1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The Random Fact About You - Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Steve @ CCL, 7 Jul 2011.

1. Steve @ CCL

Steve @ CCL CCL Tech. Support

And how did you manage that Yorkie?

2. Yorkie

Yorkie Minimodder

Driving down the hard shoulder to avoid filtering, followed 3 other french bikers who all got points :p

3. xinaes

xinaes What's a Dremel?

I can do the eye-shakey thing, and see floaters. I don't think I've ever met anyone else that can do the shakey thing, and wonder if it is related to prolonged exposure to screens.

Somewhere in my family tree, there is a saint. I don't really know the details, apart from that they were Russian Orthodox and believed that if common people read too much it would draw them away from God (seem to remember my source for the bit about reading was my sister... at some point I should verify).

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Everyone can do the eye-shakey thing, deliberate unfocusing and most people see floaters (the rest are lying). Many can also cross each eye individually. I'll give you the saint thing though --that's pretty unique.

OK, another random fact: I was once interviewed as a potential psychology 'expert' for "Big Brother's Big Brain", to be aired alongside Big Brother Celebrity Edition. I didn't get the job because I quoted them the usual private work fee --I think they expected me to do it for free in return for the publicity or something. I also wanted a month's notice if they decided to hire me so I could arrange annual leave; I explained that as a NHS professional I had a waiting list to consider. Not how TV and radio work, apparently. They want you to clear your diary for them at the drop of a hat (which is also how I stopped being a radio expert for BBC after only one appearance --I wouldn't drop things for them at short notice).

It also didn't help that I turned down the possibility of taking part in regular Big Brother, saying that I thought it would be unethical. :p

5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I salute you, sir!

Hm, another random fact about me. Let's see...I don't believe incest or cannibalism are intrinsically wrong. Fo' real.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Have relatives for dinner often? :p

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

speaking of family history:
    My mother's side has French Hugenot in it, as well as a man that is listed in the "family ancestry tome" as "unlicensed sea trader" from Scotland. Sounds like "pirate" to me, although that's probably not the case.

My dad's side is filled with missionaries across southern Africa and Jewis surnames. At one point in the 1940's they changed their surname from "Engelmann" to "Eisenberg", stating that "Engelman was too Jewish". Smart people... :p

Another fact: When my Gran's mother was born (thus my great-gran), my great-grandad (missionary in Southern Namibia) was so elated that he got drunk, got on a horse, rode to the capital and proply registered her as a son.

8. Steve @ CCL

Oh that reminds me, I'm not a full blooded Jew, I'm Jewish..

Lawl

But no, my mothers side comes from Ireland and Italy (her mothers side came over from Ireland during the tater famine and her dads side from Italy) and my fathers side comes from Scotland and my Dads, Dads, Dad was Jewish apparently so... *shrug*

9. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I'm one-half Seminole, with tribal voting rights and the ability to live on reservation if I want. The reservation, however, is a depressing place.

Also, it seems that my last name was created by taking the name of the town where my forebears lived and making it plural. Explains why there's little record of it elsewhere.

So in other words, if you're in the US, you're on my land. Trespassers.

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I often get told I have a voice for radio (thankfully not a face for radio :hehe:), often enough to start seriously considering it for awhile as something fun to do on the side. Decided not to persue it any further after getting a better idea of what life's really like in the business. Well, that and the lack of nearby broadcasting stations.

11. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

It's only for two weeks, honest!

As I've mentioned in this thread, my Great-great-great-grandfather (on my mother's side) founded William Grant and Sons which the extended family still own and run. My great aunt is 110 years old this August and is apparently the oldest woman in Scotland, she opened the Kininvie distillery of which the only bottlings ever done (since it's generally blended) have been for her 100th and 105th birthdays (and are worth quite a bit). My dad was raised in South Wales (Bridgend to be exact) and London. On his side there have been cowboys from California and a first Batsman for the English cricket team (who used to play catch with my grandmother apparently).

12. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

[​IMG]

Et un autre encore: I've ridden a motorbike on L-plates for 4 years and never had an accident. I do not plan to take my test anytime soon unless they change the rules about learners.

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I do not have a driving license but I have driven a car at 70... plus VAT... and possibly Interest... mph [albeit in a straight line... with a flappy-paddle gearbox...]

14. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Fun fact: I understood that. I am at times surprised that I remember my french classes.

Another fun fact:
    I had the paperwork for an application to the German Air Force signed and in an envelope, then decided not to volunteer for 13 years, and never sent them.
    Now my younger brother is learning avionics mechanic in the same squadron I would (hopefully at least) be flying for.

15. Mik3yB @ CCL

Mik3yB @ CCL Everything is not going to be OK

I still own a Levi's Twisted jacket - just found it on the coat stand.

Is it no longer cool to wear it? It's 2011 and I think I bought it in about 2002/2003??

:|

16. Steve @ CCL

I just experienced this with Mike in the office and well I'm sure it's not just me that didn't care...

17. Mik3yB @ CCL

Mik3yB @ CCL Everything is not going to be OK

You don't understand the gravity of the situation.. it's like someone phoning you out of the blue to tell you that you have fathered 7 children without remembering...

I'm still shocked by the find.

18. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

My current resting heart rate is 56 bpm.
    My highest resting heart rate (that I have measured) was 72 bpm.
    My lowest resting heart rate (that I have measured) was 50 bpm.

19. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I think I might either have high blood pressure or I am just incredibly unhealthy. Which is odd since i'm about average in terms of health. My resting heart rate is 70-ish and i'm only 18.

Me is slightly worried.

20. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Don't get too worried, sounds like you're around average fitness for your age.

For a start, RHR is only a very rough guide to how good your cardio is. I have seen two people of roughly the same fitness with very different RHR (42 vs 54). It depends on age, height, weight and everything else so YMMV.

The RHR of 50 was obtained when I was 21 after 8 weeks of fairly intense exercise (5-6 times a week, 500-900 cals per session). Suspect I could have dipped into the 40s if I continued but circumstances at the time prevented it (injury and change of location).

A rowing friend of mine had a RHR of mid to low 30s. He went for a check up in the hospital for an unrelated reason but as part of the hospital's procedures they checked his heart rate. After a few seconds the HR monitor started beeping and two nurses rushed out to check on him. Turns out his HR was so low that the machine thought he was having a cardiac arrest!

Elton likes this.