1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The Quadcopter/Drone/Multirotor Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Byron C, 4 Mar 2017.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Well-Known Member

Couple of flights between the rain storms, some workmanlike videos of roofs at work but no photos. The videos ca he on my phone, but i can't see the photos.
    I've tracked down Samsung 64GB Evo Plus locally, which will get me going when I get to the shops later.
    If the Mini has photo exposure control, that's an improvement.
    In my limited experience, I'd say buy at least one spare battery.

2. silk186

silk186 Derp

When the weather is better I will take it out again. Right now I'm focused on learning the controls as the parks around me are full of trees.

3. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

Thanks for the video. That's great to know. I had the impression the new app is incredibly limited. Granted, the impression came from Spark forum.

Sorry, I meant buying brand new fly-more bundle on the Mavic Mini for ~£370, depend on exchange rate at time of purchase, from official DJI online store directly via TMall. That's 3 batteries for over 1 hour total flight time.

What I really like with Mavic mini is that (like other Mavic) it folds up and the RC has removable sticks. Essentially I can have the setup in my coat pocket. Or more realistically in my camera bag, instead of a single large mirrorless lens. No more dedicated bag for drone.

Originally, when I replaced my Phantom 2 with Spark, I thought I'd wait until Phantom 4 level features come to Spark sized drone or smaller. But as I use Spark over the years, I found myself doing all the flying manually. Never used active track beyond initially trying it out. Never used pre-set flight paths. It's the flying and taking photo from unique angles that I enjoy the most. So hopefully Mavic mini will be good enough for me.......... until truly intelligent drone comes down to this size.

Arboreal likes this.
  4. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

When you next fly the MMini, could you check the RC model number for me please?
    Or whether you can choose 2.4 GHz channel.

I'm looking at DJI comparison table, it shows MMini have 2 different RC:

MR1SSS5
    5.725 - 5.850 GHz
    FCC: 4000m
    SRRC: 2500m

MR1SD25
    2.400 - 2.483 GHz
    MIC: 2000 m
    CE: 2000 m
    5.725 - 5.850 GHz
    CE: 500m

This page suggests SRRC approval is for the Chinese market: https://www.cetecom.com/en/certification/market-approval-for-china/srrc-certification/

While it's not good to fly non-approved radio equipment, on a personal level, it will be good to get the longer range 5GHz RC.

Arboreal likes this.
  5. Arboreal

Arboreal Well-Known Member

As you can get the Fly More bundle for the same price as the basic UK kit, that's perfect.
    Making it pocketable is an amazing feat.
    Like David, I will be buying a photo/drone backpack so that the Mavic Pro and Fuji X-T1 can go out together.
    Rumour has it that there will be a new mid range Mavic announced in the New Year; possibly something Air size with a better camera like the Hasselblad Mavic 2 Pro variant.

It will be interesting to see which way they develop the range. I am happy with the Pro as a starter, as it does all I want and more, especially with the exposure control and raw output.
    Undoubtedly something better will come along that will add to what you can do, but that's fun for later on.