1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Columns The Sea of Grey

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 29 Feb 2008.

1. Multiplectic

Multiplectic His Stigness

It beats me, honestly. If I knew so much I should be working at Intel. :p

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

When I was looking for a card I found these ATI and nVidia charts useful. Only cover the chipsets, but you can hopefully compare the capabilities of cards you see in your price range before looking for reviews of the particular brand - sort out how special the "Special Offers" are. ;)

3. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove New Member

Excellent column, I still cant understand why Nvidia released so many cards in the G80 series, aside from the 8800GTX you can choose between the 8800GTS, 8800GT, 8600GT, 8500GT, 8800GS to name but a few. Why so many? Gaming enthusiasts will choose a high/mid-range card but how are people who aren't interested in games going to know which of the low-end cards to buy?

4. xtremeownage

xtremeownage New Member

Hi, guys,,,
    Well my thoughts in all this is Tim did an excellent job publishing this article. I remember the time i bought and 8800GTS 640MB then witnessed a couple of months later the 8800GT 512MB come out. The naming strategy obviously implies that the GTS 640MB version is far superior.Boy was i wrong! :( After hours and hours of digging for benchmarks i could not understand why nvidia droped a bomb on my wallet. I was so pissed off i couldnt be bothered to think about any other gpu's. They release so many cards, change mix up there naming patterns. So i decided to wait and see how the new Gforce 9 series performs... now they do this again ^^. 9600GT>8800GT? ..just confuses the novice user.
    There stationary in the way they do things. All they do is suck up as much money as possible convincing people the 9000 series is far superior than the 8000 series regardless of the naming codes. There suppose to release there High End card first so in retrospect if u want a card to last as long as possible and not be dissappointed in your purchase hit the GTX version of cards. Even if there expensive u will have no choice because GTS is too close to GT..GS.. performance wise anything other than a GTX doesnt really let u enjoy the full experience of graphic realism and all the dx10 features turned up or make u feel stupid down the road when the GT's and GTS come out. Better yet dont buy a GTX and wait until it hits the GTS price range because then its still more powerful than all the other cards. I think a GTX version of cards can be considered a console and every 2 to 3 years replace it with another GTX. Right now i really dont need a new graphics card,, and im sure the 9000 series wont blow my mind and dazzle me unless the 9800GTX is 100% or more powerful than the 8800GTX. Even so -there not that many games around that really push my 8800GTS 640mb except for Crysis.We wont see a game like that for a while.. I just replaced my very 1yr old processor today and switched to Quad Core (overclocked it) and i'm happy because unlike Graphics card Intel processors can be overclocked to a dazzling 180% mark. i can enjoy a whole year of gaming while i sit back with 300 pounds in my account and wait for the Geforce 10 series GTX next year.

A good point to note down is as manufacturing processes get smaller it become less expensive to produce the (cards hence the bomb droped on my wallet) because the 8800GT 512MB was the first 65nm card released for the 8000 series. When nvidia hit 55nm or lower i expect the geforce 10 series to be relatively cheaper than the 8800GTX when it came out.

>>>>>[GRAPHICS]<<<<< ALWAYS HAVE THE BEST PC GRAPHICS CARD FOR THAT YEAR YOU PURCHASED IT.....even if u have to wait for a long time atleast thats time to save up some money. Im not rich but i plan ahead and my purchase of the GTS640MB was the worst thing i ever did. Dont spend cash of medicore cards every six months instead save the money for the next GTX 2 years later (1yr aint a long time). you will still run games on medium and a mixture of high settings if u have a GTX up until the GForce10 series come out.

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

7. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I have always found graphics card specs to be completely opaque. What does GT mean? What does GTX mean? Is GTS better than GTX? How do you compare GeForce and Radeon? What do the base numbers mean? 8600? 8800? What's the difference?

Usually I just take the position of "spend as much money as possible" because unless you are an entertainment technology journalist you have zero chance of figuring it out. The manufacturers need to completely rethink the way they name things.

P

8. Kode

Kode New Member

^^ why? if they made things easier to understand they would lose out on people that think the same way you do and spend as much money as possible :p

I spent £900 on 2 7900GTX's for Sli, 10 minutes later DX10 comes out and it seems like a waste of money, lol

Last edited: 3 Mar 2008
  9. jpinks

jpinks New Member

I totally agree, I build a new pc for myself every 3 or 4 years. I usually buy pretty close to the top end current equip but this is such a mess and with no NEW king of hill even making itself apparent, or even showing a sign of life, I keep waiting thinking maybe its time to chuck PC gaming and go to the consoles. The whole graphics card mess right now is either new budget or 2 year old top end tech. I hope they get back to the old scales because its making me nuts waiting.

Tags: Add Tags