1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The reliability of UK internet providers for gaming

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mattyh1995, 5 Apr 2013.

1. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I'm on Sky Fibre right now and it's been absolutely rock solid, better than the Be/O2 and VM cable connections I've had before that which were also very good but still suffered the occasional hiccup.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Apr 2013
  2. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

My god, our old ADSL must have been better than I thought.

Out in the sticks, 2.5Mb and I hardly ever got lag in any games, ping usually around 50ms.
    We're now on TalkTalk fibre, 38Mb and a ping on speedtest of 15-20ms, in WoT it's at about 40ish, so doesn't seem to have changed much there from ADSL, not looked at what it is in Bf3 or anything else yet.

That's on Tesco and then TalkTalk. Not had any major connection problems either, only one we did have was because BT were working on the local cabinet and wired it up wrong when they finished.

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

we were with 02 for 3 years , rock solid , only ever went down in a power cut! now on sky FTTC (since at the time 02 didn't offer it) - again rock solid - we get 40/10 which is line capped so we get <9ms latency and max speed all the time

4. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I'm with Orange EE, cost me £18.50 inc line rental PM for unlimited up to 20Mbits on ADSL 21CN.
    I get 17Mbits down and 1.5Mbits up 24/7. My ping sits at 15ms solid in BF3 on the Scan 64 player map. I also have 1ms jitter.

Your connection is always going to be based on how far you are from your exchange. I sit just within 1KM of my exchange. Once you start to come outside of the 1KM radius, your connection will become poorer.:)

5. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Not had a problem in over 2 years with bog standard BT ADSL broadband.

It just sounds like you're over subscribed in your area, nothing you can do about that though.

The 120 meg service has a fair usage policy which will cut your speeds for 5 hours if you hit a certain amount in "peak" times.

[​IMG]

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Wow, Virgin must hate their customers.

7. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Cable depends on what capacity is like in the area, a few heavy users and its very poor.

Adsl- most services are sold by BT and are fine, BT Plus Net EE are the most popular, smaller providers are good but more expensive ie Zen.
    LLU suppliers Sky is the best followed by CW and then TT due to their awful CS.

FTTC depends on distance from the cabinet but is a good fast service if you get slow adsl- the 3 providers to go with are BT infinity, Plus Net and Sky as their the only 3 with a unlimited package.

If you want a low ping and are close to a exchange then best to go with a adsl provider.

8. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I can't say I've had any problems using BT Infinity for gaming. Even before when we used the piece of **** that was AOL/TalkTalk adsl broadband gaming was fine even though everything else about it was appalling.

9. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Orange/EE

I had a few problems where the speed went through the floor for a few days I sent an email they asked for more details then it went up.

I also had a problem with my phone going dead for week, didn't even notice, lol, BT sorted that out at the exchange.

I think the exchange is being upgraded soon to FTTC, I live out of town so it's not a priority to be upgraded.

10. koola

koola Minimodder

This is mine through a SSTP VPN from Shanghai to New York. Even with the high ping, I have no real issues playing Starcraft.

UK pricing is great for what you get, I'm paying £20 a month for 2Mbps ADSL.

[​IMG]

11. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Area specific problems with VM. Are down to over subscription. Go to think broadband. Register and setup a quality monitor.

I have had one running for along time now. Since I had issues with my connection.

Over the phone support sucks but the community support does help. Posting screens of speed tests. Modem readings and quality monitor got them to fix the issue.

Which was a fault at the exchange anyway.

Solid 60meg line here. Though during peak time I do get some ping spikes every so often.

12. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

In my experience (and i work for someone who provides ADSL/Fibre from 5 different wholesalers) - There's no point comparing company A to company B - You're still running on the same copper when it comes to ADSL.

The only difference is the lengths the company will go to to ensure you have a speed/connection that satisfies you, whether that is upgrading your copper, modifying your line profiles, increasing SNR.
    And their cost:benefit to you.

If you have incredibly low speeds on BT, moving to Sky or Plusnet won't make a massive difference.

I got fed up with this lottery and splashed on a leased line, 100mb, I use this to host a few MC/Dayz servers, as well as my general day to day fun times. Never had an issue. But it costs a fair whack.

Plus I have a backup BT Business Infinity line.

Overkill, but my life without 'net is nothing. :D

13. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

I've been a Virgin broadband subscriber for over 5 years total (in three different houses) and never had any problems. I doubt I've had more than a few hours downtime since 2009.

14. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

How are BT with capping your data? I do (probably like most of you) lots of downloading. Don’t want throttled or capped, moving soon so need to get thinking about this.

15. ElZog

ElZog Defeater of Satan's Transformo Sofa

On Virgin media 30mb, never had any trouble with throttling that i've noticed. Looking at the policy, it seems they only count peer to peer traffic in their limits and a google search brought me to a virgin media rep claiming they don't throttle steam. Not sure if that's true but based on my experience it seems feasible.
    "How does file sharing traffic management work?

We moderate the total volume of file sharing traffic on our network between 5pm and midnight on weekdays and midday and midnight on weekends. This policy, which applies to all broadband packages, is restricted to Peer to Peer (“P2P”) applications which are commonly used to distribute large amounts of data.

This policy does not impact any applications other than Peer to Peer, so things like watching iPlayer, online gaming, making calls via Skype, downloading music tracks from iTunes or streaming them from Spotify and sending an email or normal browsing are unaffected."

16. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

17. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

well they had to really since throttling and caps didn't work with Netflix or lovefilm streaming

oh and sky fibre was allways unlimited anyway

19. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

Teelzebub, do you know where there Customer Service Center is based? Is it in the UK or in some far off distant land?

Reason I ask is I have been having issues with talktalk for 6 months now and I cannot stand ringing India anymore and talking to people who speak broken English from a script and can't understand a regional accent.

I advise anyone NOT to go to Talktalk, their Customer Service is absoloutly the worst I have ever dealt with.

20. rollo

rollo Modder

Companies are fighting each other for customers so expect prices and packages to change as the lines improve.

New fiber packages look alot better than the first ones that's for sure .