1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant The state of the job center and their jobs being offered

Discussion in 'General' started by Rhydian, 3 Sep 2015.

1. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I put my "Request" in two weeks ago for Universal Credit as they won't let me get Job Seekers Allowance, but as I am now no longer caring for my mother because I cannot afford to I can get Universal Credit.

Went in yesterday for my first time showing evidence of looking for work, and was told I had not applied for enough jobs even though I have applied for over 100 jobs ranging from Cleaning to Managerial roles etc.

Told I didn't provide enough detail on how many minutes I spent on a site looking for work, hadn't provided enough detail on why I had not applied for specific jobs.

Was told to apply for jobs even though I am not qualified, have no experience in the role and don't meet the requirements.

Have been told I must look for work up to 200 miles away from my house because I can drive but they don't care that I cannot afford to put diesel in my car, because I currently have £5.60 to last me for travel expenses. If I don't I will loose my "Benefits" which I have not even been told how much or when I will get anything,

Was told that even though I have had two interviews in the last week and have 1 more up to now next week, that I have not been for enough interviews and must attend more.

I asked if there was any courses I could do and they said no, whilst the person next to me was being offered courses to help to get him qualified in order to get better jobs, when questioned as to why I couldn't do the same courses I was told that my job experience and previous employment meant that I was, over qualified to do such courses despite have practically no qualifications and no work experience really other than working for Virgin Media on the residential installs, business planning and national network planning aspect.

I have been told that I MUST register with 2 employment agencies and MUST take any work they offer regardless of whether I am physically capable of it, even with my wrist and back injuries that affect my physical ability to do manual labour I must take any job offered and if I mention, my medical history to the agency I will be sanctioned because I will be reducing the work that they can place me in.

When I got to the job centre it was 45 minutes before I was seen even though my appointment was at 14:30pm, and for 30 minutes of that the person I was seeing was gabbing away to the advisor next to her, about what they had planned for the weekend and then when I was called over I was asked why I was late and when I said I wasn't but I was sat there for 45 minutes whilst she was gabbing I was told I would be sanctioned if I called he a liar again.

I hate the way that the advisor's look at you as if you are scum and that you are scrounging of the government, I was close to loosing my temper yesterday but I remembered that if I loose my temper that I will loose money that I need in order to put diesel in my car to go for interviews and pay, back people who have loaned me money to cover diesel for the previous interviews.

The staff at the job centre are a joke.

2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Come on people, far to much anti Torie sentiment expressed here. According to Ian Duncan Smith, Job Centers are wonderful places. Full of helpful people who's sole aim is to help you back into work. There are certainly no targets for sanctions against those naughty people who are not taking all the fantastic jobs on zero contracts and minimum wages.
    And the fact that they wrongly accused me of claiming five and a quarter grand as an overpayment then denying they had got the wrong man for five years whilst deducting a third of my sickness benefit whilst I was suffering from cancer and it's treatment was a simple mistake and it was just unfortunate that the necessary paperwork proving my innocence was 'mislaid' for so long. These things happen.

I wonder where are all the TV programs detailing the shortcomings of Job Centre + as the government propaganda department has worked wonders given the amount of programs detailing the the luxury lifestyles of so many people on benefits.

3. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

From the people I know who have been in the job centre you get a good advisor life is fine. Get a bad advisor and your in trouble.

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Cat Lies Down on Broadway

It is unfair to blame the Job Centre staff, although I know it is very annoying and frustrating. The real problem is Tory government policy, it is the government that is responsible for the conditions they work under and have to enforce against you.

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Cat Lies Down on Broadway

6. Rhydian

Rhydian New Member

Not blaming the staff themselves, although expecting someone to apply for a job that's clearly unsuitable and waste me time was annoying.

The whole system is a farce, imagine how much time and money they could save if work coaches actually were trained to look for jobs.

7. numanoid

numanoid Well-Known Member

Blame that muppet ian Duncan smith, he should be done for manslaughter for all the suicide deaths hes caused.....if this was france the country would be at a standstill, but here we just sit and take all the crap they throw at us...I feel for you and people like you matey....

8. Archtronics

Archtronics Well-Known Member

It's said all the time but it's who you know not what you know when it comes to getting a job.

Every job I have ever gotten has come through a friend or contact. When I was running my business I employed people I had already met or friends put forward.

The job center sucks but best advice I received was to get out the house and talk to people, do some charity work etc.

9. bsp

bsp Member

keeping it brief:

Job centre was horrendous, not useful, actually a detriment to my job hunting. This thread makes me boil with rage.

10. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I was treated horribly by the jokeshop as I call it. Bullied, intimidated, lied to, hung up on, humiliated..I mean I dreaded going. I had depression already and the new way they run the jokeshop is just awful. It made me so ill that I had to sign off onto ESA or I'd have topped myself.

The jobcentre has been privatized and they just don't care. I could probably write a book about all the **** I've been through and seen other people go through because of them *****.

Wrong to call them a jobcentre really, they are a benefits agency, or the knobcentre or my favorite..the jokeshop.

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

it says something about where you live though when the jobcentre building is bigger than the library...

12. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Our is so bad that one bloke crashed his car into it in protest: