pluspoint is no Rainboweffect, which is why I bought the predecessor to your projector (I have the EH-TW2900 since 2009).
    Lens shift makes it easier to place it in a room without Keystonecorrection, so that is nice too.

At the time I tested (2009) :D DLP was brighter and ummm more colourfull, but the rainboweffect ruined it for me.

It's showing its age though, I'm on my third lamp, and I'm pretty sure it's not as bright as it was when new.
    I'm also pretty sure it's lost some of its colour, and is starting to show more banding in grey-to-dark grey.
    Maybe it's time to invest in a new one. :D

You'll love the screen, makes a hell of a difference over a bedsheet :thumb:

19. rainbowbridge

ok so as can be expected a few weeks in I am starting to get interested about the 3D feature of this projector.

The listed glasses are:
    3D GLASSES (ACTIVE, RF) - ELPGS03

Few questions to any one that knows about 3d ?

- Any one tested 3d with a projector?
    - How does radio freq (RF) glasses sync with your video? does the projector give out a sync signal?

The glasses look pretty awesome, you have to actually turn them on.

Woundering if any one has seen 3d on a large screen or projecctor and do you think its worth it?

20. lcdguy

lcdguy Active Member

Honestly i don't see what all fuss about 3d is. For me i would rather they invest money in image quality and work on bringing prices down on the 4k projectors then investing time and money into 3d. Since each viewer would need a pair and epson glasses are not exactly cheap i think i would pass on the 3d features. (my current projector does support 3d but i don't think i would ever use it.)

As a side note i have always loved epson projectors (i am on my 3rd one now) All have been rock solid with no issues. (until they needed replacement.)

I have had the following units.

Epson Powerlite S3
    Epson Home Cinema Powerlite 1080p UB
    Epson Home Cinema Powerlite 5025UB (current one)

If your really still curious about it i would see if any local electronics/home theater companies has some 3d projectors setup so you can see if investing in the glasses would be a worth while investment for you.