1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Mar 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. veato

veato I should be working

I remember playing Settlers 2 for hours on end when I was younger. I think I went on to play 3 and 4 too but lost it somewhere after that. I would have given this one a go if it wasnt for Ubisofts DRM.

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I LOVED Settlers 2 and 3 (both in original language German, mind)...
    was looking at this to kill my current gaming-drought... but alas. Always-On DRM is a show-stopper for me in low-bandwidth Namibia with 3G that's hideously expensive...

4. Leitchy

Leitchy Member

I seen the title and said Yeessssss. Settlers 2 was one of the first games I played back in the day!

5. Impossible

Impossible Member

settlers 3/4 kind of lost there way imo.

settlers 10th anniversary rocked and got back to the whole settlers and settlers 2 world again. Fingers crossed with the 7th one!

6. veato

veato I should be working

I missed this. I'll have a look. :D

7. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Joe, out of interest, did your internet connection blink and stop your game or anything like that?

8. nukeman8

nukeman8 New Member

No people running around replanting trees now then?
    Always use to like that, no matter how badly you screwed this up, you always had trees and food available

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Not with this game, no. I have had that happen with C&C4 though and out Silent Hunter 5 review had to use press-supplied shots because on the day of publishing we weren't able to log in and play the game.

10. Toxvaerd

Toxvaerd New Member

I jumped this game as soon as i saw it on Steam. Didnt know it was on the way actually. But I was SO disapointed about the graphics at first, and actually just wanted my money back. But gave google a try and discovered that the "upscaling" setting was wrong. When set to high it says that its better quality, but its the other way around.

So if anyone should have the same problem, then set upscalling as low as possible. But it might just be a problem in lower res. Im running in 1280 :)

11. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Member

Used to play a game called Knights & Merchants (IIRC), and that was very hands-off, "workers do their own thing" as well. I quite enjoyed that game, despite the ridiculous difficulty (although I was only very young, so it might have just been that) and the often quite annoying AI pathfiding. Double width roads from the beginning was a must!

I still remain quite interested in this, despite having never played any of the previous iterations and being somewhat put off by some of the issues mentioned in this article.

12. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Well-Known Member

Sorry but Ubisoft can get ****** if they think I'll buy a game with always on DRM. As much as I love the Settlers games I'm not a fan of over bearing DRM. This is also why I have yet to buy Assassins creed 2.

13. j_jay4

j_jay4 Member

I read this and it made me want to play civ4 for some reason, then I thought maybe there's news on civ5, and it's out later this year, exciting!

14. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Ah I cut my teeth on The Settlers 1, way back on my old Amiga 1500. Legendary game, only had a demo at first yet sunk hours into it.

I remember an old Uni flat-mate developed a genuine addiction to The Settlers 2 and had to go cold turkey. Another flatmate started to play it and he had to leave the room whenever we talked about it through fear of a relapse.

Shame what sounds like a solid updated version is spoiled by publisher related problems.

15. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy New Member

Always on internet = No buy.

I hope Ubisoft is losing a lot of sales with this new DRM. I used to buy A LOT of their games, not anymore. Of course they may misinterpret it and announce some PC gaming is dying. shame

16. Motoko

Motoko New Member

Damn Settlers 2 was amazing, I too sunk hours into the demo and even more hours in the full game. All the rest just seemed to lose what ever number 2 had. Number 2 actually made me feel like a real settler who just landed on some new island/land.

17. OnyxLilninja

OnyxLilninja New Member

DRM is the breaker for me. Will not buy.

18. Fiyero

Fiyero Vindaloovian

I agree, DRM means i'm not interested. Which is a shame as i'd quite like it too...

19. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish New Member

Damn, reading through the review i got quite interested about the game ...until i read the last section about the DRM.

No sale because of that :(

20. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Member

As with most of i you i agree putting the always online drm on this product completely peeved me.

And as long as Ubi carry on using this form of protection i shall not be purchasing any of their games.

I guess the only thing we can do is wait for it to be on GOG.com :(

Tags: Add Tags