1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The shadowy organisation that wants to give the UK billions for NOTHING

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Weekly_Estimate, 5 Nov 2010.

1. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

what's your thoughts on this?

I normally pass on things like this but its certainly grabbed my interest.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Nigerian scammers are really spamming everybody these days... :p

TINSTAAFL. Crackpot, con artists or there are big, nasty long-term strings attached (read Neal Stephenson's Interface and you'll get the idea). Given how convincing they sound to even politically experienced ears, yet the petty nature of their modus operandi, my money is on con artists.

Last edited: 5 Nov 2010
  3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Technically, it's TANSTAAFL, "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch". Yes, yours is more grammatically correct, but Heinline wasn't always correct either.

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

makes me sick listening to him, laughing about laundering money for terrorist factions and then saying the Bank of England is his defence.

Look I know as humble citizen of the state, I am feed on a daily basis a load of BS by the media to keep me ranting about the small things in life, but not thinking about the bigger things.

Pricks the lot of them, get my rope and we line them up at the old oak tree.

5. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Yeah he was basically saying "well I don't have as much authority but I've laundered a few billion for the IRA and afrikan terrorists TEEHEE catch me if you can oh btw I work for YOUR OWNERS!"

6. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

My old finance lecturer was a retired cayman banker, went to prison and is now lecturing has stories like this.

I say, gather evidence, get proof as this does seem a little too charitable for my ears.

7. Nexxo

Before we get the rope out for a good ol' lynching, pay attention to them com-pel-i-cated words from that there gentleman. He is not saying that he laundered money for terrorist factions. He is saying that his job was to seek out and sabotage attempts by terrorists to launder money, and how as a result of his efforts the IRA lost a substantial amount of money. But he phrased it in ironic terms and that, of course, often goes over people's heads.

But seriously: if you think that an MP will stand up in the Houses of Parliament and publicly declare that he laundered terrrorist money, I have some good business deals for you that you might be interested in. Please PM me your name, address, passport number, banking details... :duh:

Last edited: 5 Nov 2010
  8. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

It's like you say, but the way he phrased it was just asking for such comments. Especially the "before you go to the police..." part.

9. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Whatever you think of politicians, the guy's a peer and an experienced guy at that. They don't just go around spouting this kind of thing unless they have reason to believe it's worth saying. I just hope somebody is investigating it.

I don't for one minute expect it's genuine, but whoever it is obviously has some serious clout to be able to make this kind of move. Therefore, they're clearly worth knowing about.

10. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

It's SPECTRE. They're going to take over the world, I tell you.

11. Nexxo

I'm still inclined to think con artists.

The modus operandi fits: you approach someone lower down the food chain who feels unacknowledged for their work and play on their vanity ("Only you understand us. Only you can make them understand"). Once you've convinced them you make them your spokesperson for the real target, which in this case is a minister of state. A true believer with personal investment who is known to and trusted by the mark is always more convincing. The pay-off is information or services delivered for the promised money.

The con artists don't have to own large amounts of money: they just have to show the appearance of large amounts of money. They just have to show details of some account with shitloads of money in it. It doesn't have to be theirs. They don't even have to have access to it. They just have to convince their mark that they are the company who owns the account or that the anonymous account is theirs. Easy.

I'm sure they have some clever people and clever access to confidential banking information but the way they are going about it looks to me like a ludicrously classic, basic scam. This is simply not how things are normally done in the world of Big Money.

12. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Aww Nexxo, your right i over looked such sarcastic undertones but i've just got the rope ready. Anybody think of someone else, would be a shame to waste such a good rope....

13. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

As are we all I think. And your logic is sound. Thing is though, somebody somewhere will be looking into it. It's still not made the news, but is already on Wiki and the blogosphere. I'd just be intrigued to see who Lord James thinks it is...

Last edited: 8 Nov 2010
  14. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Seem's like a good idea, we need help, we are heading down the *******.

15. Nexxo

The desperate and the greedy make for the easiest marks. The UK financial sector is both.

In the unlikely event that it is not a con, Foundation X may be a front for China. Think about it: they already own most of our debt. Why not own all our assets as well? A good drug dealer does not only take your money but keeps you hooked with the goods so you keep giving him money. And China knows all about being the UK's junky from the good old days of Empire and the opium wars. If they control its assets and development, they control the nation.

These days the UK is becoming a Third World country: its monoculture economy is failing , and now it is giving over to Cargo Cult fantasy. :rolleyes:

Last edited: 6 Nov 2010
  16. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

17. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

18. Nexxo

That's probably because he is being an idiot. I think that Charles Stross is generally speaking a Sci-Fi writing genius and normally has a grasp on these things that us mere mortals can only aspire to. But like the blogger in Cerberus90's first link he doesn't pick up the man's use of irony and considers the various layers of this.

This is most probably a scam. We can now assume Lord Blackheath has gone gaga, has an easily manipulated fragile ego or perhaps that he is laying a trap for the scammers by publicly declaring he is buying their story. The best way to catch a scammer is to string them along until you know enough to nail them.

Last edited: 7 Nov 2010
  19. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Lol.

This guy just got trolled IRL.

20. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I can imagine the phone calls.. nigerian accent and all