1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Sony difference?

Discussion in 'General' started by Skutbag, 24 Oct 2006.

1. Skutbag

Skutbag What's a Dremel?

Just had a chat with my mate who is a die hard Sony-phile. He's had the PS1 and PS2 at launch each time and paid through the nose both times. Surprise surprise he's got plans to get a PS3 at lauch too. I'm continually asking him whether he's worried about the delays, faults, ridiculous price tag and so on, but nothing shakes his FAITH.

Having worked for Jessops as well, I see a lot of Sony-philes coming in and I am still stunned by their unwavering trust in all things Sony. One choice customer literally told me he had the lot. Sony TV, DVD, VAIO laptop, MP3 player, Camcorder, PS2.... probably a Betamax too. :hehe:

So whats the question? How in the hell do Sony manage to do this to people? In my experience their products have been largely overpriced, with aspirations of being top-of-the-line electronics manufactures when they churn out a lot of frankly mediocre gear? My guess, decades of marketing.

Please feel free to prove me wrong...

2. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

i think the belief is that because they were the first to market a lot of technologies, they're the best

(in fact, many of the things we find common now, came from sony... CDs, and DVDs are the first that come to mind)

3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Sony do (or used to) make top quality hardware. Their faults are with the software and the closed nature of the platform.
    Of course, their big-headedness is annoying too.

4. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I must admit that when it comes to hardware, sony's stuff does just feel solid and more reliable.. whether that is simple because they put small lead weights inside the casing of stuff I am yet to find out. But my psp feels a lot better to hold than the orriginal DS, not so much the mini.

5. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

never had a higher rated brand?

in cost comparison for the low end hardware, they do have nice stuff...

but i wouldn't say the best by any means

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

True. This and the sheer quantity of skill in advertising.

Everyone remembers the Bravia TV, right? And the Sony Vaio? And the PS(n)?

EDIT: And their killing of other companies, viral advertising and rootkits?

Last edited by a moderator: 24 Oct 2006
  7. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

They're the Macintosh of the general hardware world...

8. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I don't rate apple's hardware at all, so thats not the case in my opinion..

the iPod scratches, the laptops moo and occasionally go bang (or at least get too hot to touch)

9. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

I'm wondering how many Sony-philes in the gaming world are sick to their stomach or will be once the news hits mainstream. Lik-sang is no longer all thanks to Sony. All orders that were in process will be refunded and they're working on ponying up money to paypal accounts for any store credit you might have.

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3901

Another reason for me to stay away from Sony. Let's see, we have massive mis-marketing, rootkits, and now massive lawsuits. What's next Sony, you planning on suing the consumer for reselling their PS1/2/3 games and movies?

I honestly don't see how people can put that much faith into a company like Sony. Sure they were alright, but I quit buying their products back when the Xplod series was introduced.

crayfish hit the "Submit Post" button a few minutes before I could finish typign this up.
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=122961

10. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

but surely thats getting back to sony lol.

ive never really bought much sony stuff, ps1 and ps2 of course.. other than that right now the only sony items in the whole house are my k800i and my dads w800i

11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I was originally happy with my w810i, thought Sony hadn't done much wrong with Mobiles, hell their charger for it works with some of my mates phones.

But recently (the unit is about 6 months old) the speakerphone has been playing up, buttons don't always work and the phone sometimes goes off without asking.

12. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

yeh mine just randomly goes off.. not a lot maybe once every few weeks, always when i press the call key to ring someone too. very strange it is.

13. plug_in_ross

plug_in_ross What's a Dremel?

Couldn't agree more. I used to have a Vaio MP3 player with Sonic Stage software. Was quite possibly the worst software I have ever used, extremely annoying. Same goes with my brother's 20GB Walkman MP3 player (I forgot what it's called, NW.. something) with Connect, that's also a pile of steaming horse dung.

The only Sony products Ive ever had were a PS1 (which ended up breaking) and a PS2 (which I only bought for Guitar Hero, off a mate for a tenner). The PS2 will be sold soon however, as I need a new graphics card.

14. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Aye, I have a minidisk player here, and it's still a very nice piece of hardware, but I never put new songs on it becuase of that horrible excuse for software.

15. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Playstation is what is good from Sony, and the PS3 will be good too, however, they are screwing us round right now. Hopefully they will stop all this bull and get back to being a good company.

16. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Well, the playstation 2 plays playstation 1 games and uses the same controllers, which is pretty cool to me. (although I own neither)

As far as solidly built hardware... I've got a disassembled sony VAIO laptop next to me because apparently they aren't so solidly built, and this one probably isn't under warranty either... The guy is going out to buy another laptop, and I'm worried that he'll pick up another Sony. If asked, I would never recommend a sony VAIO laptop unless you plan on replacing it every year or so. (then again, I don't like the tiny lightweight laptops that cost over $2k yet get outperformed by $1k laptops...)

17. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

I think Sony has made some really good products- PS1, PS2, Walkman, Discman, and Trinitron TVs- theres probbably more highly successful products from Sony but those are the ones I can name right now. Granted, Sony has had some flops- like the Betamax and Minidiscs (both technically superior products that just didn't catch on. . .), given the scale of products Sony offers I don't believe their failures outweigh their success.

I like Sony products- I don't believe they are the absolute best, but I trust products from Sony, Pioneer, Toshiba, Samsung and other companies that have been around for years far more than I trust companies like "Ilo" or "Soyo"- both of which appear to be Wal-mart only brand names which have been around for less than a couple years.

L J

18. Skutbag

Skutbag What's a Dremel?

Granted they are one of the major factors in developing new consumer electronics technology... and that has benefits for everyone whether they use Sony products or not.

BUT! It really is amazing sometimes to find a Sony-phile and really grill them about why they go for Sony everytime. Even getting to the point where they almost blame themselves for not understanding or being able to work a product.

This leads on to the PS3 and Sonys bullish attitude towards the rising costs of the platform- as a developer and a gamer. It's really is a two finger salute to us 'in the know'...as they know their solid market of Sony-philes will almost bend over backwards to support them.

Is this putting creativity at risk? Other tech companies have lost a huge amount of their market to Sony before they even get their camera, DVD player or whatever out on the shop floor!

19. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

They have trinitron and ps2 for guitar hero. If they could clean up their image a bit then they would be a great company, they need to work on quality a bit more than they have been.

20. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

im no sonyphile, but i am still using my Sony Minidisk player...it shall not be replaced until it is completly broken (as in beyond my repair), it has lasted me at least 5 years so far :)

My latest computer (laptop) is a sony Vaio, and i must say, it is light, fast, and has a damm shiney screen :)

As for the prices, yes, on launch day, sony stuff is expencive, but wait a while and its no more expencive (sometimes cheaper) that other main brand items.

However, if there is a better product from another manufacturer, that is cheaper, i will probably buy that.

And all this from a non sonyphile...:p