1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"THE RIG" A SoulsEnd project (update 1-25-04)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by SoulsEnd, 12 Jan 2004.

1. SoulsEnd

SoulsEnd What's a Dremel?

After the front panel was secured, it allowed me to do a "dry fit" of the other components. I plan to elevate the motherboard allowing me to put both the PSU and water pump below it. Also you will notice I figured out some nice placement for the 16 port switch. This is in no way how the final produce will look...all pieces will be either painted, polished or covered up. This is a test run of all component locations.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One thing I could use some input on is the front grills for the rads. Im open for suggestions. Thinkin I might have to give mnpctech a yell for some mesh.

2. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

I got a suggestion for ya...

Instead of the LCD flipping up, why dont you make it flip down? I mean, if its going to be sitting ona table, flipping it up will create and odd viewing angle. But if its flipped down, it'd be at the perfect height.

3. fuzzygoblin

fuzzygoblin What's a Dremel?

I think i can answer this one for you legoman, if he was to flip the screen down its going to block anything he later puts on the front and not nowing how tall the case is i would say he would his two radiators witch ould lead to some serius coling problemes, i dont know if im right but thats waht i rekon, you are right when you say it would be a better veiwing angle but some things arnt thatr simple.

by the way nice mod man its comming along really good, i love the lcd and i love your internal 16 port switch, i was infact going to put an internal 8 port switch in my breifcase pc but due to the boscure textre off the aluminim it was was going to look very mess i think.

nice mod ill stay tunned

4. The_Sub

The_Sub What's a Dremel?

I think that you should go with that idea. Put some mesh counter sunk in the back side of the front panel. Keeps the front nice and clean. Its gotta be black of course.. :D Or maybe some other custom made grill done up the same way.
    Got a question though.. How is the LCD going to be powered? Are you going to use a 12V line off the psu or does it require 120V and you're going to take a cord out the back??

5. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

those 90* elbows on your radiators are going to KILL your flow rate. Ditch them! if you have trouble bending the tubing, put it in boiling water for 30 seconds before you put it on, it'll bend really easy.

6. SoulsEnd

It does run at 12v and yes I do intend on running that along with the switch off the psu. Im think mess is the way to go.

7. SoulsEnd

as I stated earlier, this is not a finished project and this was only a "Dry Fit". I am currently waiting for clear 90 elbow pvc. Bending the tubing is not a concern, im using clearflex, which has a great turning radius.

8. SoulsEnd

ummm...what he said. and thanks for the props... :D

9. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Not meaning to plug, but M_D_K has some nice grills that look like truck rads here

It's looking gorgeous btw :thumb:

10. fuzzygoblin

i liek your mother board its very pretty :thumb:

11. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I'm no water-cooling expert, but wouldn't it be better to run the rads in parallel? it means they'd both do as much as they can, rather than the second one not really doing much...

12. fuzzygoblin

I dont know alot about waer cooling either but what you said sounds right, so i belive it is being done this way simply for coolness value and bragging rights

13. Butch

Butch What's a Dremel?

WHOA DAMMIT!! those standoffs are smart!!
    I am still to find where i can buy those acrylic rods.... where do you get them from??

like the rads, personal choice i would of gonw with 1 or 2 120.1 or a thermochill 120.2

14. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Haven't checked this log for a while. Very cool looking so far. As for the rads in series or parallel, you can actually work out the dissipation of heat in series, but I can't remember how. In parallel, they should be dissipating equal amounts of heat and since cooler water is closer to ambient temperature, in series the second radiator would be dissipating less heat in the same amount of time.

15. naelq

naelq What's a Dremel?

keep on the good work!
    BTW, good to see another CAMEL smoker!! :hip: :hehe:

16. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

Why is there an AGP riser card in that board?

17. The_Sub

The_Sub What's a Dremel?

I'd venture a guess that he got them from USPlastics
    They carry quite a few things that a modder could use in cool, new, fantastic ways.. :D

18. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Maybe, but it depends on the rad. Every rad has an 'ideal' flow rate where it will operate most effectively. Running the rads in parallel effectivley halves the flow rate to each. Either way, though, you're running a given amount of water through a given area of rad, so the idea of both working to their maximum capability in parallel doesn't really make sense.

Better, IMHO, might be to run the two rads not directly in series, but in separate parts of the loop,

e.g. pump --> 1st rad --> cpu block --> 2nd rad --> gpu / nb block(s) --> (res -->) pump

That way every block gets recently cooled water - you're not feeding water straight from the hot side of one block to the cold side of the other.

Another idea might be to ditch the two elbow pieces between the rads and just run a curved loop. Wouldn't look so neat but would reduce the flow restriction - right angles are hell for flow (partly because of the change in momentum necessitated, and partly because they very often have a narrower ID than the pipes) and cause significant pressure drop, thereby reducing efficiency of system.

19. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

That should clear that up and read up if it doesnt!

NICE PROJECT! I am really liking the idea of everything being integrated. You should figure out a way for a small laptop keyboard to slide out like the monitor. And maybe a compartment for a wireless mouse?

20. SoulsEnd

The rods were purchased (along with alot of other items) at U.S. Plastic. I spent a good two hours on that site going thru every page making sure I didnt miss anything. Yes, bigger would have been better for the rads but this isnt going to be an overclocking rig and the lowest temps arent what im looking for. If I can get my temps lower then a good HSF Im happy :D