1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress The stealthy family entertainment unit

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by storm-83, 4 Jul 2016.

1. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

Reason for the build
    Things were getting a bit weird with the Mobile Family Entertainment Unit.
    It was leaving a trail of a powercord and ethernet wire across the floor where ever it was in use - and we ended up not using the mobility of the unit.

This new build
    Has happened because we wanted a bigger screen, we discussed a projector, but settled for a tv.
    We bought an ikea kallax 4x1 black shelving unit, and dug up 2 "door thingies" (don't remember their actual name). Using an extension of 2 of the rooms for a stereo amplifier, on door thingie for wires and stuff leaving;

The mod
    The idea of this mod / hack, is to completely stealth the pc, and as many wires as possible, from sight in the livingroom.

[​IMG]

I have reused the mobotray from my old build, cut out io-access and exterernally mounted fans for my cm seidon 240.
    I used 1.2mm steel for a bracket to sandwiched between rad and fans

[​IMG]

I used a sheet of perforated steel for a false front, behind the front door. This is suppeted by a couple of angle brackets, and a length of thread rod and mounting bolts. The rod has been covered by a piece of copper tube, used for plumbing.

[​IMG]

I mounted the psu with a couple of angle brackets - will revisit this later, migrated the hardware (same as my old build), and used the false front as a fan mount. 4 nfp-12's @5v and 2 silverstone airpen 120 as exhaust on radiator @7v

[​IMG]

Put it in the shelve

[​IMG]

Connect everything and close the door

[​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Jul 2016
  2. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

Bah
    By this time i had hoped to have had another proper update.
    But i am still;

awaiting a used gtx 780 from a friend, as an upgrade to my 660ti

and i am still fighting resonance issues that are, as of yet, unresolved.

I knew that resonance could be a problem, but it's much more annoying than i had feared. So far, no amount of foam and padding have been enough to fully isolate vibrations from my seidon 240m. I have eliminated alot of it, but...

Further, i had hoped to be able to purchase a cm 212 evo and prep my seidon for the new gpu...

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Go to the toy store. Get several of those super-squishy silicone balls. Jam those suckers between your case and the cabinet.
    -Results not guaranteed, but it sounds like a fun way to tackle the problem.

4. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

I think the next step is going to be lining the outside of the case with black felt, which will help isolating thw case from the shelfing unit - problem is ikea did a really good job of making the "door thingy" fit very snuggly, so not much room...

After that i will try lining the inside of the case with some kind of foam, and make 2 removeable foam pads from accoustic foam to stop sound from bouncing around the left wall and top

5. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

Well, i have tried a lot of things in relation to the resonance issue, and the thing that seems to have the most impact, was bracing the back-panel with a metal strip.
    This has led me to ponder the possibility of making a makeshift backpanel from a piece of steel.
    making a new panel also lets me revise the layout of the internal components, and i would like to move the psu below the mobo, in order to make the internals more clean, and easier to work with.

The back panel would look something like this;
    [​IMG]

Questions related to the picture above:
    how well does radial fans work, and would 2 of those work well as exhaust as shown above ?
    how much do radial fans resonate?

6. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

The actual layout is not bad in my opinion.
    Have you already tested the temp with only two fans in the front (2 on the botton) ?

About resonance... you can make 4 holes /recesses on the base, to hold some rubber feet.
    In this way you should have a little height difference and adjust a little bit the door (mine has the opportunity to be adjusted)

Grey mesh :nono: must be balck :D