1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Sound of Silence - Everything Water cooled - Update Feb 23

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Alvin, 2 Feb 2005.

1. Alvin

Alvin Guest

Very interresting site indeed. I'll be reading their articles for sure (already read more than half by now). :thumb: Me liking their approach and information.

2. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

WOW

Finaly someone with atention to functionality. I guess sometimes in an eford to make things pretty we forget the reason for doing a mod... Pretty mutch the whole reason to do a mod is to add functionality and perfomance to a pc. Looks like you sucseded wonderfully in this area and the looks of it are very industrila and very sleeper looking.

Gr8 work, Keep it up.

Oh and btw, I am also the proud owner of a hydor pump and I must say they are very quiet and cool running, I have my pump under 3 layers of insulation and the noise is minimalistic.

again keep it up.

3. ciaran.mooney

ciaran.mooney Minimodder

Edit :

- SILENCE Wife

That may end the need for this whole mod though! :D

4. Alvin

Alvin Guest

Very controversial subject you are touching there. Made me stop and think though...... But then again, modders often toy with danger [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks. I may still try to add some looks, but I always first focus on functionality. I suppose I don't really have the patience to fiddle with things, just for the sake of style and shine.

3 Layers of insulation!!! Wow, thats a lot. Don't know if I'll be able to fit that into my rather small PC case. I will however try SOMETHING that's for sure.

I agree that the pump it self is very, very quiet. But it's the vibration that gets me, as it seems to move in the PVC tubes, and make the whole very-thin-metal-case vibrate.

5. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

If you figure out that mod let the rest of us married folk know..

6. Alvin

Alvin Guest

--- a bit off-topic:

LOL :lol:
    Can't say I have it completely figured out. After all I really like the noices she makes when the lights are out :blush:

One Danish TV ad does however give a lot of ideas: "Remember what flowers can do".
    I can also highly recommend John Gray's book: "Mars and Venus in the Bedroom: A Guide to Lasting Romance and Passion".
    It's all the secrets you ever wanted DonJuan to tell you about women!!!

You know what they say: "When mamma's happy, everybody is happy".

Question is though: Does this make her completely quiet???
    The Answer is: Nah, not really, but it DOES seem to give the many sounds a different pitch, that is much more pleasent to listen to.
    I suppose that also is some kind of quietness.

--- a bit more on-topic:
    To really be able to hear if the new Watercooling system was whisper quiet I dared to turn off HER computer last night. And this Morning, IT WOULD NOT TURN ON AGAIN.

Have had to IMMEDIATELY order new parts (motherboard and CPU) to keep the sound here at home bearable.

So maybe there really will be a PURPLE RAIN Mod comming up.

7. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

Nice one alvin! :D
    what temps are you getting?

8. jaguarking11

Well to help you with vibration issues I recomend doing what I did. I bought some small round felt pads that are meant to be put on couch feet and stuck them on my case and my external water case housing witch also houses my pump. That easily helped a huge amount. And if your having problems witch vibration geting to the case I sugest that you use some pvc hose with ribs, you know the flex hoses? They look like vacum hoses but smaller. Give those a try as that type of hose would most likely transmit way less noise.

As for thermal sensors I sugest you stick one on the gpu, one on the hdd, one on the psu and maybe one to the case.

As a rule of thumb tho, dont be alarmed when and if you see your gpu in the 30's and 40's celcius idle as gpu's are bult to run hoter than cpu's.

9. Alvin

Alvin Guest

Not really sure yet. As I have so far only tested the pump and flow, and made sure there is no leaks anywhere.

Have tested the fans though.
    The front one is 1100 RMP with blue lights, and whisper quiet as standard. My two youngest girls (8 and 10) like it a lot (because of the lights), and had me power it up from a different power supply today, to show my brother and his wife, who were visiting today.

As I had the extra power supply set up, I also tested the big 195 CFM @ 3100 RPM Sunnon Extreme 120mm fan I have mounted for the Radiator.
    Too bad I did not have my camera ready, as the ten your old was using it as a hair dryer! Maybe she'll pose for a picture tomorrow.

At 3100 RPM you can of course her it. It's at 63dB, but the sound is not a whine like those small VGA fans, or other 40mm fans. Its just the sound of a nice brezze.
    I'll experiment with PWM controlling it, but may end up just using a LM317 Voltage regulator chip to regulate that fan.

10. Alvin

Alvin Guest

Good idea. I saw those in IKEA just the other day. I'll keep those in mind.

Another good idea. Great, just keep them comming. I'll see if I can find something like that. Or even make a hose like that.

I had been thinking of using a piece of a bike tire rubber tube, but I like the "harmonica" style PVC hoses better.

I am planning on using the MAX1668 temp sensor (have already used it for the past couple of years). It uses cheap Small Signal NPN transistors, which are only a few cents a piece.
    I have already mounted 9 of these in the PSU. Don't plan on using them all, on a daily basis though, but it is a REAL HAZLE to get the PSU out now (have to bleed the water system, AND remove the Radiator, to even have a slight chance of getting the PSU out). So I just mounted sensors at any interresting surface and air strip in the PSU.

Here is a picture. See if you can guess where the 9 temp sensors are mounted.
    [​IMG]
    Click for larger picture (500k, app. 1700x1700 pixel)

From before I already have temp sensors for the front air intake, inside buttom of case, very top inside of the case, PSU air out, Casefan air out (now radiator air out).
    And S.M.A.R.T capable HDs (basically ALL HDs by now) have built in temp sensors. I am using SpeedFan from www.almico.com to monitor those.
    CPU and North Bridge also have built in temp sensors that SpeedFan will read.

That is another 9 temp sensors. And I'll probably find good locations for more, like the MOSFETs, and other chips on the motherboard.
    Maybe some chips on other PCI boards as well.

My old motherboard had capacitors that overheated, and boiled over. My wifes pc just died from the same problem. I'll be watching the new Motherboards closely, to see if this problem happens again, now that I may cut or (in her pc) limit the air flow even further.
    The new motherboards are both ABIT, where the old ones were VIA. VIA seems to now have stopped making standard PC Motherboards. And focus on ITXs with built-in CPUs.

Well, this is one of the reasons I wanted water cooling, as the old NorthBridge ran temperatures of 45-50*C. This was standard for the old MBD even from new (as far as I remember). 30's and into the 40's I'll find okay, but I do not like it when my equipment reaches 50*C as a standard temp with only 20-22*C room temperature.

We'll see very shortly what temps I'll be getting on the ABIT Motherboards.

11. jaguarking11

Sounds very good.

I also would sugest in making a fan shroud for the rear 120mm rad like the ones you find on the new lian-li cases as thats suposed to trim down noise even more.

Also the problem with the capacitors wont show up again for one reason, Back in late 2000 and early 2001 and even as early 99 there was a huge surge in the market of faulty capacitors. every motherboard manufacturer used the same brand because they were cheeper and those capacitors had a crucial electrolite mising form its chemical formula thus making the caps have a very short life span. Its not uncomon to see old motherboards around that have blown caps. You can actualy rescue your mobo again if you wish as all you have to do is find a cuple of junker p2 motherboards and use the caps from them to bring your mobo back to life. And it seems that you have a decent amount of soldering skills to say the least so that should not be a problem.

Hope this is relevant.

12. Sanatarium

Sanatarium The Artist Formerly ATi_Loyalist

unbelieveable, someone who has the exact same ideas in mind, but is far ahead of me.

you sir must be my long lost twin, im just beginning my venture into passive watercooling of every component, as i have been inspired by the likes of the guy at zfz and silentpcreview.com after a semi-failed attempt to use low rpm fans, i do have one suggestion for you though, get rid of that fan! :worried: great work so far, im really enjoying your ideas!! :rock:

13. Alvin

Alvin Guest

Now that explains a lot!!

I actually have tried to replace the faulty Caps on one of the motherboards, but as they were 3300uF and I did not have any of those spare from old motherboards. So I tried to "build" the same or better capacitance by combining 1000, 1500 and 2200uF caps. But the thing would still not start.

Pictures of the failled attempts of replacing MBD Capacitors.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even though I have used very thick wires from the MBD to the Cap-arrays, I think that maybe these wires are the cause of the thing not working.

Anyway, after spending several hours trying to figure out what may have been the problem, and "building" replacement Caps......
    Those holes on the motherboard are also very, very small - I might add. Almost impossible to empty the solder out of, and even more difficult to get any kind of wire into. I had to stick in clip off's of legs from my other electronics projects, and then solder the thick wires to the little stubs of sticks. Quite a pain to work with.
    .... I simply decided to get new motherboards. And choose from the prize range $50-75 a board.

Hmmmm... The wifes PC will be upgraded, but maybe I'll try to salvage the remains and use for a file server server, or even an extra PC for the kids. Also this one is an old PIII thing, and only has 1000 and 1500uF caps. And I have those spare from old MBDs.

I'll be looking into that. Might even be able to fit something to the backwall under the desk.
    Though I am still hoping to find the time (and money) to add that passive cooler, so the radiator/fan will only be used when the weather gets too hot.

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

More likely the ability to DO the modding.

Good luck with the mobo... looks like you'll need it.

15. Alvin

Alvin Guest

Ahh, as you know, great minds think alike. :hehe:

Yes, zfz has some really great looking solutions. I also like the ideas and analysis that has gone into what the guy at benchtest.com has come up with.

As for the fan, it's supposed to be there as an optional extra, as I still want the PC to be able to function as a completely stand alone unit under any circumstances (during moves, when used in the caravan, during heat waves etc.) but the plan definately is to add a completely passiv cooler as well.

I am looking at this Modular Passive convector/Radiator from AquaCool

I am even entertaining the notion of being able to move that passive cooler element between three locations.
    1) hooked to the side of the pc.
    2) located under the window during winter time. We are basically heating up the appartment with all the electrical stuff that are being on all the time.
    3) located outside durning summer time. With all the electric equipment that seem to be on all the time, this adds to the inside temperature during the summer. Might as well transport as much heat outside, rather than having to add an aircondition unit to the rooms.
    Airconditions also add noice and cost to the equation as well.

Looking forward to seeing what ideas you end up implementing for a super quiet PC.

16. jaguarking11

I have seen passive rads being built with simple coper tube and sweting the joints on it.

I will have to dig up a similar project from another guy who actualy made a flly fanless pc. He used a long tube witch he mounted on the wall behind his desk and managed to cool one of the hotest chips of the time withought any fans. He cooled a 1.4thunderbird witch were notoriusly hot running chips. If you do a lil googling you will find that some guy actualy fried eggs on his 1.4tbird.

So I figure you can cool a p4 with the same type of cooling. Oh and another thing. You did not mention whitch type of chip your puting in that machine. I hope you stick away from prescotts as those things run extremly hot. You can still buy c series p4's witch would run that mutch cooler and you may even be able to overclock it a bit with the same cooling.

Another alternative could be geting a radiator from a car (honda civic or similar econbox) and use it pasively. I know that has been done and quite sucsesfully too.

Hope this helps.

17. Anthony

Anthony What's a Dremel?

I've been reading this thread, and I must say, that this looks veery sweet!
    Way to go! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

18. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

Congratulations

Well done Alvin, I'm really glad all your cooling is working and that all the loops are getting good flow. Lets just hope that the single rad is man enough to handle the heat :)

19. Sanatarium

Sanatarium The Artist Formerly ATi_Loyalist

Heres another passive radiator to consider, these are inline tranny fluid coolers, but they would server the same purpose, and also would fit nicely on the top of a case.

20. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

Any updates? i really want to see this finished! as its an inspiration to me, as im playing with the idea of getting most of my rig watercooled!