1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress The Theory of Everything. Dec. 21st. End of the world? Have some final pics. :-)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Angel OD, 29 Oct 2011.

1. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

I like the idea, and that looks great! :)

Right now the idea is to go stealth.

Thanks for the advice! There will be some light involved no matter what... :)

Thanks! :)

Thank you very much sir! :)

That is the idea for now! :)

IF I decide to open it up, it will only be partially to make sure no one get's blinded by the laser! :)

Small update:

Finally got around to making another thread in an angle fitting so the CPU block is now completely done! :)

[​IMG]

Also as you see, I made the first pump top. Don't really care about looks and acrylic tops as they will be hidden. But it actually looks pretty cool! :)

[​IMG]

That's it for now. I'm ready to go on, so the updates should be coming at a steady flow from now on. :)

2. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

I don't quite understand why you would want to go with the stock tops on those pumps.
    Performance is waaaaaay better with also any aftermarket top and, in case you didn't know, Coolbits.dk are shutting down for good at has 40% off of everything right now. Who knows? You might stumble upon a couple of really cheap aftermarket DDC tops there?

3. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

I have 2 tops in a box somewhere, but I was under the assumption that if you don't use the top inlet on the aftermarket ones, there were not that much of a difference.

Also my own theory of watercooling is that too slow flow is bad, and so is too high flow. Which flow is the perfect for a loop must depend on a number of different things/parts.

I put it to you; The flow that the stock tops on my pumps give, will result in the lowest temperatures in my specific setup. Now can you prove me wrong? :p

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

At the very least peel the stickers off of them.:(

As for the optical; I also haven't owned a drive that lasted more than 3 or 4 years. An enclosure would be the best option. (Bloo's had 3 of them already.)

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

CPU block is a beauty mate, much nicer fittings on the pump also. :)

6. HCP

HCP Minimodder

Nice, really like this. Hard core work, nice to watch!

7. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

:jawdrop: How the hell did you know there were stickers on them? They are not in any of the pics I have showed so far! :lol: I will! :)

I will make something that makes it relatively easy to swap to another drive in case it breaks. :thumb:

Thanks man. :) Good looks a a cheap price, you just can't beat that! :)

Thanks a lot! :) Really happy you like it! :)

8. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Yet another very small update:

I made a bracket to hold the pumps today. It seems like it's going to fit it pretty well, but time will tell. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess the next thing is to go head on with the dvd-drive. Mounting the drive, the peripherals, and all that stuff. :)

9. Paslis

Paslis Minimodder

Nice work mate. :D The cpu block looks great and i also like the fittings on the pump they look much better then some clamps on a hose. :thumb:

10. Nutman

Quote from Martin's Liquid lab:

"I did experiment with side inlet performance on my initial DDC 3.2 testing and found that performance suffered significantly to the point where the stock top performs better in many cases. I would not recommend using anything other than the center/top inlet and side outlet for performance gains, anything other than these optimal locations will dramatically reduce performance. Using the side inlets basically gives you stock top performance with the convenience of G1/4 fitting barbs and the aesthetic improvements of the top selected."

So, you're right about that one.

However, since I have no idea how you're going to mount the 2 pumps or whether or not you're going with 1 loop or 2, might I suggest something like this?

http://skinneelabs.com/xspc-dual-top-preview/

I'm not even going to try. :D

11. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Thanks man! :) I'm really happy with the block myself! And the fittings were just a damn bargain, so I decided not to make my own on this one! :)

:read: (GOD I live using that! :lol: )

Jokes aside; From the start I decided to go with red and blue fans, red and blue SMD led's and 2 loops; one red and one blue! :)

If I was going to go with 2 pumps in 1 loop I would have made a top for it, so you are not at all wrong with the link! :)
    But going with 2 loops and with the amount of room I have left, I would need to use a 90 degree elbow for the top inlet and that would ruin the whole idea. :)

12. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Bollocks! Q=c*m*delT. Higher the mass flow rate, higher the heat transfer capacity, lower the delta T.

13. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

As you say, Mass Flow rate! That must mean that mass and flow will give result. Huge flow and small mass will give the same as medium flow and medium mass. (objectivally speaking) A high flow will only give what you can pull out of the blocks. :)
    Too high a flow will not be able to pull enough heat from the block into the rad!

14. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Progress time. :)

I got started on the top for the dvd-drive. Lexan part setup in the mill:

[​IMG]

Lexan done, and I also milled the piece I had left over from cutting out the top of the case:

[​IMG]

Put together:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Test fit in the case:

[​IMG]

Top in:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that could have been a lot worse! :)

The position of the dvd-drive:

[​IMG]

With the top:

[​IMG]

Now I have to get everything put together, it should be somewhat easy now that I have all the parts. :)

Until next time! :)

Livio and Waynio like this.
  15. Nutman

16. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

Thats soooooooo sick, totaly awsome dude!

17. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Just gorgeous! As well as a nice idea, fit and finish is perfect. :thumb:

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Yes indeed :D that is a beautiful stealth drive. :clap: rep :D

19. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

20. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

awesome! just awesome! :clap: