1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding The Thermaltake Shark Case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by XplicitContent, 13 May 2005.

1. XplicitContent

XplicitContent What's a Dremel?

I asked Thermaltake if the hdd cages in the case was removeable without modifications, and unfortunately, he said it wasnt removeable without some custom modifications. This pissed me off, as I wanted to keep the hdd cages if I were to ever add more hdds. Currently, I am using a hdd cooler case for the 5 1/4" bay, so the hdd cages seems like it wont be useful and so I could put my water pump there on the bottom. So here is the thing, I wanted to know what would be the best thing to do, keeping some hdd cage spots (at least 1 or 2) underneath the floppy bays and just taking out the rest of the bottom for the water pump. What is the best technique to doing this? Dremel, jigsaw, chainsaw, lightsaber...? This is a shame, I was planning on not screwing up a $160 case because I am on a budget and dont want to ruin it.

Suggestions and help would be appreciated. Thanks guys. :dremel:

2. SteakTheMooCow

SteakTheMooCow What's a Dremel?

I'd say Dremel... um, you can buy HDD bays that mount in the 5.25" bays... check them out :)

3. XplicitContent

Do you guys know if I can just stick a pump the size of an Eheim 1250 (7.1") on the bottom of the case in the hdd cages? If I wont be able to, I might stick a smaller pump there then. If that isnt the case either, I will then proceed with dremeling the bottom of the hdd cages until it fits the pump and whatnot?

Because I might get the Thermaltake Bigwater Kit for now, it said on numerous sites and in its description, that the case mainly supports water-cooling for this kit. Problem is, where do I stick the pump even with my pci cards, and agp card in the mobo without the pump touching or near it? Thus, the only room is in the hdd cage on the bottom, but will it fit there? That is my main question. Because I dont have the case and cant get exact measurements, or even the kit, I wont know, so thats where you guys come in.

Thanks for the help. :)

4. SteakTheMooCow

Thermaltake.com has some pictures with the bigwater installed? I dunno if it helps, but thats how I'd work it out :)

5. XplicitContent

The only pics I seen with the Bigwater in a Shark case, is the pump is in the spot where the pci cards go. Now, unless it can fit between the pci cards and the side of the case, I dont really have a spot to put it unless its in the hdd cage on the bottom. I'd have no problem putting the pump between my biggest pci card and the side of the case as long as I have room for it and not making feel 'squeezed' in there. But since all the pics of the pump in the case are in the spot I decribed, there was no pci slot cards in place, so I wouldnt know if it fits there.

Any ideas as I check some more sites would be appreciated plz. Thank you for your suggestions and help!

6. SteakTheMooCow

um, the pump is on the floor of the case... why do you have so many PCI cards anyway?

7. XplicitContent

Nvm, I checked with the site again and their reviews, it seems like they put the pump between the space of the pci slot cards and the case side, by hanging it on these things so it is suspended and not touching the floor. So now I have a spot to place the pump as I now know I have space for it there.

As for pci slots, I need at least 2-3, for modem and ethernet, other.

But now I solved the case, so thanks for your help guys!