1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress The Theory of Everything. Dec. 21st. End of the world? Have some final pics. :-)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Angel OD, 29 Oct 2011.

1. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Small update.

I've been busy elsewhere, and haven't had the opportunity to get any real progress.

The guy who's doing most of the electronics have less than a month left to finish his ph.d. thesis so he's been pretty caught up in that. Although I tried to reason with him he still thinks that's more important than this!? (joke, he actually asked if he needed to finish it up, or if it could wait a month. I decided to cut him some slac :) )

It's almost done though, here's what we got so far:

The scematics:

[​IMG]

The print:

[​IMG]

And the whole damn thing:

[​IMG]

Apparently there was a bit of work in it... So much work for such a little detail! :lol:

But I havn't been lazy at all!

Since I knew I would not finish this in time for my gf's birthday, I had to think of something else. I recalled she talked about always wishing for an R/C car when she was a kid, but never got one.
    Now I'm no stranger to that type of thing, and I decided to pull my stuff out of the basement and build her one of my old parts. I have one rolling car, and 3 others for parts. It's the cheapo HBX cars, but they are quite good for starting up (She said that if she didn't get the pc, the gift could not cost more than $1) Even with all the parts I had, I still went a little over budget, but don't tell her! :lol:

After painting, but before fixing around the windows:

[​IMG]

Bling bling:

[​IMG]

She frikkin loves that thing! The perfect gift from the perfect boyfriend! :naughty:

That's it for now. I was hoping to get further the next couple of days, but we need to clear out the entire workshop to have the floors redone.
    So it's be a week or 2... Have faith my friends, it will get done! :) Now the deadline is June 20th (ish) can't remember the exact date of her last exam. :)

2. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Yet another small update.

I've had a 1/4" tap and a guide in my jacket-pocket for ages, and decided it was time! :lol:

The thread in the rads were a bit dirty, so I couldn't get the inserts in.

I filled the radiators with demineralized water (yeah, we have it on tap at work :rock: ) To make sure that the dirt could be rinsed out by putting the rad upside down.

[​IMG]

Teflon tape on the inserts. The rule of thumb I learned was to give it 7 turns. It may seem like a lot, but it never fails. :)

[​IMG]

Inserted:

[​IMG]

Next thing is to mount these 4 fittings on the pumps. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I'll cut the plastic inlets/oulets and make an M8x0,5 fine thread. It seems like the best idea with regards to the thickness of the plastic and diameter of the fittings.

[​IMG]

Also I need to make an angle bracket for the 2 pumps. Hopefully I'll get these things done soon! :)

3. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

You guys know me. I know what I want to do, and also how to do it. But this time I need your help. I'm really in a bind here, so please talk to me! :)

To start up, I need to show you a pic of what we cleared out of the workshop today. We had to make room for new materials, so we threw this out:

[​IMG]

Now the thing you need to help me with has been kind of a secret, but it's the next thing on the to do list.

The top of the case will feature a dvd drive on a hinge. So my question is; should I keep it "stealthy", or open it up? I hope the pics will explain! :)

I have a choice of 2 options;

1. Open the top so you can see the dvd.

[​IMG]

2. Leave the top closed so it seems "stealth".

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think! :)

Ps. We didn't throw out the material I showed you earlier, but I do hope I made someone spill their coffee! :lol:

Phyonics, Waynio and KoSoVaR^ like this.
  4. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

When I first saw that card, and you said "threw it out" I assumed it would be a "and it somehow ended up in the trunk of my Volvo" (or do you have that Nissan already?)

Anywho, I'm torn for the open vs stealth... I like the stealth for the clean look, but the open would be cool when it's got a CD/DVD in it. But how often is that? I don't know... crap! Probably stealth. There, done.

Last edited: 16 May 2012
  5. Guest-89078

Guest-89078 Guest

It certainly made my eyes widen a bit :jawdrop:

I prefer the look with the top closed :)

6. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

7 TURNS?! Holy hell son. I do 1, and overlap a tad. Jeeezus.

And stealth. I'm all for clean.

7. Druyii

Druyii What's a Dremel?

I'd say stealth, because, like Achron, I would prefer a clean look. Having said that having a rotating disk underneath an atom symbol does seem strangely awesome and I would actually like to see that too, so quite torn there. Nice to see some progress though ;)

And that r/c (aside from the colour) looks sweet ;)

8. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

Its looking very good martin :D, hey btw i really need some help with the waterblock... I sat 12hours today at the desk and remade the whole block and measures like a freaking maniac... the basis is all done i just dont know how to make the oring-channel, how thick it should be, where it should be placed (Plexi/POM top or copperbase ?) etc etc :)

Make me a PM and i will give you the new file :)

+rep btw!

Edit do you have some copper that i could have for my block since you throwing it ?

Last edited: 17 May 2012
  9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Lightly engrave the stealth one with the atom symbol, we've seen your engravings & they are beyond perfect dude so maybe apply some of that awesome 3d look engraving to it, like Mosquito said opticals get used but don't get used a lot, I rarely use mine but it's there for when I need it & I do use it still so is still a needed part to me & many, will probably become obsolete like floppy drives eventually which I started using external for because using those has become extremely rare for me, the window mod would look really awesome I'm sure whenever a disc is in & spinning but unless it gets used quite a bit I'm not sure.

But if it's technically doable why not do the atom symbol itself as the window along with detail engraving instead of a plain circle, I think that could look so damn awesome mate if it's doable & to be honest I don't see why it wouldn't be. :)

So I think either the atom symbol itself as a window instead of a plain circle with engraving or a nice 3d look engraving on the plain one because either 1 of those would be a huge +1 to the theme. :)

Nice thoughtful & fun alternative stand in bonus present BTW. :):clap:

10. Phyonics

Phyonics What's a Dremel?

I think you should go with the stealth option it will make it look really clean, and as other have said, how often will you have a disk in it?

11. Asouter

Asouter --------

I'm with Wayne on this one, a combination of both, retain the 'Stealth' look but just with the atom symbol as the window (no circle)
    :D

12. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

or just engrave the atom on the cover with no window? Another option

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

As much as I'd love to see you do a window in the drive, the new generation drives can put an eye out without proper shielding.
    -I want to see someone make a DVDRW laser cig lighter, BTW...

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

True
    Engrave the atom symbol then on the stealth one, would be a nice touch to it I think especially in that 3d look engraving. :)

15. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Heh... Still the volvo, gonna pick me up a skyline next spring! :)

Stealth - Check.

Top closed - Check.

That's what I was taught, and I'll stick by it. The teflon is dirt cheap, so no need to save there! :)

Stealth - Check.

With the risk of sounding like a complete homosexual, I kinda like the color... :worried:

It was about time with some progress, I agree! :)

Stealth - Check.

I got your mail, but it still gives errors when I import it. Have you milled out the center for the water?
    No copper from here, sorry! :)

Stealth with engraving - Check! :)

The work going into making the atom the only open part kinda makes me feel ill... :lol:

Stealth - Check! :)

Stealth - check! :)

Stealth with engraving - Check. :)

Stealth for safety reasons - Check! :)

Stealth with engraving - Check :)

So all in all, there seems to be an agreement here.

I was leaning towards stealth. Stealth with engraving might be really cool, I'll see what I can get do in SolidWorks.

Actually Cheaps just reminded me of an important thing. The safety! And since I work with lasers at work (they are a LOT more powerfull than a cd laser) I can't really get my head around that I missed that... So that closed the deal. Stealth it is, and maybe with engraving if I can make it look good! :)

Thanks a lot for the input guys, I really appreciate it! :thumb:

Hopefully progress should follow next week. I have no access to the workshop this weekend as the floors are being overhauled.

16. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Being a fan of both stealth AND seeing the guts of a dvd drive and the spinning disc, i have to vote to open it up

[​IMG]

17. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I say open her up and have a nice back light in there.

18. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

+1 on that idea :thumb:

19. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

BLUEHORSESTUDIOS I haven't lost a finger yet!

Amazing work Angel, great attention to detail.

20. matiss

matiss Minimodder

As I´ve seen some of your work so far I join in on stealth with engraving ;)